• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New ASR logo proposal

Chester

I fear this is going to become an infinite process for poor @Chagall, someone will always dislike something.

How best to make a forward step I wonder.

Golf

I think "REVIEW" just looks closer to the knob because the knob is shown at an angle (emulating 3D)?

(or am I wrong? - is the knob represented as a white cylinder with a black circle trimming the front?)

Chagall’s original (left) has the REVIEW seemingly a bit too far off the centre. In my version (right) I tried to demonstrate how it might look instead:

1707848543286.png

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
I think "REVIEW" just looks closer to the knob because the knob is shown at an angle (emulating 3D)?

(or am I wrong? - is the knob represented as a white cylinder with a black circle trimming the front?)

Seems fine to me, on the left that's just the highlight on the knob.

1707849547971.png

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
Like the upper right one.

Still like those featuring an up hill roll like Prometheus as that seems what this forum is about.

The guy was Sisyphus, not to be confused with Syphilis :) The story of Prometheus fits better (he brought the fire). Sisyphus was punished to an eternity of useless effort and unending frustration (rolling the boulder up a hill). Don't know how Amir feels :)

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
It’s fine in combination with that blue arc. It’s not without it.

REVIEW doesn't change position if we just see the highlight and not the whole circle (blue line). So it is fine.

Seems, I lost the track somewhere ... Why is this unbalanced representation of the three naming terms?

View attachment 349420

I don't think it's unbalanced. Why do you think it is?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The guy was Sisyphus, not to be confused with Syphilis :) The story of Prometheus fits better (he brought the fire). Sisyphus was punished to an eternity of useless effort and unending frustration (rolling the boulder up a hill). Don't know how Amir feels :)
You are correct. My teachers would be unhappy with me mixing them up. I remembered they were tormented for their deeds, just had the two mixed up.

Golf

Plus two biggies show up better on small phone screens.

That’s true – but to me, REVIEW looks underrepresented and underrated here. While the website has it with prominent importance:

1707855818740.png

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
@Chagall The bottom left one looks great! Lovely visual balance, and the dots connect the text nicely. Possibly could do with a little more work on the precise splines of the curves? Jony Ive is famous for obsessing over curves. They look quite parabolic right now, maybe go for something a little more catenary to fill the space in the middle subtly more? Or a tiny overlap at the edge instead of the tiny gap?

Working back from that as the primary design to inform the alternates should give a very good result. The single letters in the "mobile" versions don't add much - personally I'd drop them and the dots for anything other than the primary logo.

Whatever I do with them overlapping, it just looks like a Chrome icon...

V6.png

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
That’s true – but to me, REVIEW looks underrepresented and underrated here. While the website has it with prominent importance:

View attachment 349425

An attempt to break the monotony...

1707858086438.png

... of having a word per row with a diffrent text style.

1707857812284.png

Here it's broken with color.

1707857790352.png

Think both are fine, and doesn't atomatically mean reviews are not important.

Golf

The only example where a small version of REVIEW could be fully justified, because it not only looks nice but also fits in the given graphical structure, was this one:

1707859301216.png

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I like these ones, but definitely agree with @Golf that "Review" should be at least equal in size to "Audio" and "Science".

The reviews are the most valuable content hosted here and the website's USP.

If anything, "Science" could be a slightly smaller font (perhaps to make its width the same as "Audio").

syzygy

Chagall’s original (left) has the REVIEW seemingly a bit too far off the centre. In my version (right) I tried to demonstrate how it might look instead:

View attachment 349411
Oh, I see now - it's a highlight from the upper left - I thought maybe the knob was shown at a very slight oblique angle

JSmith

Master Contributor
Whatever I do with them overlapping, it just looks like a Chrome icon...
Surprisingly I don't mind this one and isn't making me think of Chrome actually;

1707871295119.png

Could be viewed as "bringing together" in a way... but probably still prefer ol' Cecil the sheep. :)

JSmith

Top Bottom