• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Real, Audiophile-Grade, Solution for Hearing Loss on All Devices

Does your hearing ability affect your listening experience?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jjaskuna

Forum Donor
March 9, 2024 Edit:
I want to update this post to clarify my intent:
  1. Share an audio experience with fellow enthusiasts that has improved my daily quality of life for a long time now. I think others may likewise benefit and I hope to share that joy with others.
  2. Learn what the others think of the problem at hand, one proposed solution, the listening experience with the solution, or if its even desired.
  3. Discuss the technical aspects, psychoacoustics, and theory required for this tech or similar audio tech to work. I can't think of a better forum than ASR for this. I love these conversations and hope you do too.
----------------------
This invention was helped by @amirm 's Focal Stellia measurements from 2021 and I feel inclined to announce the technology on ASR first. I invented this with all of you in mind, whether today or in the future when you no longer hear as well.

I’m introducing novel technology that represents a divergent approach on hearing correction (sound personalization) that, from a technical perspective, aims to restore the perception of near 'perfect' hearing with only a piece of software. It’s free software. It works with all listening devices. It’s so novel I am not sure what to call it—sound personalization, hearing refinement, hearing correction, maybe even room correction for your ears.

In branded speak its revolutionary hearing refinement technology that calibrates audio across all devices to your full-spectrum hearing profile. Hearing profile here means your threshold of hearing from 125Hz-20kHz. Be cautious when you see the term hearing profile out there. It is a term that seems to mean everything and nothing right now. I hope to change that.

I invite you to audition my free technology and let me know your impressions. It is one of my internal development favorites. We are a small team of two and hope the community is interested in providing feedback on the technology, how it sounds to you, or even the general problem we’re addressing.

You can dive into general details at https://Altitude.Audio, which is where you can download it for free to lend your ears. Or ask me anything you want to know. I hope it improves your daily enjoyment and connection with your music, just like it has for me.

Ice-Breaker Measurement: Here's a quick picture with one ‘measurement’ (max sample rate) that is likely to generate some opinions. Don’t forget to tell me how you want this technology measured and we’ll make it happen.

1709645540778.png

* One need not actually use it at SRs this high, but you can if inclined.

The Problem: Each of us has a unique hearing profile that changes over time. Existing sound personalization or hearing correction technologies largely focus on speech, are lossy, or have a hardware dongle (hearable), which renders them ill-suited for audio enthusiasts or stereo & multi-channel systems. Known commercial solutions rely on sparse hearing test data, which appear to forecast over 82% of the “hearing profile”, including 100% of the spectrum above 4kHz—the region sensitive to age related hearing loss.

Our Solution: We've developed a calibrated, HD hearing test that finely maps your hearing profile from 125Hz to 20kHz, enabling our hearing refinement technology, ARIA, to deliver lossless & high-resolution sound personalization (hearing correction). Lossless and high-resolution are used technically here. ARIA works with any digital audio source and all listening devices (no hardware dongles) without the fidelity compromises found in BT sound personalization embodiments.

How it works now:
  • Choose from 13 characteristic hearing profiles based on our calibrated, full-spectrum hearing test.
  • Customize the type and level of correction to suit your hearing.
  • Tune the image, soundstage, and dynamics with 28 parameters.
  • Custom psychoacoustic filter architecture
  • Works as both a standalone app and an audio plugin (VST3 & AUv3) on Windows and macOS. Just add a virtual audio device (VAD) like BlackHole (included on macOS).
What's Next:

April will bring full personalization with our calibrated, HD hearing test and ARIA Reference Edition’s launch at AXPONA's ear gear experience. These also bring more granular control over how your hearing profile is applied, down to individual hearing bands. And more advanced DSP options, such as mid/sides vs left/right linked vs left/right decoupled processing, minimum phase, and a more sophisticated DSP topology. Oh, we're also making it so you can export your personalized filters as an impulse response to port to any other software with a convolution engine.

Come April you may see something like this. Though there's still a lot we're trying to fit in and may change, pending your impressions of ARIA Prerelease.
1709645643329.png

How to Listen & Critique: Check out https://Altitude.Audio for more information and our free internal development product for auditioning. In 30 seconds listen to ARIA’s impact contrasted with three level of simulated hearing loss here:
Or review a more in-depth assessment here:

I hope to hear what everyone thinks, wants to see added or removed, or heard when listening.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I hope to hear what everyone thinks, wants to see added or removed, or heard when listening.

