• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Adapter Review

Rate this converter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 121 82.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

notsodeadlizard

This device has such a narrow application in the real world that its parameters can be neglected altogether.
Most likely, its scope is narrowly professional, it is something like sounding restaurants and gyms "for modest money", and 0.06% THD does not bother anyone at all here.
It is simply impossible to think of why and who needs such a device in a compact home audio system.
And this is the most important thing about such a device.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Look at the numerous amateurish measurements here full of mains supply lines as a result of signal ground loops. It is really difficult to explain something, one needs t have his own experience. Close to impossible to try to explain.
Yep:

without care.PNG

Without care

with care.PNG
With care

And that's only a loopback,imagine what can happen if 2-3-5 devices are interlinked.

(from an as amateur as it gets)

aslan7

This is a little surprising as Neutrik enjoys a good reputation, at least their XLR connectors. But science doesn’t lie. Thanks for a brief but informative review.

Randyman...

I am still not sure why we keep talking about "stage use". There are numerous guys on this forum who complain about hum/buzz even in domestic audio conditions. A simple example, this is what I get if I connect 2 USB audio devices, Topping D10s DAC and E1DA Cosmos ADC, directly on one same PC, without using USB isolator for D10s.

Direct connection, with properly connected RCA-XLR 3-wire cable, this cable (often recommended here) does not help.
View attachment 293168

And this is the result with the link transformer adapter
View attachment 293169

The audible buzz in the 1st case is unacceptable. The trafo adapter fixes it, without possible compatibility issues of the USB opto-isolator.

At expense of LF distortion dependent on level, but, this distortion is inaudible and the proof is as simple as A-B-C : the DBT level matched test.

View attachment 293171

I am really frustrated when the useful tool like this gets the headless panther, for the reason that such decision of the OP has huge influence to most of the inexperienced readers here.
So you use the Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX reviewed here for this purpose? And you don't notice the bass rolloff or saturation in an A/B? Or are you using a much better isolation transformer that likely costs 2x-4x as much and is much larger?

If you are not using the Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX, would you mind swapping a pair in and see how things change?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you just keep buying that stuff then, and complaining. Good luck. At least you won't need a tow truck.
I was correcting your error, not complaining about the tested product.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They gave two limitations: 1%@50 Hz and -3dBu it was all there..
This makes it very clear it's not for hifi use...
but now I fall in to repetition..
Now I am even more curious how a 500mv measurement would have looked like..:cool:
Do you mean just because they said it is a bad device, which is not fit to be used for transmitting audio, they should get away by selling a bad device?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Neutrik makes and sells connectors.
Not DI boxes nor studio equipment.
This is just 2 connectors in a box with a cheap/small not really special isolation transformer in it that can offer some help in certain situations.

I think it would be wise to see Neutrik for what it is. A connector manufacturer (including cables and converters).
Their connectors are affordable and of good build quality.

The fact that they have a good name also in the audio world (their connector offering is wider than the audio connector sub division) doesn't make them an audio company nor know what that industry needs (besides connectors/cables).
That's something to keep in mind.
Your words only accentuated what @amirm is saying. This is a bad device made by an otherwise respectable manufacturer. It is hence more important that they should be shamed openly.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pma

Major Contributor
So you use the Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX reviewed here for this purpose? And you don't notice the bass rolloff or saturation in an A/B? Or are you using a much better isolation transformer that likely costs 2x-4x as much and is much larger?

If you are not using the Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX, would you mind swapping a pair in and see how things change?
Not for measurements, however yes for usual use in audio chain to avoid ground loop issues. I have had a similar adapter for about 15 years and I know it very well. Several times it fixed issues between class I preamps and power amps. And the insertion is inaudible re distortion.
No audible bass saturation, but used to 2V max. Bass distortion is often inaudible even if higher than 10%. Make your tests and you will see.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Its intended use? A PA system with a mic that generates less than 70 mV? Distortion severely rises below 100 Hz, therefore the choice to cut f below 50 Hz is less than good practice of electronic engineering. A surprising poor showing for a reputable brand. I will write to Prince Hans-Adam II to voice my bitter disappointment!

