• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

YSDR

with good acoustic design, you can make a state of the art speaker just using normal biquads/PEQ. Your results will be entirely dependent on how well you do your polar measurements.
Yes I think so too. Personally, I don’t crave the FIR so much.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[QUOTE="617, post: 607232, member: 6871] with good acoustic design, you can make a state of the art speaker just using normal biquads/PEQ. Your results will be entirely dependent on how well you do your polar measurements.
Yes I think so too. Personally, I don’t crave the FIR so much.[/QUOTE]

FIR is useful for room correction technologies which I don't pretend to understand, but for making speakers with perfect time domain behavior? Don't believe the hype. If I was making a state of the art speaker I wouldn't hesitate to use the hypex amps.

YSDR

Btw, I tried DIRAC Live and other room/phase/time correction solutions, but I didn't heard anything special with any of them (compared to PEQ) other than big delays to the sound, which is a game breaker for me (assumming I am not alone with that).

Last edited:

nm4711

How flexible is HFD? Can you learn to build any crossover filter with it?

Also i noticed you have the 100W extra tweeter amp version, do they match the gain of that extra unit with the two 250W amps? I’m thinking of using FA123 too.

I have got a pair of FA 122, and I am happy with them.

A friend of mine has a pair of FA 253 and is happy, too. While we installed them we discovered, that the gain from the tweeter amp is actually lower. But I think it is good this way, so you get even lower noise in the tweeter channel. After that I have read somewhere that it is 5 dB(?) lower, but I cannot remember where. Also I think the gain between the 125, 250 and 500 W models differs by 3 dB each, as the power does.

lambda_unit

Just keep in mind that you need one fusion amp per channel. And you have to do the integration in a box yourself.

Oh, that's disappointing -- I suppose the idea is that you would bridge the two outputs? :/

YSDR

I prefer miniDSP PWR-ICE simply because their software runs on macOS, and Hypex's doesn't AFAIK.
That's a reason too :), but shame that miniDSP have only 2-way modules and the amps have only one digital input, which is unfortunately the least used digital connection in home environment AES/EBU (in the case if someone insists to digital input).

Last edited:

YSDR

Oh, that's disappointing -- I suppose the idea is that you would bridge the two outputs? :/
"Per channel" can be a little misleading wording. You need one amp per loudspeaker, be it 1, 2 or 3-way loudspeaker. If one wants more than 3-way, then more amps needed to be daisy chained.

lambda_unit

"Per channel" can be a little misleading wording. You need one amp per loudspeaker, be it 1, 2 or 3-way loudspeaker. If one wants more than 3-way, then more amps needed to be daisy chained.

Right, so the upshot is that you can't buy one of these and get stereo sound, even if you have >1 driver, you just get mono sound. I guess that makes sense for what it's intended to do.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Hi!

I have been using these (two FA253) for 2 years now and have nothing to complain about (knocking on wood). They are rich in features and sounds really good. The software (HFD) may be a little weird for beginners, but it can be learned quickly. Feel free to ask if you are curious about something.

They are now used by some manufacturers to powering even high-end speakers. For example:
Lyravox loudspeakers

Same comments from here! FA123 project thread https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/322839-seas-mr18-3-a.html
FA discussion https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/306815-hypex-fusion-plate-amps.html

Mine are fed by RCA separately for L/R. I've read people have difficulties with making digital chaning to work.
I haven't updated firmware, because speakers work so well and are at my daughter's apartment.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I should have written "per speaker". It is obvious when these amps are used for active speakers, less with passive ones.

DS23MAN

I was told by a contact at Hypex that this generation would not be FIR capable, that new hardwire was required (and in development). That was a long time ago though, so I'm not sure if it's still the case. It is conceivable that they've managed to do it with the existing hardware, perhaps with fewer taps per sampling rate. Would be great if so.

There will be a new version in the near future. DSP has been upgraded from adau1450 to 1452. A larger pic controller was needed because there was no space left. And yes, Fir's on the input and output channels.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There will be a new version in the near future. DSP has been upgraded from adau1450 to 1452. A larger pic controller was needed because there was no space left. And yes, Fir's on the input and output channels.

Thanks @DS23MAN. So to clarify, the FIR fitering will be available only with the new (1452-based) hardware, and not simply through an upgrade to the firmware of the existing units?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are they going to make 4 channel plate amp? Might be a niche product but if they make it they can get all the orders from people wanting 4 channels.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are they going to make 4 channel plate amp? Might be a niche product but if they make it they can get all the orders from people wanting 4 channels.

You can get two 3-way units and use them in BTL mode to get 4 drivers running.

YSDR

You can get two 3-way units and use them in BTL mode to get 4 drivers running.
Or a 3-way + 1-way for a budget friendly option, although that would put out less power than two 3-way.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or a 3-way + 1-way for a budget friendly option, although that would put out less power than two 3-way.

If the 1-way is a subwoofer then yes that option would be better, but without matching units the crossover can be hell for anything else.

Top Bottom