• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 68.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 93 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%

• Total voters

Haskil

Forum Donor
I've been waiting for Amir to get his hands on one of these and really appreciate the measurements and his analysis. I have both a Denon X3700 (9 months old) and a Uniti Atom (14 months old) which we alternate using with Klipsch Cornwall IVs & two RSL speedwoofer subs. There has been a very strong opinion formed in the household over the last 8 months and preference for music via the Uniti Atom. It reached the point my wife has asked that we no longer play music via the denon. I don't dispute the measurements presented or such however in practice it seems our family prefers the poorer measuring Uniti Atom by a wide margin for music duties.
Il have a Denon 3600 with Audyssey XT 32, Chromecat Audio with Roon, and Audirvana in UPnP, a Class D Gemincore and a pair of Divatech MC 210 (http://www.divatech.fr/divatech1pg/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/mc-210.pdf) from the ancient professional brand of Focal. The sound is absolutely marvelous... I have also Harman Kardon preamplifier, a DAC from Topping DX3 Pro 2, a Nad 218 THX, a Class D Gemincors (to choice) with the same Divatech and the sound is less marvelous. Very good but not so good... Thank you Audyssey !

But... Heos from Denon is a pity : one of the worst application in my opinion... I have also Sonos (very good application)... and Musicast from Yamaha (not gapless with Qobuz...) ... If you prefer Naim Uniti Ato to Denon 3700 it's for sound or for listen music with facility with a very good application ?

PS Sorry for my english : I'm French...

iv0

Sadly all discussion about this is suppressed over in the naim forums. I really think some of their naits, supernaits etc…. Need to be trsted. With all kinds of caps: hicaps, flatcaps, teddycaps….

kbex

I am an old guy, I am a physicist and a long time music lover with a decent set-up. My computer is connected to my stereo through a good DAC, so can somebody point out which benefit could I have using a streamer? I really cannot understand who would need this kind of boxes, really. Please, enlighten me...

The main argument people raise against computers is, that they are, supposedly, electronically noisy, and that noise can degrade the musical signal.

How much that noise impacts the sound depends on the clarity of your set up and your sense of sound, I guess.

There are ways to overcome this, there are companies such as SOtM and JCAT that sell PCI sound cards that, according to them, negate some or all of that noise.

There are various other devices such as USB to COAX converters that make various claims of knocking out the noise before it gets to your DAC.

I would suggest buying a WIIM mini, which is a cheap, about $90, puck like streamer that you can connect optically to your DAC and see what you think, may not hear any difference, but it's all fun !

Engine

I agree, in as much that I don't think this expensive streamer is worth it. I've just got an old laptop connected to a good Topping DAC - it doesn't look as clean as the box from Naim but it's soooo much more versatile including unlimited parametric EQ and of course all the streaming you could ever want.
Lol

Engine

How great the Atom is is told by 26 pages of the forum, mostly by people who don't own it but like to find its flaws. One would say 26 sides of "jealousy". Measurements do not tell much, the human ear is much more complicated than some ammeters and potentiometers. I am in love with my Atom, my children are not allowed to pass near him, my wife are not allowed to clean around him. If the house was on fire, I would first save Atom from the things, I would take him to a deserted island... Most things do not show the measurement, for example, that it has perfect cooling and transformer oversizing. I live in the south of Europe, the temperature often exceeds 40°C, it is cool even when listening loudly, unlike the former Marantz PM7000 120W, which with the same B&W speakers was very hot in August...

Last edited:

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How great the Atom is is told by 26 pages of the forum, mostly by people who don't own it but like to find its flaws. One would say 26 sides of "jealousy". Measurements do not tell much, the human ear is much more complicated than some ammeters and potentiometers. I am in love with my Atom, children are not allowed to pass near him, women are not allowed to clean around him. If the house was on fire, I would first save Atom from the things, I would take him to a deserted island... Most things do not show the measurement, for example, that it has perfect cooling and transformer oversizing. I live in the south of Europe, the temperature often exceeds 40°C, it is cool even when listening loudly, unlike the former Marantz PM7000 120W, which with the same B&W speakers was very hot in August...
Instead of making misogenic and child hostile commentaries, you should buy a fridge instead. And sure, the good things never show up in the measurements, only the bad things, the world really is not fair! I created an account just to praise it!

