• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost Tyr 2 Review (USB Cable)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 494 96.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.0%

• Total voters

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I couldn't agree more. getting the word out to counter the nonsense that some hifi manufacturers claim is important. the problem is that there is so much sarcasm in many of these comments (not yours) directed at audiophiles that the impression given is not positive at all. We all love music and are trying to find the best way to listen to it within our means.

I also think that the lack of double blind tests is a weakness because they do add a strong argument in favour of the conclusion.
Agreed, but unfortunately convincing subjectivist audiophiles is like fightig against imaginary wind mills Don Quixote style. The come up with every conceivable (pseudo) argument playing the down the relevance of measurements and blind tests and in the end its just their subjective feeling and impression that matters. There can not be made no argument against it and this way they keep buying tube amps and ridiculously expensive cables and power cleaners, will burn in and stick to R2R dacs etc. I am not optimistic that this will change any time soon.

But definitely, who really wants to know can take a lot from the measurements of ASR and will be educated and more imune against obscure claims.

Mihalis

Forum Donor
Agreed, but unfortunately convincing subjectivist audiophiles is like fightig against imaginary wind mills Don Quixote style. The come up with every conceivable (pseudo) argument playing the down the relevance of measurements and blind tests and in the end its just their subjective feeling and impression that matters. There can not be made no argument against it and this way they keep buying tube amps and ridiculously expensive cables and power cleaners, will burn in and stick to R2R dacs etc. I am not optimistic that this will change any time soon.

But definitely, who really wants to know can take a lot from the measurements of ASR and will be educated and more imune against obscure claims.
They aren't imaginary windmills. it is a well (snake) oiled industry where manufacturers, dealers and reviewers are in cahoots taking advantage of powerful psychoacoustic games that our minds play. I have been an audiophile since 5 years old and I can assure you people do truly believe this stuff. and if you have sunk large amounts on speakers and amps why not resign to the safety of expensive cables.

I am right now listening to a six figure pair of speakers that is driven by a six figure pair of amps connected via a two figure pair of (short) speaker cables. Took me about a week to stop stressing about it!

The proceeds from the sale of the expensive cables that were replaced are going to the engineering department of my kid's school.

welsh

It's far worse than the claims made by the cosmetics industry, and I would never imagine my wife would buy a mascara for $200 bucks, that gives "500% more sexiness".
You forgot the universal cosmetic advertisement escape hatch. It should be UP TO 500% more sexiness.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You forgot the universal cosmetic advertisement escape hatch. It should be UP TO 500% more sexiness.

How about the hair regrowth market, both male and female. LOL

SKBubba

Lately I've been evaluating audio stuff using a "Tidal Month" metric.

In this instance, the cost of this cable would pay for almost 12 years worth of Tidal Months.

Even if this cable is magic and actually did something, 12 years of Tidal provides much better value to me.

IIIRIC

@amirm I am looking for a usb c to usb c cable for my audio setup. Have you tried the amazon basics usb c? I'm trying to figure out if it is up to spec.

IIIRIC

IIIRIC

Also have a look at Anker's cables. Their stuff tends to be good but reasonably priced.
I just picked up an Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable (0.8m) at opened-box pricing (about $25). I'm still assessing how it sounds in my setup.

Omar Cumming

I just picked up an Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable (0.8m) at opened-box pricing (about $25). I'm still assessing how it sounds in my setup.

If you're "assessing how it sounds in my setup" you have missed the whole point of this review and this 20 page thread.

Cheers

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm I am looking for a usb c to usb c cable for my audio setup. Have you tried the amazon basics usb c? I'm trying to figure out if it is up to spec.
I have not. I tried their micro-USB and it was horrible (as far as material not performance). Shame they didn't use the same design/manufacturer for both. I will look into getting the USB-C one.

Kremmen

As my dear departed grandmother used to say: "A fool and his money are soon parted!"

As long as there are enough fools out there to buy ridiculously overpriced products like this that fail to deliver on their creator's claims, we'll never be rid of them. Amen.

Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think some people want to believe in something, no matter how hard or easy it is.
Some people in this thread basically expressed that only idiots would buy this but I know a handful of successful guys who are way more educated and sophisticated than me, they got good rationality in business sense and 'daily life common sense' YET they go fully wild with audio accessories and components. One of them is even an ex-electrical engineer of Toshiba, I refuse to think that that guy is somehow not aware of how cables and electricity work.

Top Bottom