• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

TaxTime

dac8 Stereo v1.2 firmware now available for download with instructions at https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm.

Anybody try it yet?
I installed it more because it's the only way their dedicated ASIO driver will work (compared to the previous DIYINHK drivers they used to issue).

There are also a few more controls that are specifically geared to measuring.

IN MY CASE, I had the following issues:

1. Initial attempts through Windows 11 would appear to fail (looked like nothing was happening). Because of this, I noticed the samples of the process was via the Command Prompt screen, so I tried the update via Command Prompt. It still failed, but now I could see why.

a. It was able to see/find the dac8; however, there was something about either the existing firmware (1.12) or the board build that made it not work (see attached) - not clear what it was referring to with "1.50."

2. Emailed Okto, and Pavel said to try the "other OS" method (using Mint Cinnamon), and that worked - on the third attempt.

a. The first two times, it failed right after the "USB firmware upgrade done." It would not get to the "front panel upgrade" part and the unit would remain at 1.12.
b. The third time everything went through fine, and it was updated to 1.2.

I don't know what made me try 3 times - dumb persistence, perhaps, but I'm glad I did.

I emailed my experience to Pavel, and he surmised that the Windows attempt may have borked something that caused the Linux/Mint method to fail a couple of times...maybe. Realistically, if you already have Linux, it will probably work just as well. I can't imagine there's something about using Mint that would make it work better otherwise. I just opted for Mint because it was the method recommended, and no matter which distro I used, it would have to be via USB boot anyway.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 190231.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 190231.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

rickyhgarcia

Hello,

Seriously considering ordering this DAC, however, I am connecting it to a vintage pre-amp (Audio Research SP-12 and/or Creek Audio OBH-12) with only RCA connectors.

1)According to the DAC´s owner´s manual, I must place a transformer type hardware between the DAC and the preamp. Or use Benchmark cables (floating pin 3) at a considerable loss in performance and only for subwoofers.

The Neurochrome board seems like the best option performance-wise, however, I do not know how to build a box with connectors and a power unit. So that leaves a tranformer type deal, like the Jensen ISO-MAX PI-2XR, or the Decware model ZBIT, which is another electronic unit in the signal path and a considerable increase in total cost.

If I am getting a significant loss in performance when connecting to my vintage preamp, why should I buy this DAC?

2)I have built a Raspberry Pi/Allo DigiOne Signature streamer. This piece only has a coax output. Would I do better using the box I built, or using the internal R-Pi with OKTO´s USB bridge?

I sent this via email to OKTO Research....

rickyhgarcia

Been using the Dac8 Stereo with NEUTRIK NA2FPMF, still sounding wonderful. Tried different DACs with single end out put in the same setup, Matrix Audio etc... I end up with using the Dac8+Neutrik.
View attachment 291201
Thank you for your reply....

This is from the DAC8 owner´s manual:

Warning: We strongly discourage the use of balanced-to-unbalanced cables and converters. Doing so will result in significantly decreased analog performance due to the short they present to the output of the dac8 Stereo's analog stage, potentially overloading it and risking damage after long-term use with high signal levels. Warranty does not apply to units with analog circuitry damaged by using XLR to RCA cables and converters.

The NEUTRIK NA2FPMF that you are using is just a cable converter, for which the warning above was written. You need a transformer. The Neutrik NA2F-DOB-TX is such that, and I guess what is required and/or recommended by Okto.

JHC

Forum Donor
Thank you for your reply....

The NEUTRIK NA2FPMF that you are using is just a cable converter, for which the warning above was written. You need a transformer. The Neutrik NA2F-DOB-TX is such that, and I guess what is required and/or recommended by Okto.
Thanks! will give Neutrik NA2F-DOB-TX a try.

JHC

Forum Donor
Hi, deleted my previous reply cause it was misleading.

Had the local cable shop built a Pin3 floating cable, Neutrik XX XLR -> L-2T2S -> Neutrik Profi RCA

Worked as intended, sonically acceptable to me for the purpose.

shawnwes

I've been using mine for about 6 months which I picked up on USAM after waiting patiently for over a year hoping online ordering would re-open. For digital I listen exclusively to ssd stored flac files ripped from cds via HQPlayer 4 using balanced cables. I thought it was very good but didn't bring the magic. Then I decided to invest in an upgrade to the bog standard usb cable I'd been using. I purchased a 1.5m Viborg on Amazon for about $40 CAD. Huge difference in SQ. Quite shocking really as the common comment on usb cables is "they're all the same". Nope that's not true. I love the Okto Dac8 stereo. This coming from someone who has a serious investment in a tt rig and lps.

Last edited:

Feyire

Any other early DAC8 Stereo adopters like myself with firmware version 1.00, try the firmware upgrade?

Mine stays stuck on the following message seemingly forever (using the Linux method):
"Upgrading USB firmware to intermediate version 1.41, do not disconnect...

TaxTime

Are you sure you're using the Stereo version of the upgrade - the current firmware in the latest update is 1.2, whereas I the Pro update is 1.5. Both updates come in the same zip file.

Mike Rubin

dac8 Stereo v1.2 firmware now available for download with instructions at https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm.

Anybody try it yet?
I had no success with it, trying to update from 1.11.

Using the Windows update method and file, I can update the driver but the firmware itself won't update.

Using the USB update method and software, which Okto recommends after an update failure, I couldn't even get Terminal to run in the recommended Linux Mint OS. Clicking on it just brings up the equivalent of the hourglass and then... nothing. (Google discloses that others have had an issue getting Terminal to run in Mint.)