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Instead of making misogenic and child hostile commentaries, you should buy a fridge instead. And sure, the good things never show up in the measurements, only the bad things, the world really is not fair! I created an account just to praise it!
During a vegetarian phase, I leaned to make tofu. Never went as far as making miso, but it’s still on my list of esoteric possibilities.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Measurements do not tell much, the human ear is much more complicated than some ammeters and potentiometers.
If the ear is that complicated, how come you know that about it? You don't have any formal education on this front, right? So best to not make up stuff on the fly this way.

As to the product, it is way too expensive relative to engineering that has gone into it. If this is sort of resentment for you, we can't help it. You need to complain to the company to up its game.

Garrincha

During a vegetarian phase, I leaned to make tofu. Never went as far as making miso, but it’s still on my list of esoteric possibilities.
Shouldn't you better make fun of this simple minded MISOGYNIC Naim defender guy instead of some non-native english speaker who just messed up? And probably people who don't like women are not prone to miso as well, while I am in favour of both.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Ahhh please don't take offence. I enjoyed both @Engine's original over-the-top post and your retort, for different reasons. I didn't think of language barrier though, just assumed it was one of those phone keyboard auto-correct misfires. Accept my apology?

*misogynistic is a sh*t of a word to spell, even for a native speaker. I literally never get it right first time.

Last edited:

iv0

How great the Atom is is told by 26 pages of the forum, mostly by people who don't own it but like to find its flaws. One would say 26 sides of "jealousy". Measurements do not tell much, the human ear is much more complicated than some ammeters and potentiometers. I am in love with my Atom, my children are not allowed to pass near him, my wife are not allowed to clean around him. If the house was on fire, I would first save Atom from the things, I would take him to a deserted island... Most things do not show the measurement, for example, that it has perfect cooling and transformer oversizing. I live in the south of Europe, the temperature often exceeds 40°C, it is cool even when listening loudly, unlike the former Marantz PM7000 120W, which with the same B&W speakers was very hot in August...
Yeah. Nice attempt to justify your purchase. Don’t worry and better get a new family. Your current one doesn’t seem particularly worth it.

Engine

If the ear is that complicated, how come you know that about it? You don't have any formal education on this front, right? So best to not make up stuff on the fly this way.

As to the product, it is way too expensive relative to engineering that has gone into it. If this is sort of resentment for you, we can't help it. You need to complain to the company to up its game.
Dear Armirn,
It is a pleasure to discuss with you. Let me say right away that it seems to me that my post was misunderstood. No, I am not a Naim fan or follower. I'll explain later.
I must say that I am not an audio engineer, but I am an engineer. Measuring is my profession and I do it every day. I have no reason to doubt your measurement, I see you have a lot of experience with it. You yourself know that one measurement is not a lot of data, especially I don't know the meta-data (whether the measured Atom was working correctly, whether the instruments were correct and calibrated, whether the Atom had previously warmed up early, whether there was moisture, dust or noise in the room for measurement, is the Atom connection with the instruments ideal, did you even repeat the measurements on another Atom and in other conditions...).
I agree that Atom is too expensive. But many electrical things in my house are too expensive. So only the iPhone costs 1.5k eur?! Although I still have a 24-year-old Nokia 5110 in working condition. I bought the Atom in 2019 when the price was below 2000 euros. I could have bought functionally similar products at the time for twice the price (Yamaha, NAD or Denon), but this one won me over at the first listen at the local audio dealer (and more...). Maybe it doesn't deserve the price of over 1000 euros, but I had to buy it and have it.
My Post should have indicated that I am very satisfied with Atom. I would call it "the ease of listening to music". I've been in audiophile waters for a long time, but I've been using the Atom for 3 years now, which caused a complete turnaround in conception - I completely eliminated various receivers, amplifiers, preamplifiers, cable interconnectors... through the house, even the audio shelf. All that was replaced by Atom.
For three years it was a pleasure to listen to music on Atom. It has disadvantages in addition to the high price, it is not an ideal product. Each software upload is a bit of torture, later it has to be restarted a couple of times (hard restart). I have written many times to Naim support about this.
But that doesn't mean that I personally am not very satisfied with the product.
I also doubt that the next generation Atom will be a leap forward. Either it will be significantly more expensive, or the quality will decrease (perhaps made in China). Well, even Supernait 2 is not better than the first generation.

