• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

Carb0n12

KH80 standby defunctioned after using network setting (Neumann.Control & MA1). I tried to reset the monitors according official instruction but failed. Anyone has this issue as well? Is this a bug? I saw someone mentioned this too. The new firmware doesn't fix this problem. Appreciate comments and instructions.
I'd delete the calibration profiles, uninstall MA1 software, clean drivers, reboot computer, re-install the MA1 software, reset your KH750 (if you have it) AND your KH80's again. Try re-installing the firmware, then begin the process all over again. If this doesn't work, there might be a nasty bug going on that needs to be reported to Neumann.

Reactions: HQY

HQY

I'd delete the calibration profiles, uninstall MA1 software, clean drivers, reboot computer, re-install the MA1 software, reset your KH750 (if you have it) AND your KH80's again. Try re-installing the firmware, then begin the process all over again. If this doesn't work, there might be a nasty bug going on that needs to be reported to Neumann.
Thank you very much for the advice. I will try this method. :)

radix

Major Contributor
KH80 standby defunctioned after using network setting (Neumann.Control & MA1). I tried to reset the monitors according official instruction but failed. Anyone has this issue as well? Is this a bug? I saw someone mentioned this too. The new firmware doesn't fix this problem. Appreciate comments and instructions.
I use a smart power strip (Bits Limited LCG-3MVR ) on my DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC FS) to power the KH80/KH750. Works great. I agree the built-in auto-sensing is broken, at least last time I tried it a year or two ago.

Reactions: HQY

HQY

I use a smart power strip (Bits Limited LCG-3MVR ) on my DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC FS) to power the KH80/KH750. Works great. I agree the built-in auto-sensing is broken, at least last time I tried it a year or two ago.

Thank you very much for the good idea.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the subject of physically small speakers for "far field" listening not "filling the room" or "sounding constrained".

Personally I question if this is a thing. Physically, how would it happen? The directionality measurements are angles so if the listener were further away, the area covered would be proportionally larger, so I don't see how a small speaker with 50 deg horizontal directivity would be discernably different from a large speaker with the same directivity, never mind the reflections which would have a huge confounding impact. There's a difference in how much of a point source the two speakers would be, but is that of any consequence?
I think you have a point here.
Bass extension is obviously an issue with small drivers, but subwoofers have a lot of advantages and that's not what I'm addressing which is the physical size of the speaker.

Sound level is a different discussion. I can certainly believe that larger drivers can produce higher SPL, but if it's loud enough for your taste, what would the difference be in blind tests?

Has anyone done any blind comparisons between small and large comparable speakers at over 2m listening distance?
I demoed Genelec 8020a and K&H O300D twice to friends in a 50 square meter room at 3.7 m listening distance, with and without a Genelec 7060b sub. Not blind though

With bass heavy music and no sub the 8020s distorted at much lower SPL than the O300D. With sub they played louder but not as loud as the O300D, tonality was close but they played not as "free" and effortless, could be IMD and compression.

BTW at one round I played a bass heavy track (Kari Bremnes, last track of Svarta Bjørn) not too loud on the 8020 without sub and my friend insisted that the sub was still active. His jaw dropped when he went to the sub and realized it did not play.

Melnar

I am planning on using these for nearfield monitoring only, for music production at ~1.25 meters (~4ft) in a 6.4 cu meter/225 cu ft room. Music production includes electronics/synths and full range kit. Based on the published 93db @2.3 meters for a pair for long term pink noise (not sure if that is the right spl value to look at) these should be pushing 98db at my 1.4 meters as per online distance attenuation calculator. I don't have a phone or spl meter that goes above 88db so I can't measure what I might need for now. Thanks.
Thanks for all the responses for my questions regarding the KH80/KH750 SPL questions. Good comments. Appreciated.

RDoc

I think you have a point here.

I demoed Genelec 8020a and K&H O300D twice to friends in a 50 square meter room at 3.7 m listening distance, with and without a Genelec 7060b sub. Not blind though

With bass heavy music and no sub the 8020s distorted at much lower SPL than the O300D. With sub they played louder but not as loud as the O300D, tonality was close but they played not as "free" and effortless, could be IMD and compression.

BTW at one round I played a bass heavy track (Kari Bremnes, last track of Svarta Bjørn) not too loud on the 8020 without sub and my friend insisted that the sub was still active. His jaw dropped when he went to the sub and realized it did not play.
Interesting indeed. Considering the price difference and 3 way vs 2 way, it's pretty remarkable that they were so close.

As an aside, I must say that IMHO DSP speakers, computer modeling and other technical improvements are really wonderful for speaker customers. My suspicion is that we'll be seeing much lower cost speakers soon with surprisingly good performance. At that point the high end speakers will likely be a match for the electronics.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Q for KH80 users out there, have the sleep/wake issues been resolved yet? Last I tried to use it, maybe a year ago, the 80's would wake for no reason no matter what sensitivity was set to. Happened frequently, I noticed it maybe 4x every day which means it probably happened much more often.