Porter

This thing could be extremely useful for quickly process-of-elimination testing where a hum is coming from. There are plenty of situations where pro/roadie equipment fails in weird ways (from transport handling or hard use) and a sound tech is trying to diagnose a problem on the fly, sometimes at a significant distance from the signal source. Sometimes that signal source is coming from other people's equipment that you contractually aren't allowed to touch or troubleshoot directly.

I could see a canny tech having a kit of these on hand in different input/output connector flavors, purely to insert in a signal path as a test to see if isolation causes a change in behavior elsewhere. That would provide really useful info about where to go to actually find and fix the problem. This isolator wouldn't be left in the signal chain except in the most extreme/dire circumstance.

So, I agree that the assumptions surrounding this test do not seem to match its intended application at all, which (as stated by Neutrik) is explicitly "problem solving". I particularly think this device would be useful to the activity of problem solving, not that this product would itself be the ideal solution to a problem.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not for measurements, however yes for usual use in audio chain to avoid ground loop issues. I have had a similar adapter for about 15 years and I know it very well. Several times it fixed issues between class I preamps and power amps. And the insertion is inaudible re distortion.
No audible bass saturation, but used to 2V max. Bass distortion is often inaudible even if higher than 10%. Make your tests and you will see.
How about the unspecified HP filter on this device; do you think you can’t hear this? Tested at 1V, almost on spec.

1687095670189.png

Hayabusa

How have you surmised its intended use?
I was not talking about the use but about the specified limits.
That clearly states -3dBu.
But its use I already described in previous posts:
A solution for solving ground-loop problems (hum) for low level devices ( musical instruments, microphones etc) , not hifi.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not talking about the use but about the specified limits.
That clearly states -3dBu.
But its use I already described in previous posts:
A solution for solving ground-loop problems (hum) for low level devices ( musical instruments, microphones etc) , not hifi.
If I connect a keyboard and lower the output volume so that I does not exceed 0.54V any low frequency sounds I generate will be reduced dramatically and that is OK by you?

BTW, if you connect a microphone to the XLR input of the device, do you know of any pro device that has RCA inputs for microphones? I’m trying to follow company’s advise, you see…

Hayabusa

If I connect a keyboard and lower the output volume so that I does not exceed 0.54V any low frequency sounds I generate will be reduced dramatically and that is OK by you?

BTW, if you connect a microphone to the XLR input of the device, do you know of any pro device that has RCA inputs for microphones? I’m trying to follow company’s advise, you see…
do I really need to answer this, you are asking the obvious, 50Hz was also spec-ed as limit.. so if you want nice bass this is not the device for you.
Isn't this "D shape adapter" made to fit in some other device/rack? I wouldn't be surprised... Let me google some more... -> no.... its not the case...

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
do I really need to answer this, you are asking the obvious, 50Hz was also spec-ed as limit.. so if you want nice bass this is not the device for you.
Max. Input level (@ 50 Hz, 1% THD): -3 dBu.

What part of this specification tells us about the bandwidth? It simply says the distortion at 50Hz at -3dBu

Isn't this "D shape adapter" made to fit in some other device/rack? I wouldn't be surprised... Let me google some more... -> no.... its not the case...
I have no idea what you are talking about other than sarcasm I sense. I asked you what device will have RCA connector on microphone input if it is meant to be used for microphones. Maybe you can answer it the second time I asked?

Hayabusa

Max. Input level (@ 50 Hz, 1% THD): -3 dBu.

What part of this specification tells us about the bandwidth? It simply says the distortion at 50Hz at -3dBu

I have no idea what you are talking about other than sarcasm I sense. I asked you what device will have RCA connector on microphone input if it is meant to be used for microphones. Maybe you can answer it the second time I asked?
no.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Hayabusa

Top Bottom