• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have some pretty nice xlr cables right now. Probably way overengineered than necessary, Pangea Audio True Balanced xlr cables. I have heard there is some evidence that Star-Quad XLR cables reject interference better than other designs. Would upgrading to star quad xlr cables provide any benefits that are audible?

My setup does have many different types of cords and power adapters laying across each other. Thanks for any input!

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Starquad cables do have the best noise rejection, but if its audible is another issue. But since their prices are reasonable, they are worthy imo.

Thanks for the input! I thought the pangea true balanced were good but are star balanced better with noise rejection? I thought the pangea are different than standard cables.

Attachments

• pangea.jpg
    pangea.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 671

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have no idea how Pangea cables are constructed. Star quad does provide greater noise rejection (and higher capacitance) but the benefits are mainly in large venues and systems with long low-level (like microphone) cables trenched with speaker and power cables. In a home scenario I doubt there is any benefit unless you have a particularly (and excessively) noisy situation. If you don't hear noise, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are paranoid buy one cable of Canare or whatever and swap it to see if it matters. The trick is your brain will fool you into thinking it is better so you need to either measure it or have someone else swap a random cable without you knowing which one to see if you can tell.

I am betting not.

FWIWFM - Don

Edit: Checking the Pangea website, it looks like they are standard XLRs but with an extra layer of shielding. So probably no benefit in changing to star quad in your situation.

DanGuitarMan

I think there's a greater return on your investment if you know how to solder and put together a cable. One can build a cable with Canare StarQuad and Neutrik connectors for less money than an off the shelf standard XLR cable. Of course this varies with someone's experience and hands on DIY skills.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I've handled some Pangea cables in the past. The main benefit to using cables by manufacturers like Belden, Canare and Mogami is that they do testing for pull strength and ruggedness as well as flexibility (as well as correct termination). Though more important in a pro setting, the awkward, stiff, heavy cables of boutique manufacturers make them much more difficult to install or switch between home systems.

misterdog

I have some 20M of Van Damme starquad microphone cable here for interconnect use with Neutric silver connectors. Plenty of pro audio shops will make the cables for little more than component price.

https://www.designacable.com/dj-rca...tar-quad-balanced-male-xlr-to-female-xlr.html

Ha ha - snap.

Between my DAC and Bruno Putzeys pre I use an XLR cable made from a cheap HDMI cable, I made it because each twisted pair is individually foil shielded. Sounds no different from Van Damme starquad with M400.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea how Pangea cables are constructed. Star quad does provide greater noise rejection (and higher capacitance) but the benefits are mainly in large venues and systems with long low-level (like microphone) cables trenched with speaker and power cables. In a home scenario I doubt there is any benefit unless you have a particularly (and excessively) noisy situation. If you don't hear noise, I wouldn't worry about it. [..]
This. Never change a running system.:cool:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
That Benchmark video is sort of like watching a water dowser work, when they already know the answer.

Pros seldom use StarQuad except on stages near theatrical lights and smoke machines.

that cable pictured in post #3 is strange looking stuff.

To repeat myself:
For balanced XLR interconnects, stick with a Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) with a braided shield.

Tks

Major Contributor
If actual performance is of concern, a relatively new company (which I got same day response on Amazon, when I asked for a new SKU to be made, to which they actually complied and in two weeks I saw the new SKU), is Audioblast.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VLFR...olid=1HHC96NVYXNV3&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Video of their own demonstrating how they beat industry leaders

A recent video I didn't watch of a third party testing a bunch of cables

The price is unbeatable tbh..

If you go XLR, might as well go Starquad and quell all psychological bias and OCD.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I have bought soooo much pangea true balanced cable O_O. I guess I could sell it on ebay or something. I really like pangea's power cables and usb cables.

That price is ridiculous low!

misterdog

Van Damme Starquad costs £ 8.50 while their standard 2 core balanced cable costs £ 6.80 For a 5M length.

https://www.designacable.com/components/cable/van-damme-xke-starquad-microphone-cable.html

The Starquad is tricky to work with though for DIY when stripping the delicate signal cores, as said earlier let them build the cables they even use 3% silver solder.

WRT. USB cables a German company called Hama make a double shielded USB certified cable, I've just ordered a 50cm one for £ 5.75....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Senior NEET Engineer

Seems like no brainer for home use. I'm running 25 feet star quad XLR and power cables to my surrounds and sub. Cost difference was only $5 per cable.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like star quad because they don't work with the crimp terminal XLR ends I prefer. You can't fit two barrels of insulation in the open barrel crimp terminal.

For soldered XLR terminals, they're fine.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Van Damme Starquad costs £ 8.50 while their standard 2 core balanced cable costs £ 6.80 For a 5M length.

https://www.designacable.com/components/cable/van-damme-xke-starquad-microphone-cable.html

The Starquad is tricky to work with though for DIY when stripping the delicate signal cores, as said earlier let them build the cables they even use 3% silver solder.
I recently ordered a short pair of TRS-XLR Van Damme star quad cables from Design a Cable. Let's see how it goes when it arrives.
https://www.designacable.com/live-s...ced-lead-neutrik-gold-female-xlr-to-jack.html

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Point being?

My surprise at needing to zoom out 11 levels on the map before I saw a name that permitted me to even roughly geolocate their business address.

First, I thought France.

Not until the 6th level of zooming out did I discover they are located on a rather small island, with which I was not familiar.

Hmm... Mediterranean? Caribbean? French Polynesian?

The 9th level of zoom revealed another island, also with a French flavor to the name, but my ignorance remained exposed.

The 10th level of zoom revealed a larger neighboring land mass to the west, with five unfamiliar town names: Sambava, Andapa, Antalaha, Sonierana-Ivongo, and Toamasina.

I couldn't stop. I'd come so far.

At the 11th level of zooming out, finally something I recognized (if only vaguely).

Madagascar.

My conclusion: "They aren't local". Decorate that as you see fit.

Maybe not to anyone here. Or maybe they are, who knows.

Top Bottom