• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice Review of the Revel 328Be Speaker (Not mine)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
While mostly a subjective review, there is some good information here.

https://hometheaterreview.com/revel-f328be-floorstanding-speaker-review/

Some bits that got my attention ...

Harman's Jim Garrett aptly notes the ports are reminiscent of dual exhaust of a muscle car. The drivers themselves are also different than the eight-inch woofers in the F228Bes. The "B curve," the curve that shows the force factor related to the driver's movement in both directions, is more symmetrically balanced with the F328Be's woofer than the F228Be's.

The provided Bl curve (link) looks quite good for the new drive unit (black line). The graphic is cut off in the x-axis so I cannot tell what the linear excursion is but, using the 10% THD rule they are beyond 6mm one-way (probably at 7mm) and much beyond that using the 20% THD (subwoofer) method.

While the addition of a third woofer is the most visible difference, the F328Be's new tweeter is the bigger story, and most will probably find it to make a bigger difference. It's a one-inch Beryllium dome tweeter with large ceramic magnets like the rest of the PerformaBe lineup, but the similarity ends there. The tweeter in the F328Be is an all-new design found only in the F328Be at this time. When I asked the Revel engineers about the new tweeter, I was provided with far too much information to include here, but I'll do my best to summarize it. I was told about an acoustically damped, vented pole piece that lowers mechanical resonance frequency and increases bandwidth, and an inductance modulation ring that reduces distortion as compared to the prior Beryllium tweeter.

Most importantly, however, I am hoping my pair for review will arrive soon. I can't wait to test and review these speakers.

Alpine M

Erin,

My ‘personal review’ samples are in house ... well, they’re in the garage so far. They are huge!

0825D255-04B3-4AA1-B0A8-41495DF30556.jpeg5F00356B-E2C3-410C-99AC-E868C0955A93.jpeg

Jim

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The price is pretty reasonable.

$16,000/pair isn't bad on a per pound / per kilo basis.

$16,000 / (112.6x 2) = $16,000 / 225.2 lbs = $71/lb = $32 / kilo

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Alpine M

Is that the normal packaging or just for review samples that get shipped around a lot?

This is retail packaging. Fantastic protection for transit and gives quite a nice feel to the delivery. When I said 'personal review', it was a bit of a joke, as these aren't review samples ... I'm just a speaker nut so I tend to go through a lot of speakers :)

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is retail packaging. Fantastic protection for transit and gives quite a nice feel to the delivery. When I said 'personal review', it was a bit of a joke, as these aren't review samples ... I'm just a speaker nut so I tend to go through a lot of speakers :)
Very nice! more unboxing and setup pics please. Also , what made you choose these over the Salon 2's?

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is retail packaging. Fantastic protection for transit and gives quite a nice feel to the delivery. When I said 'personal review', it was a bit of a joke, as these aren't review samples ... I'm just a speaker nut so I tend to go through a lot of speakers

You have very good taste in speakers and also in cars from what I can see behind them :cool:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have very good taste in speakers and also in cars from what I can see behind them :cool:
Yeah, the car looks nice for an old fashioned gasoline powered car.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice! I also will be keen to hear your observations, especially if you also have experience with the F228Be. I wonder how much difference one would be able to perceive and enjoy in a typical mid sized family room setting(I do not have a dedicated audio or A/V room). This is becoming quite important, as nice used sets of F228Be are starting to show up at ~$7k now.

Edit: And I should also note that used sets of Magico A3 mentioned in the review are starting to show up at ~$8k.

Last edited:

Fjc20

Any review? I’m looking to pull trigger on revel f228be or f328be but wondering if it’s worth the extra cash.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any review? I’m looking to pull trigger on revel f228be or f328be but wondering if it’s worth the extra cash.
Amir has the 328Be in and already measured, he just has to do his listening test (lug that monster upstairs).
Spinoramas are already available online elsewhere.

I'll say this; compared to the much cheaper Performa3 models, the Be models seem to mainly improve in distortion and power handling, the actual FR data is not much different (as the Performa3 towers already are great).

Fjc20

Amir has the 328Be in and already measured, he just has to do his listening test (lug that monster upstairs).
Spinoramas are already available online elsewhere.

I'll say this; compared to the much cheaper Performa3 models, the Be models seem to mainly improve in distortion and power handling, the actual FR data is not much different (as the Performa3 towers already are great).
Where can I find those? And I’m hoping it comes soon very curious. Do you feel that the difference in price btw the 228 and 328 are worth the difference? I went to auditioned them today. They both sounded good. I felt they lacked bass a little. The vocals on the 328be and a little more meat to them. They both sounded somewhat lifeless tho? I’m coming from HDI1600. Maybe I just need to spend more time with them.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where can I find those? And I’m hoping it comes soon very curious. Do you feel that the difference in price btw the 228 and 328 are worth the difference? I went to auditioned them today. They both sounded good. I felt they lacked bass a little. The vocals on the 328be and a little more meat to them. They both sounded somewhat lifeless tho? I’m coming from HDI1600. Maybe I just need to spend more time with them.
https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/?m=1

Keep in mind Harman just recalibrated their setup, as the bass in their Spins were actually overstated, which you can see by comparing to when Amir or others measure the speakers (and the bass in Amir’s 328 is nothing like the Harman Spin). So, I’d ignore the Spins below 100Hz.

Valentin R

https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/?m=1

Keep in mind Harman just recalibrated their setup, as the bass in their Spins were actually overstated, which you can see by comparing to when Amir or others measure the speakers (and the bass in Amir’s 328 is nothing like the Harman Spin). So, I’d ignore the Spins below 100Hz.

strage
HARMAN also has a klippel NTS measuring system
for a while the F228be M126Be spins are from such system also Mágicos A3 and Paradigm Persona3

hope to see Amir’s measurements in the bass region

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
strage
HARMAN also has a klippel NTS measuring system
for a while the F228be M126Be spins are from such system also Mágicos A3 and Paradigm Persona3
Harman has one but seeing Klippel on a graph doesn't mean it is using the NFS. Klippel's base measurement system is used in anechoic chambers to make measurements. The near-field scanner is an option that is on top of that.

Valentin R

Harman has one but seeing Klippel on a graph doesn't mean it is using the NFS. Klippel's base measurement system is used in anechoic chambers to make measurements. The near-field scanner is an option that is on top of that.
Ok
So you Are saying that HARMAN doesn’t have a NFS option on the klippel measuring system

I thought they did

hope to see your measurements for the F328Be

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok
So you Are saying that HARMAN doesn’t have a NFS option on the klippel measuring system
No. I said that they do have an NFS system. But that every graph that you see with Klippel on it, does NOT indicate that option was used.

Top Bottom