• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

sebpoterie

2.2 stereo system / dirac LBC

I use an Aphex 124A to convert one balanced output of OKTO DAC PRO to an unbalanced output to connect it to my second subwoofer input (it does not have a balanced input, (SVS SB 3000))

My main speakers and the first sub are all wired balanced.

During Dirac levels calibrations, the level of the subwoofer connected to Aphex 124A is lower than the other 3 channels. I can not increase gain on the Aphex (gain control working only from unbalanced to balanced conversion).

I do not understand why +4 to -10 conversion is so low in level.

Aphex seems to be a dead company. I could not reach anybody.
Maybe someone here...;-)

Rkosak

Hi everybody!

Less than a month ago, I bought a second-hand DAC8 Stereo, the device is still under warranty. I like the sound, but there is one issue.

When playing DSD files, an error occurs randomly (in the middle of playback), which manifests itself in the way that the music suddenly turns into a highly distorted, significantly unpleasant, and loud noise. It happened only with DSD files, both in native mode and in DoP mode (native or DoP mode is set in the streamer, the streamer has no other settings regarding DSD).

I use the Aurender N100H streamer, which has decent USB output, and so far, the similar problem with DSD has not appeared on any of the following DACs: TEAC UD 501, TEAC UD503, Simaudio Moon 380D dsd, Denafrips Venus II, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE, Gato Audio DIA 400S (internal DAC).

What can cause the problem with DSD files and how can it be fixed?

The DAC, as far as I know, has the current firmware, v.1.2. Would "reloading" the firmware help? I don't know if the update procedure allows the same firmware to be flashed.

Any idea?
@Okto Research?

Last edited:

hampestampe

Hi everybody!

Less than a month ago, I bought a second-hand DAC8 Stereo, the device is still under warranty. I like the sound, but there is one issue.

When playing DSD files, an error occurs randomly (in the middle of playback), which manifests itself in the way that the music suddenly turns into a highly distorted, significantly unpleasant, and loud noise. It happened only with DSD files, both in native mode and in DoP mode (native or DoP mode is set in the streamer, the streamer has no other settings regarding DSD).

I use the Aurender N100H streamer, which has decent USB output, and so far, the similar problem with DSD has not appeared on any of the following DACs: TEAC UD 501, TEAC UD503, Simaudio Moon 380D dsd, Denafrips Venus II, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE, Gato Audio DIA 400S (internal DAC).

The DAC, as far as I know, has the current firmware, v.1.2. Would "reloading" the firmware help? I don't know if the update procedure allows the same firmware to be flashed.

Any idea?
@Okto Research?
That sounds like the dac suddenly fails to lock the data stream.
I've got a Auralic Aries G2 and the Okto Reaserch dac 8 Stereo, it's never happened with my
S gear. I've had the same issue in the past with my old setup, Auralic Aries streamer and Vega dac. I only had the issue within the first two minutes when I changed to the usb input from another input, before the clock of the usb input was totaly stabilized and the clock could make a proper lock.
So I think it's related to the dac clock can't perform proper lock on the signal from your Aurender.

Zooqu1ko

Hi everybody!

Any idea?
@Okto Research?
Does the display of the Okto still indicate that it is playing DSD, and at the correct rate?

Is the music you're playing still somewhat audible under all the noise, or does the DAC only play noise when that happens?

Rkosak

Does the display of the Okto still indicate that it is playing DSD, and at the correct rate?

Is the music you're playing still somewhat audible under all the noise, or does the DAC only play noise when that happens?
Havent noticed display, because I have set display to go off during playback, will try to wait for the issue with display ON. But it is not that easy to induce distorted DSD because it is totally random...
The music is not audible during issue, just noise, sometimes after few seconds music restores to normal playback.

Zooqu1ko

Havent noticed display, because I have set display to go off during playback, will try to wait for the issue with display ON. But it is not that easy to induce distorted DSD because it is totally random...
The music is not audible during issue, just noise, sometimes after few seconds music restores to normal playback.
Have you tried a different USB cable?

I'd recommend contacting Pavel, this might be an issue that he has heard of before.

Rkosak

Just for your info, reply from OKTO:

..."We are aware of this, in the past we have already received several reports of problems when playing DSD from Aurender streamers together with dac8. But playing DSD from a computer and streamers of other brands is without problems. We are going to release a new firmware before the end of the year and I believe that it will solve these problems, so please be patient."...

Last edited:

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a Wiim Pro that I use for Tidal Connect. It's really convenient. I'd like to connect it to an Okto DAC8 Pro either via toslink or coax to AES to route it to a PC or Mac via USB for DLBC processing, before D/A conversion. Is it a good approach or should I use the PC/Mac for streaming and forget the Wiim? What about Volumio on the Okto?

gvl

Major Contributor
I have a Wiim Pro that I use for Tidal Connect. It's really convenient. I'd like to connect it to an Okto DAC8 Pro either via toslink or coax to AES to route it to a PC or Mac via USB for DLBC processing, before D/A conversion. Is it a good approach or should I use the PC/Mac for streaming and forget the Wiim? What about Volumio on the Okto?