If you were successful, how did you accomplish it?

Mike Rubin

I installed it more because it's the only way their dedicated ASIO driver will work (compared to the previous DIYINHK drivers they used to issue).

There are also a few more controls that are specifically geared to measuring.

IN MY CASE, I had the following issues:

1. Initial attempts through Windows 11 would appear to fail (looked like nothing was happening). Because of this, I noticed the samples of the process was via the Command Prompt screen, so I tried the update via Command Prompt. It still failed, but now I could see why.

a. It was able to see/find the dac8; however, there was something about either the existing firmware (1.12) or the board build that made it not work (see attached) - not clear what it was referring to with "1.50."

2. Emailed Okto, and Pavel said to try the "other OS" method (using Mint Cinnamon), and that worked - on the third attempt.

a. The first two times, it failed right after the "USB firmware upgrade done." It would not get to the "front panel upgrade" part and the unit would remain at 1.12.
b. The third time everything went through fine, and it was updated to 1.2.

I don't know what made me try 3 times - dumb persistence, perhaps, but I'm glad I did.

I emailed my experience to Pavel, and he surmised that the Windows attempt may have borked something that caused the Linux/Mint method to fail a couple of times...maybe. Realistically, if you already have Linux, it will probably work just as well. I can't imagine there's something about using Mint that would make it work better otherwise. I just opted for Mint because it was the method recommended, and no matter which distro I used, it would have to be via USB boot anyway.

I had a similar experience upgrading from 1.11, as I just posted, but, unlike you, I never got the USB stick method to work at all.

According to the instructions for the USB method, I should have been able to bring up a Terminal option by right-clicking in the white space on the Mint Desktop. That didn't work so I clicked on Terminal in the application menu. Unfortunately, that only brought up the Linux equivalent of the hourglass, which spun and spun until I was dropped back to the desktop again.

I gave up after the third or fourth USB stick installation.

Emailed Pavel, but he's never been quick about responding, so I await a response a few days after.

TaxTime

As I posted elsewhere, the update failed with Windows 11. It looked like nothing was happening, but what was actually happening was the process was faulting out immediately so all I saw was a flash of some window. Suspecting it was so, I manually ran the update via Command Prompt and saw it was borking about half way through.

I emailed Pavel and he recommended the Linux Mint method. Note it's NOT that it would only work via Mint, but it's because that is what they used in their test environment, so that is the distro they recommend.

Not wanting to open up the Dac8 to insert an SD with a clean distro, I used Mint loaded as boot on a stick. Note that when doing so, you usually have to change the boot parameter in your bios, and it can take quite some time for it to actually boot to a screen (my W11 mini pc took about 4 or 5 minutes to finally boot to a screen).

I ran the update via Terminal, and it actually failed three times, but being stubborn, I tried it yet again, and it finally took. Pavel thinks Windows may have disrupted something to cause the update to fail with Linux (at least for a few times).

During failures, the process was not getting to the prompt about checking the display.

I assume you used Mint Cinnamon? For myself, I had no problem running Terminal once the OS was up and running, though I noticed almost everything about it ran slower on a USB stick.

Mike Rubin

I assume you used Mint Cinnamon? For myself, I had no problem running Terminal once the OS was up and running, though I noticed almost everything about it ran slower on a USB stick.
Thanks. Yes, I used the Mint Cinnamon USB stick image linked in the instructions. The terminal window never opened. As mentioned, I got dumped back to the desktop after the "in process" spinner icon displayed for awhile.

I gave up at that point and emailed Pavel. No word from him regarding Plan C.

TaxTime

I am not that technically astute, but EXACTLY of what value are undithered measurements? Are there a lot of recordings that don't have added dither?

If undithered measurement is really so pertinent (I assume it does have value, or Stereophile would not bother with the time/expense of testing every DAC), is there a reason why @amrithd, et al., do NOT include such measurments?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not that technically astute, but EXACTLY of what value are undithered measurements? Are there a lot of recordings that don't have added dither?

If undithered measurement is really so pertinent (I assume it does have value, or Stereophile would not bother with the time/expense of testing every DAC), is there a reason why @amrithd, et al., do NOT include such measurments?

The -90 dBFS 16 bit undithered test gives an indication of low-level linearity and noise performance. Amir's dynamic range measurements are another way to show noise performance and his linearity test gives info on low-level linearity (although even with the bandpass filter is still impacted by noise as discussed here -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/on-dac-linearity-measurement.3754/). Stereophile has been measuring for a long time so I personally appreciate their consistency, even if there are other ways to show the same information. Some information about the Stereophile test (from 1995!) can be found here -> https://www.stereophile.com/content/quality-lies-details-page-6.

The Stereophile -90 dBFS 16 bit test for the Topping DM7 seems to indicate noise performance quite a bit worse than expected based on the ASR reviews. In the ASR reviews the DM7 has better dynamic range (lower noise) than the Mola Mola Tambaqui but this is not reflected in the Stereophile tests. You can also see this in the -90 dBFS FFTs as the noise 24 bit noise level is lower for the Mola Mola than the Topping. Although I also think the scope shot of the -90 dBFS undithered sine will show out of band noise (which I believe may be change depending on the reconstruction filter used) in addition to audio band noise.

Michael

Last edited:

amrithd

Forum Donor

You’ve got the wrong person. Although I would like to contribute to this thread I can’t because I don’t have the knowledge :)

Top Bottom