• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

astcal

Forum Donor
Thank you for your answers,
So, the sub, switch and cables are not faulty because they were tested in the store via the software on windows.
However on my mac it doesn't work, even though I have tested every osx settings : firewall, security, antivirus, no wifi, etc...
So far no success but I am relieved my sub is not faulty.
By the way, it's been my 4th full day trying to make it work. No answer from Neumann support, nor by mail or chat.

I second tifune's reply above -- try either connect both your iMac and KH 750 on the same ROUTER or connect the switch to the router as input, then output connect to iMac and KH750

elvis

I second tifune's reply above -- try either connect both your iMac and KH 750 on the same ROUTER or connect the switch to the router as input, then output connect to iMac and KH750
Last day, I tested on another mac (2013 macbook on High Sierra) and it works !
So, there is something to do with my imac (2017 on Catalina). I don't know what it is because everything seams the same : no wifi, no firewall, no antivirus, except osx is different.
The other difference is in the MA-1 software : On the macbook, the network connection takes a few seconds. On my mac, the rescan button clicks and release right away.
I hope Neumann did test the software on Catalina.

astcal

Forum Donor
Last day, I tested on another mac (2013 macbook on High Sierra) and it works !
So, there is something to do with my imac (2017 on Catalina). I don't know what it is because everything seams the same : no wifi, no firewall, no antivirus, except osx is different.
The other difference is in the MA-1 software : On the macbook, the network connection takes a few seconds. On my mac, the rescan button clicks and release right away.
I hope Neumann did test the software on Catalina.

good to hear it finally worked!

Neumann definitely should get the MA-1 software work better, it is too flimsy.

jahbo

I just got a 2nd KH750DSP to complete my 2.2 system with KH310´s. And i also updated to the 1.5 software.

I found it slightly confusion regarding the analog cable connections and split cables. First i connected one 310 to each sub. but it seems that one still need to connect both speakers to one sub during calibration (maybe thats obvious, but it was not that clear in the manual).

When i got the connections working the calibration ran flawless and i got to the final page where its possible to afjust the eq and re-calibrate.
After doing so i finalized and saved the calibration.
But when i was then returned to the front page in the MA1 software, where one can choose between the different setup and calibration as well as disable "bass managment" - it was like the sub volume increased to the double that it was during the calibration adjustment screen ??

I went back to edit it again and lowered the bass region about 2dB and saved a new calibration file.
It now sounds a bit more balanced.

But its weird that the end result is different than the one listened in the eq/edit window?

did anyone experience this? or have an idea if i did something wrong? or is it a 1.5 software bug?

artishard116

I just got a 2nd KH750DSP to complete my 2.2 system with KH310´s. And i also updated to the 1.5 software.

I found it slightly confusion regarding the analog cable connections and split cables. First i connected one 310 to each sub. but it seems that one still need to connect both speakers to one sub during calibration (maybe thats obvious, but it was not that clear in the manual).

When i got the connections working the calibration ran flawless and i got to the final page where its possible to afjust the eq and re-calibrate.
After doing so i finalized and saved the calibration.
But when i was then returned to the front page in the MA1 software, where one can choose between the different setup and calibration as well as disable "bass managment" - it was like the sub volume increased to the double that it was during the calibration adjustment screen ??

I went back to edit it again and lowered the bass region about 2dB and saved a new calibration file.
It now sounds a bit more balanced.

But its weird that the end result is different than the one listened in the eq/edit window?

did anyone experience this? or have an idea if i did something wrong? or is it a 1.5 software bug?
Same setup here. You shouldn't need to connect both speakers to one sub at any point. You need to send R+L channel information from your interface to both subs. If you only have two outs on your interface, you can y-split them into two right and two left channels. Then connect only one channel from each sub to each 310. This is my understanding anyway and has worked for multiple alignments. Never experienced the difference you mention either.

jahbo

Same setup here. You shouldn't need to connect both speakers to one sub at any point. You need to send R+L channel information from your interface to both subs. If you only have two outs on your interface, you can y-split them into two right and two left channels. Then connect only one channel from each sub to each 310. This is my understanding anyway and has worked for multiple alignments. Never experienced the difference you mention either.
well that was also my impression. but when i connected it as described by you also, during calibration there was no signal output from the right top speaker.
But i guess i will try to go back and do it again.

about the bass level difference that is weird indeed..

Did you also use the 1.5 software? mac or pc ?

artishard116

well that was also my impression. but when i connected it as described by you also, during calibration there was no signal output from the right top speaker.
But i guess i will try to go back and do it again.

about the bass level difference that is weird indeed..

