• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HDMI to USB for Mutichannel DAC OKTO PRO

Leon37

Dear All,

Until now I used an HDMI connection from my computer (foobar) to my Oppo 105D for 2 applications:

- Multichannel audio DAC: very good and simple

- HD video (video + LPCM 7.1 channel) using MPC-HC

Unfortunately my oppo 105d is broken. After several weeks of finding the root cause (I'm Electronic Eng), I decided to stop and find a new solution

My problem: the distance between my computer and my future DAC is not in the same room and I only have an existing HDMI cable available. Knowing that it is impossible to find an OPPO on the market, I decided to see the solution with OKTO 8 PRO for multi-channel audio DACs that only use the USB input! I ask OKTO if they can offer HDMI vs USB input, but no response received.

My question: to ensure the 2 applications, I would like to know if an HDMI to USB adapter exists to ensure the transfer of the 7.1 Audio channel into the appropriate USB audio format compatible for a DAC?

Your advice/help would be much appreciated if this product/adaptor exists

Thank you all for your support.

Curvature

Major Contributor
the distance between my computer and my future DAC is not in the same room and I only have an existing HDMI cable available.
Why is HDMI necessary? Is it installed in wall? An active USB cable would be much simpler and wouldnt introduce latency.

On the other hand, why buy an Okto at all when you could use a multichannel processor like a Monolith HTP-1? That would you allow you to use the HDMI cable and many other useful functions besides, like Dirac, upmixing, etc.

OP
L

Leon37

Thanks for your answer !

Yes HDMI is in the wall and cannot add an USB cable, unfortunately.
Monolith HTP is beautiful but not in my budget !

MCH

Major Contributor
Maybe you can transform your in wall HDMI connection into a USB connection using the necessary pins only with break out boards at each side? (Note I don't know if it is possible, others here might know)
Screenshot_2023-10-07-14-09-00-02_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

OP
L

Leon37

Thanks a lot: but the protocole and data format is not the same between HDMI and USB. So a PCB electrical interface cannot solve the topic.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I would like to know if an HDMI to USB adapter exists to ensure the transfer of the 7.1 Audio channel into the appropriate USB audio format compatible for a DAC?
It's technically possible, but definitely not easy.
There is no plug-and-play box with HDMI in and USB out. Instead, you'd have to use a PC or a Raspberry Pi that can act as USB host for the dac8, find a way to feed it the MCH audio via USB or PCIe, then set up the OS to route the incoming audio to the dac8.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks a lot: but the protocole and data format is not the same between HDMI and USB. So a PCB electrical interface cannot solve the topic.
What @MCH meant was to use the copper wires of your HDMI cable to build a USB cable in its place. Data formats and protocols wouldn't matter then.
The cable length might be an issue though, hence @Curvature's suggestion for an active cable.

Reactions: MCH

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe you can transform your in wall HDMI connection into a USB connection using the necessary pins only with break out boards at each side? (Note I don't know if it is possible, others here might know)
View attachment 317287

He needs the HDMI cable to also carry video...

- Multichannel audio DAC: very good and simple

- HD video (video + LPCM 7.1 channel) using MPC-HC

Basically you need a HDMI to USB Audio extractor - there are a few threads here looking for this, but I don't see such a product existing

I would recommend you build a new fanless PC and move it into the listening room.

Fanless PC = no fan noise, silent

Then you have lots of options for fantastic multichannel USB DAC

You don't need to do this trial and error which could have problems

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Leon37
Consider replacing your dac8 Pro with the miniDSP Flex HT.
Your setup could then look like this:
Blank diagram (13).png

or like this:
Blank diagram (12).png

As a bonus, you would get full DSP capabilities for room correction :D

Potential issues are:
-The Flex HT does not support Bitstream, so all surround sound formats (Dolby, DTS, etc.) would have to be decoded by your PC and sent to the TV as LPCM.
-The Flex HT only has RCA single-ended Line out.

OP
L

Leon37

Thanks all, really appreciate your support !
You right to use a PC fan less but I see here a too much complex work (HW/SW) just to transform HDMI in USB :eek:
I am afraid thta no easy solution exist and I do not want use a audio/video processor which have major part of the time a poor DAC performance !

I am very surprise that on all ZAPPITI and others Audio/video product do not propose HDMI input with Audio Analog 7.1 !:(

OP
L

Leon37

Thanks Static V3 for the solution.

Could be a solution with ratio complexity and price very interesting !
You cannot imagine how I am sad thta my OPPO 105D be broken: this machin was a crazy/beautiful multichannel DAC and video reader !
For DSP capabilities, I already put all in my PC with active crossover/convolution ( rephase/foobar/ convolution VST) !

Music1969

Major Contributor
You right to use a PC fan less but I see here a too much complex work (HW/SW) just to transform HDMI in USB :eek:
No, with a fanless PC you will obviously have both separate HDMI and USB ports..

That's why I suggested this - no extractor/converter required.

Extractors and converters can come with problems.

Best is to connect USB DAC to USB port and HDMI TV to HDMI port - of fanless PC.

Direct USB and HDMI connections to a fanless PC

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
I like keeping an eye on this site, always updates with new fanless PCs - fully pre-built

What are all the specs of your current machine ?

Motherboard model?

CPU model?

RAM?

SSD?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You cannot imagine how I am sad thta my OPPO 105D be broken: this machin was a crazy/beautiful multichannel DAC and video reader !
AFAIK, Oppo is still offering a reasonable-cost repair service. Have you tried to contact them?

OP
L

Leon37

Hello All,

My current PC config:
- CPU: INTEL I7
- SSD: 1 To
- 16Go RAM
- Graphic: GTX 1060 6Go

I already contacted Oppo France and they confirm no service anymore on OPPO105....
Another solution will be to use an HDMI converter to AES/EBU but the price is significant (1900€) + OKTO (1700€): not in my budget !

OP
L

Leon37

My current config
And trust me the result is crazy!
1696766492713.png

Attachments

• 1696766458161.png
    1696766458161.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 56

chelgrian

@Leon37
Consider replacing your dac8 Pro with the miniDSP Flex HT.
Your setup could then look like this:
View attachment 317291

or like this:
View attachment 317292

As a bonus, you would get full DSP capabilities for room correction :D

Potential issues are:
-The Flex HT does not support Bitstream, so all surround sound formats (Dolby, DTS, etc.) would have to be decoded by your PC and sent to the TV as LPCM.
-The Flex HT only has RCA single-ended Line out.
There is another more expensive way if the OP really wants to use the Okto, however if the improvement in DAC performance for the cost is worth it is really up to the OP.

You can get from 7.1 LPCM over HDMI to AES3 using

Then use the Okto DAC8 Pro via its AES inputs.

Top Bottom