• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI to USB for Mutichannel DAC OKTO PRO

Music1969

Major Contributor
You can buy fanless PC for significantly much less money.

No need for conversion from HDMI to anything.

OP
L

Leon37

There is another more expensive way if the OP really wants to use the Okto, however if the improvement in DAC performance for the cost is worth it is really up to the OP.

You can get from 7.1 LPCM over HDMI to AES3 using

Then use the Okto DAC8 Pro via its AES inputs.
Yes, this solution is very efficient due to also the capability of the Arvus or the beautiful Audiopraise VanityPro HDMI to improve the clock (less jitter) but again price is outchhhh !

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Leon37 : If your OPPO is broken, why not getting another HDMI-capable AVR device?

chelgrian

@Leon37 : If your OPPO is broken, why not getting another HDMI-capable AVR device?
The simple answer is the OP doesn't want an AVR and wants higher performance from the DAC section than in available from any AVR or standalone processor.

The OPPO was practically unique in terms of disk players in having an HDMI in.

OP
L

Leon37

The simple answer is the OP doesn't want an AVR and wants higher performance from the DAC section than in available from any AVR or standalone processor.

The OPPO was practically unique in terms of disk players in having an HDMI in.
Fully correct !!

JayGilb

Major Contributor
What are the symptoms of failure on the OPPO ? Does it translate any of the audio channels ? Have you tried another HDMI input source or HDMI cable ?
Do any of the internal components appear to be running hot ? Have you tried cooling any of the components with chiller spray to see if affects operation ?

Just tossing out a few ideas on trouble shooting the OPPO.

OP
L

Leon37

No Power ON. I checked capacitor and the power supply (replaced by another one) but no improvement.
USA confirmed to contact Oppo EU !

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might consider finding an Oppo 203 or 205. The 205 measures as well as the OktoDAC, so use that instead.
THe cost is obscene, but might save you much frustration and configuration hell.

Since I already had a 103, I chose to prioritize for audio quality in the PC/Multichannel (JRiver) -> OktoDAC, and 'suffer' lower quality for streaming content thusly:
Streamer (hdmi) -> Oppo103(analog out) -> MotuUSB ADC (usb out) -> PC USB input => (JRiver)....

It works, but came with a good bit of 'twitchiness' in the setup/configuration, and still occasionally forgets who it is (JRiver, mostly).
But, I have weekly movie nights with friends, and aside from the occcasional cussing after a 'suprise' Win10 software upgrade and subsequent 'loss of USB recognition', it works extremely well, and they are simply astounded by the "Big Sound".

(Oh, and for movies, I split the HDMI out from the streamer using the Oppo, and send that wirelessly to a projector.)

> The 103/MotuADC combo robs me of a good bit of SN/Dynamic range, but frankly I don't miss it.
> I already had the 103, and the MotuUSB ADC was cheap....so the total cost was small, and this approach retains super high quality audio for PC based sources (ie, direct to OktoDAC from PC).

>The Oppo HDMI surround to analog conversion does NOT give you ATMOS decoding, so there's that tho.

Still, if I were starting from scratch, I'd be mightily tempted to just invest in an Oppo 205, or even a 203....esp if the OktoDAC is that expensive now.
Consider the 'time cost of money' - a potential big savings in effort and annoyance for you, since you already understand the Oppo user interface and abilities.
Or just accept defeat and invest in a 'lower quality' but affordable AVR..which might get you Atmos surround as well.

Best wishes!!

OP
L

Leon37

Thanks Neddy for your proposition.

I fully agree with you that OPPO 205 will be the Best choice and I would like to have it but:
- No product available
- Or price is crazy > 3500€ or $

So not really good solution for the moment.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It seems to me like the Flex HT would still be the most straightforward and cost-effective solution.
It should become available in the following weeks for 900€.

Bwmr

This subject of "converting" HDMI to USB has been discussed in many threads (including in the Okto DAC 8 Pro thread).
I am no technical expert, but I went through the same path (and own the Okto DAC 8 Pro), and hopefully this can save you some time.
My understanding is that "converting" HDMI to USB is complex and/or expensive. The main reason is that you are working against the entire industry because of HDCP (copy right protection).
You would have to either buy some expensive devices (such as the Arvus as suggested in this thread), or build a DIY solution (such as modding an AVR), or build a long chain of devices (which may include stages of ADC/DAC).
In finale, since you have to keep your HDMI cables, an AVR/AVP solution (or maybe buy another 2nd hand Oppo) is by far the simplest/cheapest/enough quality . Pick one of the highest SINAD AVR measured in this site (I think the Denons rank high), at over 100db SINAD, I understand it would be hard to hear a difference against the Okto (in terms of DAC performance). And you can have your AVR with DSP (and many other functions) built-in.

OP
L

Leon37

Thanks guys for your advice

yes you are right: i must find an OPPO 105 or better will be 205: conclusion I need to be patient :(:(:(

eeMGee

Thanks guys for your advice

yes you are right: i must find an OPPO 105 or better will be 205: conclusion I need to be patient :(:(:(
Next possible solution could be HDMI multichannel extractor to 4 x I2S and 4 x I2S to AES/EBU interface.
Than you can use direct connection via AES/EBU to the okto dac8 PRO.

HDMI multichannel to I2S extractor:
HDMI_I2Smulti.png

I2S to AES/EBU interface (4x)>

Or

I2S_AES.png

I2S_AES2.png

I know, it is more DIY but for EE should be not problem. ;)

I did not made such interface before, but generally should work.

Last edited:
OP
L

Leon37

Thanks a lot eeMGee !
Yes, no real difficulties but some time to put in the righ box with power supply.

That' s clear : it is less costly vs stand alone solution !

scottm_dj

The 205 is amazing & was so so far ahead of its time it's ridiculous--used state-of-the-art DACs from 6 years ago (Sabre 9038 Pro) that are still being used today. It does 90% of what a streamer does so in my search for a streamer for Qobuz I have to be careful not to duplicate.

HDMI IN is absolutely invaluable someone like me with an all analog system...and I've yet to see another company duplicate. Even the Magnetar UDP 900 doesn't offer it!

If you don't need the analog out, a 203 should suffice & they are much more sanely priced

Howeber...I just saw an eBay bid go for only about two grand for a 205 so they are finally coming down in price... Use HiFi Shark and keep an eye out!

OP
L

Leon37

Merci Scottm-dj !
Tout à fait d'accord avec toi : l'oppo 205 est aujourd'hui une tuerie : l'entrée HDMI est également obligatoire pour moi.
I will stay focus on Ebay to see price evolution.

Top Bottom