• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New set of graphs for all speakers reviews

vavan

Not sure what kind of description of the room is required and my speakers named in my sig

QMuse

Major Contributor

You don't measure response from 1kHz up with MMM from LP. You should make gated sweep measurement from 1m distance with mic at on axis with tweeter for left and right speaker. Based on that measurement you EQ to flat response.

OP
P

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks to SDX-LV@ I have a few more spinoramas.

Kef R3 ASR v.s. KEF R3 from manual. Concordance is pretty good.

visualization (1).png

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
Thanks to SDX-LV@ I have a few more spinoramas.

2 different measurements from Harmann for a Salon2: pref scores change from 6.5 to 6.8. I would not give too much credit to small differences between pref scores. +/-1 is not very significant.

visualization (4).png

QMuse

Major Contributor
Nice job, thank you!

Btw, no offense to Harman but of these 3 speakers Kef R3's graphs definitely look the best to me. :D

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we know what are the test conditions? Done outdoor?
Measuring a speaker this large and heavy was difficult to say the least. Jeff and I hoisted the speaker on top of a 6-foot section of rigging. On top of that rigging, we placed a slip mat, and then I used a digital compass to measure the change in angle. The microphone was placed at the appropriate height using a specially designed microphone stand. Measurement equipment included a MicW (BSWA) M215 with calibrated capsule, a 1khz Calibrator, a Motu 828x, and Room EQ Wizard. Graphs were generated using VITUIX CAD.

It‘s Mathew Poes, I’m sure he was very careful and thorough.

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
It took me some times but I always wanted to understand how contour plots are computed. I had to learn and implement a few algorithms. I could have take the easy way and use some libraries but it was a better experience like this.

Here are 2 previews, i took the same colors as 3D3A and the same scale to make it easy to compare them.

visualization.png

visualization (1).png

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It took me some times but I always wanted to understand how contour plots are computed. I had to learn and implement a few algorithms. I could have take the easy way and use some libraries but it was a better experience like this.

Here are 2 previews, i took the same colors as 3D3A and the same scale to make it easy to compare them.

I think these look good. Personally, I prefer to have the scale in 3dB increments as opposed to 5dB as you've used. But that's not a criticism. Just a mention.

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
I think these look good. Personally, I prefer to have the scale in 3dB increments as opposed to 5dB as you've used. But that's not a criticism. Just a mention.
They are 3db bands but the scale on the right is incorrect I need to fix that.

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
Are these from ASR data? I haven't tried to generate heatmaps or control plots from @amirm's data yet because I suspect the insufficient 10° angular resolution will make the plot look fuzzy/blurry.

yes the first one is the genelec and the second one the ocean recently reviewed.

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
News:
-------

- The website support multiple measurements per speakers
- EQ (IIR) are now supported and flipflop is building one for all speakers measured at ASR. He has found a very good strategy.

EQ teaser:
------------
Orange are ASR scores
EQ are new score with a simple EQ: Some speakers are reacting very well to EQing.

visualization (3).png

OP
P

pierre

Forum Donor
Website has been updated.

What's new?

4 views per speaker
1. Mobile view :
all measurements 1 by 1 in a vertical view, if you click in one of them you get an interactive graph (that you can play with, print ...)
2. 1 Pager : all measurement in 1 page, that's a synthetic view that is optimised for printing
3. With EQ: same as 1 with an EQ designed by flipflop@
4. Ref. v.s. EQ. : side by side vertical view, which shows reference view from klippel and the effect of the EQ

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 14.23.16.png

Estimated-in-room and on-axis view show an error band of 1.5dB and 3.0dB

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 14.27.42.png

New graphs: isoplots
Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 14.28.37.png

Scores page
Now we can see multiple measurement per speakers and the effect of an EQ on the score; on the snapshot below we have the 2 measurements from Neumann KH 80. You can see that the score goes from 6.2 to 6.7 with this EQ.

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 14.30.08.png

Measurements from ErinsAudioCorner are also supported:
Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 14.31.57.png

The Compare view also support EQ:
Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 14.45.52.png

In all this views, if you click in the legend on for example On Axis it will highlight this curve and dimmed the others:
Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 14.48.00.png

Btw this speaker Verdant Bambusa AL1 react very well to EQ, score jump from 4.9 to 7.0. Post EQ it is as good as other best-in-class speaker.

Statistics view:
Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 14.49.54.png

Each Orange point is the score for one speaker (on the website, if you over the point you see which speaker it is). Each blue point gives the score for the same speaker. EQing push a lot of speaker to close to 7: the score difference with the best speakers is then not statistically significant.

Top Bottom