Did you also use the 1.5 software? mac or pc ?
I haven't tried 1.5 yet, guess it could be a bug. I'm on a mac.

jj-wohlgemuth

If you use Input Mode Automatic you can connect the second sub via BNC and use XLR for the rest of the setup. You can also connect both subs via BNC and only the sats via XLR. It doesn't matter which sub which sat is connected to as long as both subs get the identical signal on both (L&R) inputs.

klangfilm

When I look at the doc (see attached), it seems that for measurements you should connect the 2 kh310 to the same kh750 (and l+r from interface audio outputs to both kh750)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-170318_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-170318_OneDrive.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 94

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I re-measured my system (2x KH750 digitally connected to a RME UCX II, 2x KH310) with version 1.5 (Windows 10). Measurements and alignment seem to work, but now the System Volume control has no effect anymore and the speakers are way too loud :-/ (@jj-wohlgemuth)

For illustration, there is no difference between those:
1662280577326.png

1662280605809.png

Also no effect, when i choose a different volume in the alignment-window. It seems always to be fixed at 100dB.

This worked for me in all previous versions. I installed version 1.5 over an existing installation of 1.4.

audafreak

@DjBonoBobo Thank you for this message. I was prepared to recalibrate with v 1.5 today afternoon. Thank you that you saved my time. I definitely need this gain setting working.

Neumann makes very good HW. Really good. But their software capabilities are terrible. Alignement engine is good but user frontend is terrible although it is very simple comparing other sw from other companies.

I also found some other problem on their web site yesterday. If you are already registered as user, you try to login to your account in upper right icon for login - but you cannot - this is probably only for theit business partners and you login does not work.
As a user you can log in only via download page, register to download, on the bottom "Already registered? Login to download" link. No other way.

Neumann, have you ever tested you sw? Every change brings another problems. It looks like you outsourced sw development to students somewhere in Zimbabwe.

audafreak

And I have to repeat again old bug in KH80 firmware, where autostandby works correctly when level is set to 100dB but doesnot work correctly when level is set <100dB. That is probably why it works for somebody and not for somebody else. Bad computation when to switch power off.
KH750 works always correctly.
This bug is known already for years but still not corrected although many users complained here and also to Neumann support.

okoutsider

Hey guys could you please help me!
I'm trying to set up my 750 + a pair of 120 with Monitor Alignment app. I select " Stereo with bus management" (my sub also is set to stereo).
The issue is I have only 2 options in the drop down tab: "sub left" and "sub right". Is it ok? Do I just need to select "sub right" or whatever? Or what do I do wrong?
monit alig.PNG

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue is I have only 2 options in the drop down tab: "sub left" and "sub right". Is it ok? Do I just need to select "sub right" or whatever? Or what do I do wrong?
AFAIK there is no difference, you can just select left or right.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I re-measured my system (2x KH750 digitally connected to a RME UCX II, 2x KH310) with version 1.5 (Windows 10). Measurements and alignment seem to work, but now the System Volume control has no effect anymore and the speakers are way too loud :-/ (@jj-wohlgemuth)

For illustration, there is no difference between those:
View attachment 228599
View attachment 228600

Also no effect, when i choose a different volume in the alignment-window. It seems always to be fixed at 100dB.

This worked for me in all previous versions. I installed version 1.5 over an existing installation of 1.4.

Version 1.5.1 released today. Fixed the volume bug for me.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Neumann needs to get some guys from here and Gearspace on board as beta testers.

audafreak

Neumann anounced yesterday they are working on multichanel version of MA1. Maybe even this year. Great, maybe I will forget all the problems until now. ;)

audafreak

I run v 1.5.1 yesterday and yes, bass response seems to be really better. Also interface changed a bit to better. There were no problems.

But once I created new alignment, previous ones from v 1.4 was automatically deleted, no message about it.
Is it because it was incompatible from v 1.4 or there is possible only one basic alignement and some its modifications?
I would need several basic alignement for different places under different names. Is this possible or next full run with the same version previous stored alignemets will be deleted again?

onununo

Hi everyone. I have ordered a pair of KH750 + an MA1 to improve the already impressive bass quality of my pair of KH310 for hi-fi stereo listening, given that my living room is 47 m2 and I don't like to see their woofer working too hard. I am however uncertain of having actually made the right choice, considering that these subs appear to have lower SPL / higher distortion compared to the plain 310s in the frequency spectrum that they are called to reproduce (except of course for the part < 34 Hz, but there the SPL / distorsion is even worse).
However, please can somebody clarify an important thing to me: I obviously want each pair of sub + 310 to play a different stereo channel, but can I get correct autocalibration of such a setup using the software and MA1? Because if I understand correctly, in order to calibrate the system, both L and R channels must be fed to both the subs with Y cables.... so, aren't we calibrating the subs in mono, and only the satellites in stereo? What the heck of a calibration is ever this? Anyone with some experience may kindly confirm if I am correct?

Last edited:
Top Bottom