I enjoy the exchange of opinions in which I can also learn. English is not my mother tongue...

balletboy

There is an annual festival at Oxford University that is 5 or 6 days, with two scientific lectures and two live performances (mostly classical, occasionally jazz) each day. The academic and musical level is world class. It is a lot of fun. Some of the scientific lectures are unrelated to music, but some are related to the perception and experience of sound, sometimes in the context of illness. See for example http://www.bobrovnikova.com. A memorable event was a lecture by two professors, one being Russell Foster, Professor of Circadian Neuroscience. The programme notes include "Sunlight is vital to life on Earth; not only does it enable plants to grow it also allows us to see. But it does much more than this including, regulating our body clocks, sleep, seasonal rhythms and even alertness." This was followed by a concert in pitch blackness, at 10pm, with all the windows blacked out, and no external noise. The venue, Holywell Music Room, the oldest concert hall in Europe, has very thick walls and the external noise is usually limited to bicycles. Blindfolds were provided but unnecessary, as I could not see even the shadow of my hand 6 inches in front of me. The performers were a well known jazz trio (piano, percussion, bass), who played for 90 minutes non-stop and were magnificent, especially given they could not see their instruments or each other. It was the most intense musical experience I can recall. There have been lectures, for example, about how the brain function of children is affected by long training from a young age.

The human circadian detector cells that Russell Foster led the discovery and understanding of (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Foster) respond very slowly to light conditions, but have a dramatic impact on how our body and brain functions, including our mood. Taking that into account, do a level matched blind test you would have to stay in controlled light conditions for at least a day, and probably only test at one time in the year.

What always gets me from how much we do know is probably how little we really know as a whole about how our brains process sensory perception. Circadian cycles are well known, but the physiology in humans has only been understood for about 20 years.

For example, he explained that it has been known for ages, for example from WWI 100 years ago, that soldiers who were visually blinded and had their eyes removed for cosmetic reasons and replaced with glass eyes, suffered from irregular sleep patterns. By removing their eyes, the functioning non-rod circadian cells were inadvertently removed, hence the effect on sleep and a lot else besides. Those cells are deep in the eye and were only recently discovered.

I find these things endlessly fascinating and I marvel at the breadth and ingenuity of research. One thing that I draw from this is the possible misconception that the ear/brain is a consistent and reliable detection device. Quite the opposite seems to be the case, it varies all the time.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Jimi Floyd

The main argument people raise against computers is, that they are, supposedly, electronically noisy, and that noise can degrade the musical signal.

How much that noise impacts the sound depends on the clarity of your set up and your sense of sound, I guess.

There are ways to overcome this, there are companies such as SOtM and JCAT that sell PCI sound cards that, according to them, negate some or all of that noise.

There are various other devices such as USB to COAX converters that make various claims of knocking out the noise before it gets to your DAC.

I would suggest buying a WIIM mini, which is a cheap, about $90, puck like streamer that you can connect optically to your DAC and see what you think, may not hear any difference, but it's all fun !
Thank you for your kind answer. Fact is that playing the same CDs from a CD transport (via coax) or from my Mac (via USB) to the same DAC sounds exactly the same. Moreover there is absolutely no evidence that bits arriving from a computer are "more noisy" than bits from a streamer, which is also a computer, by the way. My setup sound good to me and I like a lot the computer ability to get any source of music on the net, see as an example Radio Garden. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What always gets me from how much we do know is probably how little we really know as a whole about how our brains process sensory perception. Circadian cycles are well known, but the physiology in humans has only been understood for about 20 years.

For example, he explained that it has been known for ages, for example from WWI 100 years ago, that soldiers who were visually blinded and had their eyes removed for cosmetic reasons and replaced with glass eyes, suffered from irregular sleep patterns. By removing their eyes, the functioning non-rod circadian cells were inadvertently removed, hence the effect on sleep and a lot else besides. Those cells are deep in the eye and were only recently discovered.

I find these things endlessly fascinating and I marvel at the breadth and ingenuity of research. One thing that I draw from this is the possible misconception that the ear/brain is a consistent and reliable detection device. Quite the opposite seems to be the case, it varies all the time.

What if “sighted bias” actually changes the way that you hear music and it’s not just bias, but something an fMRI can pick up in our auditory processing portions of our brain? When you close your eyes to listen to the music, our assumption is that our hearing is enhanced based upon what is known about those who are actually blind, and the audiophile assumption that less external stimulus is better. But what if listening with your eyes open, causes your brain to activate and expend extra resources in our auditory processing?

