• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ND25FW-4 , tweeter. What are + and -? Red-black?

YSDR

100x40 rounded diff (1).png
This is probably a tweeter without a waveguide (or not large enough waveguide in the relation to the baffle width), that's why we see a polar response widening around 3 kHz.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
This is probably a tweeter without a waveguide (or not large enough waveguide in the relation to the baffle width), that's why we see a polar response widening around 3 kHz.
That's right. It was a general example with tweeter without WG.:)

For myself, I listen to music in two different ways. Either in a fixed listening position or I move around in the listening room and in other rooms (cleaning, cooking, fixing various things). In the case of a fixed listening position, it is the on-axis response that must be good. In the second case, I could have omni speakers and or some home cinema system, with lots of speakers scattered in the listening room. Maybe then even speakers in the whole apartment, if it weren't for the fact that I don't want to set up speakers everywhere and run lots of cables.

A much cheaper and simpler solution if you want to listen to music and move around at the same time are of course headphones. When I do that I use a pair of Soundcore Anker Life Q30 Bluetooth headphones and it works fine.:)
It's also a tip if you're looking for a pair of ok Bluetooth headphones at a good price that have a long battery life, and by that I mean a LONG battery life, then I can recommend the Soundcore Anker Life Q30.

They cost $80:
Screenshot_2023-08-03_113151.jpg

badspeakerdesigner

You could just make a speaker with wide dispersion that is even and they'll sound good on an off axis. I can say the nd25fw offset on a ~14" baffle with no round overs didn't sound good on or off axis.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speaking of baffles. Probably the one with the most measured drivers is the IEC baffel. No round baffle corners on such a test baffle:
Screenshot_2022-11-30_211205 (2).jpg

I just took a tweeter at random and then it looks like this measured with an IEC baffle:
Screenshot_2023-08-03_144216.jpg

I'm including this for those wondering what IEC 268-5 is in SB's measurement:

badspeakerdesigner

Yes IEC baffles generally look quite clean because they are so large you don't really get diffraction.

Martinvb

Small speakers Goodman M100 that I got from a friend because they lacked a tweeter. I plugged that tweeter hole (doesn't look like that in the picture, but it's heavily plugged) and only use the 5 inch paper bass driver in them.
So what happened to the small Goodmans? I came across two of those little gems a few weeks ago in a local thrift shop. Unfortunately, the had been handled badly, as filters were bad and the tweeters burned out. After repairing the tweeters and swapping out filters they sounded unexpectedly pleasant for the small size they have. Will never let them go, unless I can make somebody with a small living space very happy with these M100’s.;)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
So what happened to the small Goodmans? I came across two of those little gems a few weeks ago in a local thrift shop. Unfortunately, the had been handled badly, as filters were bad and the tweeters burned out. After repairing the tweeters and swapping out filters they sounded unexpectedly pleasant for the small size they have. Will never let them go, unless I can make somebody with a small living space very happy with these M100’s.;)
I gave them to a friend. If one of them hadn't been missing an original tweeter, I probably would have kept them.

Glad you're happy with them after you fixed them.:)

Top Bottom