I have high frequency loss.

My experimentation indicates it is more like a brick wall filter.

EQ doesn't change perception.

The range that I do hear works well enough, though.

I blame genetics, the loss discovered as a child, and similar to Mother's.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This invention was helped by @amirm 's Focal Stellia measurements from 2021 and I feel inclined to announce the technology on ASR first. I invented this with all of you in mind, whether today or in the future when you no longer hear as well.

I’m introducing novel technology that represents a divergent approach on hearing correction (sound personalization) that, from a technical perspective, aims to restore the perception of near 'perfect' hearing with only a piece of software. It’s free software. It works with all listening devices. It’s so novel I am not sure what to call it—sound personalization, hearing refinement, hearing correction, maybe even room correction for your ears.

In branded speak its revolutionary hearing refinement technology that calibrates audio across all devices to your full-spectrum hearing profile. Hearing profile here means your threshold of hearing from 125Hz-20kHz. Be cautious when you see the term hearing profile out there. It is a term that seems to mean everything and nothing right now. I hope to change that.

I invite you to audition my free technology and let me know your impressions. It is one of my internal development favorites. We are a small team of two and hope the community is interested in providing feedback on the technology, how it sounds to you, or even the general problem we’re addressing.

You can dive into general details at https://Altitude.Audio, which is where you can download it for free to lend your ears. Or ask me anything you want to know. I hope it improves your daily enjoyment and connection with your music, just like it has for me.

Ice-Breaker Measurement: Here's a quick picture with one ‘measurement’ (max sample rate) that is likely to generate some opinions. Don’t forget to tell me how you want this technology measured and we’ll make it happen.

View attachment 354329

* One need not actually use it at SRs this high, but you can if inclined.

The Problem: Each of us has a unique hearing profile that changes over time. Existing sound personalization or hearing correction technologies largely focus on speech, are lossy, or have a hardware dongle (hearable), which renders them ill-suited for audio enthusiasts or stereo & multi-channel systems. Known commercial solutions rely on sparse hearing test data, which appear to forecast over 82% of the “hearing profile”, including 100% of the spectrum above 4kHz—the region sensitive to age related hearing loss.

Our Solution: We've developed a calibrated, HD hearing test that finely maps your hearing profile from 125Hz to 20kHz, enabling our hearing refinement technology, ARIA, to deliver lossless & high-resolution sound personalization (hearing correction). Lossless and high-resolution are used technically here. ARIA works with any digital audio source and all listening devices (no hardware dongles) without the fidelity compromises found in BT sound personalization embodiments.

How it works now:
  • Choose from 13 characteristic hearing profiles based on our calibrated, full-spectrum hearing test.
  • Customize the type and level of correction to suit your hearing.
  • Tune the image, soundstage, and dynamics with 28 parameters.
  • Custom psychoacoustic filter architecture
  • Works as both a standalone app and an audio plugin (VST3 & AUv3) on Windows and macOS. Just add a virtual audio device (VAD) like BlackHole (included on macOS).
What's Next:

April will bring full personalization with our calibrated, HD hearing test and ARIA Reference Edition’s launch at AXPONA's ear gear experience. These also bring more granular control over how your hearing profile is applied, down to individual hearing bands. And more advanced DSP options, such as mid/sides vs left/right linked vs left/right decoupled processing, minimum phase, and a more sophisticated DSP topology. Oh, we're also making it so you can export your personalized filters as an impulse response to port to any other software with a convolution engine.

Come April you may see something like this. Though there's still a lot we're trying to fit in and may change, pending your impressions of ARIA Prerelease.
View attachment 354330

How to Listen & Critique: Check out https://Altitude.Audio for more information and our free internal development product for auditioning. In 30 seconds listen to ARIA’s impact contrasted with three level of simulated hearing loss here:
Or review a more in-depth assessment here:

Thanks for your time.
Interesting project, I like it.