It’s a reasonable approach if you need Tidal Connect. Last time I checked Tidal PC app was not a Connect endpoint. Not sure if Volumio supports connect, even if it doesn’t you can control it from a mobile device which is a plus over the Pc app.

Feyire

After more than 3 years, I'm delighted to report that Okto Research has provided the opportunity for early DAC8 Stereo adopters such as myself, the ability to upgrade from the initial and buggy firmware version 1.0 to firmware version 1.2 with the use of a special hardware programming tool.

If there are any other early DAC8 Stereo owners here that are interested in updating the firmware of their unit, you can contact [email protected].

hampestampe

After more than 3 years, I'm delighted to report that Okto Research has provided the opportunity for early DAC8 Stereo adopters such as myself, the ability to upgrade from the initial and buggy firmware version 1.0 to firmware version 1.2 with the use of a special hardware programming tool.

If there are any other early DAC8 Stereo owners here that are interested in updating the firmware of their unit, you can contact [email protected].
Hi yes I will do the update in the near future.
Why would I need to contact Okto?
Is there any aditional info that I need more than what they provide via the link on the page?
I've not looked closer to it yet. Is it as easy as they say?

Feyire

Hi yes I will do the update in the near future.
Why would I need to contact Okto?
Is there any aditional info that I need more than what they provide via the link on the page?
I've not looked closer to it yet. Is it as easy as they say?
You only need to contact Okto for the special hardware programming tool, if both of the following situations are true for you:
  1. Your DAC8 stereo has firmware version 1.0
  2. You were unable to upgrade your DAC8 stereo to firmware version 1.2, using any of methods outlined in the Okto upgrade guide

Last edited:

hampestampe

Ok.
Then I guess I actualy have to contact them. I had mine for some years now, ordered it back in 2020 but got it delivered 2021, I'm sure I'm on firmware 1.0.
Thank you, I look it up and probably need theire help with the special tool then.

hampestampe

You only need to contact Okto for the special hardware programming tool, if both of the following situations are true for you:
  1. Your DAC8 stereo has firmware version 1.0
  2. You were unable to upgrade your DAC8 stereo to firmware version 1.2, using any of methods outlined in the Okto upgrade guide
I've just succeeded to perform the firmware update myself via the Mint/Linux guide since the firmware update did not work via Windows method. It was actualy from fw 1.11 to 1.2. For the first time since I got the dac, it can finaly recognize my DSD256-files and play them properly. I will spend the evening to rediscover my quad DSD music files provided via my Auralic Aries G2, streamer from my minimserver library on my Synology 1821+ NAS.
Thanks!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've just succeeded to perform the firmware update myself via the Mint/Linux guide since the firmware update did not work via Windows method.
About the only thing that works really well in Windoz is the "blue screen of death" LOL

Mike Rubin

About the only thing that works really well in Windoz is the "blue screen of death" LOL
Neither method worked for me, so that isn't exactly a great advertisement for Linux, either.

I await the hardware update tool, which Okto supposedly is passing from user to user.

hampestampe

Neither method worked for me, so that isn't exactly a great advertisement for Linux, either.

I await the hardware update tool, which Okto supposedly is passing from user to user.
From what firmware version are you updating?
What part is not working out for you?

*Did you succced to flash the usb with mint?
*Did you succeed to boot your computer with mint?
-Or did it fail in terminal mode, not finding your dac?

I had some problems typing the commands in terminal mode since the keys was not coresponding to the right symbols/letters but once i figured that out it worked.
Also the first time I typed the commands it failed because I did not chose the right usb input on the Okto dac, so it was not recognized when searching usb-ports for Okto product.
Also I had to use an old computer with more than one USB-A ports, since I had the USB-stick i booted from in one and hooked up the dac I was going to flash in the other one.
Well if you don't succeed I hope you get the flash tool from Okto soon.
I wish you luck!

TaxTime

I don't remember why/how etc. but I recall it took 3 or 4 times for me. The first few times it failed, I could see it getting hung up at a certain point for whatever reason, then it finally "took."

TaxTime

Found my old post about my experience (July 5, 2023)

As I posted elsewhere, the update failed with Windows 11. It looked like nothing was happening, but what was actually happening was the process was faulting out immediately so all I saw was a flash of some window. Suspecting it was so, I manually ran the update via Command Prompt and saw it was borking about half way through.

I emailed Pavel and he recommended the Linux Mint method. Note it's NOT that it would only work via Mint, but it's because that is what they used in their test environment, so that is the distro they recommend.

Not wanting to open up the Dac8 to insert an SD with a clean distro, I used Mint loaded as boot on a stick. Note that when doing so, you usually have to change the boot parameter in your bios, and it can take quite some time for it to actually boot to a screen (my W11 mini pc took about 4 or 5 minutes to finally boot to a screen).

I ran the update via Terminal, and it actually failed three times, but being stubborn, I tried it yet again, and it finally took. Pavel thinks Windows may have disrupted something to cause the update to fail with Linux (at least for a few times).

During failures, the process was not getting to the prompt about checking the display.

I assume you used Mint Cinnamon? For myself, I had no problem running Terminal once the OS was up and running, though I noticed almost everything about it ran slower on a USB stick.

Top Bottom