You can imagine as a caveman/cavewoman, when you were hunting, you would actively be listening for the prey, whereas if you were just doing something else like eating, your hearing would just be alerted to danger type sounds and you may not be expending calories on our “post processing/noise reduction.”

When I wear a loud vintage mechanical watch, there are times I can hear the loud ticking of the watch with my wrist nowhere near my ear and there are times where even in a quiet room, I don’t notice it at all.

Reactions: GDK

Haskil

Forum Donor
Thank you for your kind answer. Fact is that playing the same CDs from a CD transport (via coax) or from my Mac (via USB) to the same DAC sounds exactly the same. Moreover there is absolutely no evidence that bits arriving from a computer are "more noisy" than bits from a streamer, which is also a computer, by the way. My setup sound good to me and I like a lot the computer ability to get any source of music on the net, see as an example Radio Garden. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
It's true !

The best music player and streamer available today is a computer with Roon, Audirvana, JRiver, Foobar or Itunes connected via USB, UPnP, RAAT or Chromecast audio (with Roon: fabulous) to a DAC : a perpetually upgradable computer, capable of room correction, with a great interface consisting of a mouse and a keyboard !!! My CD player is gathering dust... When I buy a CD, I ripp it...

Not to mention that Audirvana, Roon, Itunes have excellent applications for mobile phones or tablets...

No hifi streamer does better in terms of practicality and quality whatever its price... than a computer with good softwares...

Mark84

It is really interesting to see the results of this test. It confirms for me that measurements are really only one part of testing an audio device and not the be all end all. Listening and living with a device on a daily basis is important too. I lived with an atom for over a year and I can safely say that I never listened to as much music since getting into the hobby 20 years ago as I did with the Atom. Naim have openly said that they make improvements to the sound of products with listening tests and when they go back and test on the bench, they don’t measure as well. They are willing to sacrifice some measured performance for audible improvement and I am happy with that. Clearly there is more to listening enjoyment than perfect measured performance. I am no expert and don’t claim to be, but if you were thinking about purchasing an atom and were put off by this review, please make sure you have a listen for yourself. Another thing to consider is the fact that Naim are still servicing their products that were made 30+ years ago. As for the price, yes it’s expensive, but if you want a product to be reliable, sound good, look good, have long term service life and have all the functionality you need then you might have to pay for it. The only reason I moved the atom on was to upgrade. I finally ended up with a Nova. I absolutely couldn’t care less how it measures because it sounds amazing and I can’t stop playing music on it. And to me, that’s what it’s all about.

Garrincha

It is really interesting to see the results of this test. It confirms for me that measurements are really only one part of testing an audio device and not the be all end all. Listening and living with a device on a daily basis is important too. I lived with an atom for over a year and I can safely say that I never listened to as much music since getting into the hobby 20 years ago as I did with the Atom. Naim have openly said that they make improvements to the sound of products with listening tests and when they go back and test on the bench, they don’t measure as well. They are willing to sacrifice some measured performance for audible improvement and I am happy with that. Clearly there is more to listening enjoyment than perfect measured performance. I am no expert and don’t claim to be, but if you were thinking about purchasing an atom and were put off by this review, please make sure you have a listen for yourself. Another thing to consider is the fact that Naim are still servicing their products that were made 30+ years ago. As for the price, yes it’s expensive, but if you want a product to be reliable, sound good, look good, have long term service life and have all the functionality you need then you might have to pay for it. The only reason I moved the atom on was to upgrade. I finally ended up with a Nova. I absolutely couldn’t care less how it measures because it sounds amazing and I can’t stop playing music on it. And to me, that’s what it’s all about.
Another new member who took the effort to create an account just to defend this overpriced device. This is so predictable and sad. You spend a lot of money on a very mediocre device which pretends to be high end, yet isn't. Accept it, live with it. Measurements don't show it blabla. Yes, in Naim gear are some miracles happening which nobody can reveal, other then Chord and Naim owners, using Nordost cables.

Oh, so you upgraded to the Naim Nova, which is even more expensive and sounds even better? How does it do it, adding still more distortion?

Mark84

There’s no need to be rude. I was just giving my opinion. I am not really a new member, I joined a while ago to discuss DIY speakers in another thread. Actually I only joined 1 month after yourself, not that that matters though. I think it’s quite sad that people such as yourself are so easily rude to others behind the guise of your online avatar. I would hope you would be more polite face to face. I wonder why you struggle to let others have an opinion without making an attack.

Top Bottom