HQY

PaulieDC

Q for KH80 users out there, have the sleep/wake issues been resolved yet? Last I tried to use it, maybe a year ago, the 80's would wake for no reason no matter what sensitivity was set to. Happened frequently, I noticed it maybe 4x every day which means it probably happened much more often.
Did that to me quite often. Now that we are back in the office 4 out of 5 days, I just power them off and cover them until I'm home and fire up my rig (orchestral composition work). That's how I fixed it. ;)

I did speculate that it was the KH750 sub making the KH80s come on since I never turn that off, but do you have the sub, or just running KH80s? I'm thinking of putting the sub on my TrippLite strip that has individual power switches for each outlet so I can start powering that off as well, and test to see if the 80s come out of sleep when that's off.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did that to me quite often. Now that we are back in the office 4 out of 5 days, I just power them off and cover them until I'm home and fire up my rig (orchestral composition work). That's how I fixed it. ;)

I did speculate that it was the KH750 sub making the KH80s come on since I never turn that off, but do you have the sub, or just running KH80s? I'm thinking of putting the sub on my TrippLite strip that has individual power switches for each outlet so I can start powering that off as well, and test to see if the 80s come out of sleep when that's off.

I used them with both the 750 and as surrounds in a multichannel, happened either way. Seems like a problem that could be fixed with firmware, but for whatever reason hasn't happened yet

jmf11

Hello,

I'm buying a pair of kh80 that I will use with a home theater subwoofer.

Would you have some experience with this type of set up? Which cut-off frequencies and slopes did you used?

I have the figures for the kh750, but maybe some are using different values?

Best regards,

Jmf

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are you going to use them for? What distance? It sounds like a terrible combination.

jmf11

I'm going to use it for "experiment" around Toole scorings with subwoofer and EQ. From Spinorama.org, the KH80 have a big potential.

I will use it for music listening, In a 20m2 room, at 1.5-2m.

It is not for mixing/mastering music.

I also want to discover "studio monitor" sound and compare to my LX-Mini.

I have a Umik microphone and I know Rew.

I don't want to spend the extra money for a KH750 and/or MA1+phantom power supply.

I also know that there are better cheaper and better more expensive options :). However based on opportunity for kh80 and some analysis, I went to that one.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to use it for "experiment" around Toole scorings with subwoofer and EQ. From Spinorama.org, the KH80 have a big potential.

I don't want to spend the extra money for a KH750 and/or MA1+phantom power supply.

I also know that there are better cheaper and better more expensive options :). However based on opportunity for kh80 and some analysis, I went to that one.
There's nothing wrong with using a sub with studio monitor speakers, and of course some of it is gonna come down to the quality of the sub. A lot of it is gonna come down to how you integrate your sub. I integrated mine using REW & UMIK and a cheap miniDSP to do the crossover & apply the EQ. I'm definitely not an expert on sub integration as I've only done it once, lol! My room layout is restricting so I experimented with different crossovers, and for me 120Hz crossover was the best to minimise dips and the idea being also to use the power of the subwoofer to help fill some of the dips. I used a 24dB crossover (somekind of standard crossover used by miniDSP, can't remember the name). I optimised phase setting in the subwoofer for best response at listening position as well as putting in time delays in the miniDSP to ensure that sub was aligned with the speakers (which I did based on measuring distance of sub from speakers in relation to listening position as this is configurable within miniDSP). Also volume aligned both speakers using miniDSP for my listening positions (I have two possible listening positions, so two different EQ profiles I use). I'm quite sure my result is not optimal as I'm restricted what I can do in the room. That's a rough outline of the process I used, but note the order I listed what I did is not the order in which I carried out the steps.

It also really helps to have a sub that you can fully control from a smartphone app, that way you can quickly change all parameters at your listening position & even save different profiles. subs I guess are often located in very awkward positions and I can't imagine having to move my speakers & TV everytime I wanted to change a parameter on my sub - and also would have made it impossible to flip quickly between different profiles for different listening positions just in normal everyday use.

jmf11

Thanks for the feedback Robbo99999. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

I have the understanding that a correct integration is more important than the "reasonable products" if not looking for very high spl.

120hz is a high cut off

Jmf

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning

AOK. Let us know how it works. Glad your LP is not too far.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback Robbo99999. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

I have the understanding that a correct integration is more important than the "reasonable products" if not looking for very high spl.

120hz is a high cut off

Jmf
Yeah, it is a high cut-off, but seemed to give me the best results. The sub is also between the two speakers so there's not really localisation of the sub to worry about - to me I can't locate the sub when I listen to music, it just sounds like everything is coming from the same source.

Yes, integration is very important. Of course different subs give you different bass extensions and different SPL capability in relation to distortion, but ultimately I think that integration plays a bigger role.

RDoc

I have a similar setup a subwoofer with its own amp with adjustable bands and 3 front kh80s and 2 side speakers. I used REW to flatten the subwoofer and then the Audyssey app in our Denon to generate a room curve. Based on ASR tests I set the crossover for the kh80s at 60 Hz. Based on Toole's tests I set up the room curve with more base above 1kHz.
We mostly listen to jazz, vocals, and classical so are not too worried about very high SPL although it's certainly loud enough for the occasional Hendrix track in our 40 sq m room. I suspect you'll have very reasonable SPL in your room but not earth shattering.

jmf11

I have a similar setup a subwoofer with its own amp with adjustable bands and 3 front kh80s and 2 side speakers. I used REW to flatten the subwoofer and then the Audyssey app in our Denon to generate a room curve. Based on ASR tests I set the crossover for the kh80s at 60 Hz. Based on Toole's tests I set up the room curve with more base above 1kHz.
We mostly listen to jazz, vocals, and classical so are not too worried about very high SPL although it's certainly loud enough for the occasional Hendrix track in our 40 sq m room. I suspect you'll have very reasonable SPL in your room but not earth shattering.
Thanks Rdoc,

Encouraging feedback :) If you have the link to some posts about "Based on ASR tests I set the crossover for the kh80s at 60 Hz.", I'm interested.

Is it the Denon AVR that does the low cut filter on the KH80?

Best regards,

JMF

Top Bottom