We've been struggling with my Dad's hearing (quite deaf). When he has his hearing aids high enough to hear speech, the sounds of silverware or a siren are extremely irritating to him. The audiologist doesn't seem to be able to deal with this. The added problem is that he's 92 and has Alzheimer's so he is not capable of negotiating a variable frequency profile, and his aides aren't really either. It seems like we are on the cusp of consumer hearing aids with adjustable profiles (e.g. meal, movie, TV, phone, urban outdoor), much as you have outlined here by device/profile.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I think this is an extremely interesting project, and hope it will be a useful and popular product. I’ve had just two similar products in the past. One was built into the native music player app in an HTC phone (now defunct), and the other is part of the iOS app for JBL earbuds. In both cases, the user takes a hearing test of five or so bands, and the software calculates compensation filters. Both worked pretty well. By the sounds of it, ARIA will have much broader usability.

HoweSound

Thank you for this - I will set aside time to explore your invention. I have hearing loss and use hearing aids for work related meetings etc., but will not use them for for music listening. Despite hearing loss I am still acutely conscious of the quality (or lack thereof) of music sources and playback equipment.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like Ray, my hearing loss is more like a brick wall filter over 1650kHz compounded by tinnitus which I've had since youth. So your app won't do much for me personally but I applaud your efforts and I'm sure there will be many who could benefit.

I had a buddy with more broad spectrum hearing issues who went to an audiologist and got expensive in-ear devices. I took the data from the audiologist and created an EQ profile from it as a preset on his gear for music and movies which he said worked great albeit for solo listening/viewing. Unfortunately he only got to enjoy it for a couple months before passing.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Moderators, I think it would be really useful if you could aggregate all these hearing and hearing assistance related threads into one place perhaps as a sub category to this one? Or another category altogether. Not sure physical or medically related hearing loss belongs in a psycho acoustics grouping

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd have to think boosting highs to restore hearing loss will do two things. Increase that hearing loss, and be uncomfortable to listen to if you have that loss. One of the issues with damage to the cochlea is those variable filter bands (critical bands) in your hearing (equivalent to something like 32 bands) become less selective with age and hearing loss. So even fixing the frequency response doesn't fix this overlapping band problem. This is why older people with hearing loss have trouble picking out details in noisy environments or get uncomfortable from the general noise in say large sporting events. What once was loud, becomes a loud cacophony. In a sense masking ability of hearing is compromised so everything sounds all run together. I'll admit not reading the OP's detailed info. Did I miss something addressing this?

V17

I have not found specific information about how it actually works. Could you share more detail, especially regarding how it differs from something like Peace Equalizer? That one lets you find your threshold of hearing for different frequencies (preset ones by default, but can be edited iirc), then corrects those thresholds based on ISO equal loudness curves for different volumes and creates an EQ based on that.

Davide

Interesting. I actually wanted a tool like this. I think I'll try it when I have time. From the info, the reference version seems decidedly more interesting. Will there be a trial? What will also be the price target?
I don't understand if purchasing the free pre-release now is a sort of introductory offer or if the definitive version will then have to be purchased...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
FYI.

We have discussed this project with the Op and he is giving this product away and not charging any fees. Therefore he is not a Vendor. Should he decide to start charging a fee for this or any other Audio related product that he has for sale he will be Registered at that time. Very generous of him to offer this product to our community for free. :cool:

OP
J

jjaskuna

Forum Donor
Interesting project, I like it.

We've been struggling with my Dad's hearing (quite deaf). When he has his hearing aids high enough to hear speech, the sounds of silverware or a siren are extremely irritating to him. The audiologist doesn't seem to be able to deal with this. The added problem is that he's 92 and has Alzheimer's so he is not capable of negotiating a variable frequency profile, and his aides aren't really either. It seems like we are on the cusp of consumer hearing aids with adjustable profiles (e.g. meal, movie, TV, phone, urban outdoor), much as you have outlined here by device/profile.
Please excuse my delayed response. I wanted to ensure my intent was clear first, hence an update to the post.

I hope this drives some innovation around adjustable profiles, as different use cases or environments present unique problems. Not just for the listener, but also for engineering a solution. This is, admittedly, just my opinion.

OP
J

jjaskuna

Forum Donor
DC to daylight, baby
Thank you for bringing up DC!

Surprisingly, determining what to forecast below 125 and down to 0Hz was one of the more challenging aspects.

Top Bottom