• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 68.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 93 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%

• Total voters

Haskil

Forum Donor
https://www.octavio.fr/amp/

All in one with Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, AppleMusic, tunelm and co... multiroom, UPnP, Airplay2, Blutooth, 24/192 (and a parametric correction is annouced)... I wrote to this french factory for Audio Science...

For 700 euros...

And also a simple Streamer

For 200 euros.

And for production origin

Last edited:

DWI

https://www.octavio.fr/amp/

All in one with Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, AppleMusic, tunelm and co... multiroom, UPnP, Airplay2, Blutooth, 24/192 (and a parametric correction is annouced)... I wrote to this french factory for Audio Science...

For 700 euros...

And also a simple Streamer

For 200 euros.

And for production origin
Using a module from the same supplier, Linkplay, here's one for $200. Very underpowered.

None of them have Roon or voice control, and mine with Roon and voice, a seriously good speaker, Amazon HD, lighting and 75w amplifier for £375 is still looking good.

The difference is that Octavio is a bunch of young guys putting together a pretty unit with OEM components and software, which increases costs. You can make the unit cheaper and better with all bespoke engineering, but it is hugely more complex and expensive.

davidminard

Audio Company
Hello,

I am the co-founder of Octavio and I would like to give you a feedback on your comment. If this one disturbs, do not hesitate to let me know of course!

The price justification is also explained by the differences in the integrated audio chip (amp and DAC) and by an in-house assembly, support and software engineering (in France), which is sometimes much more expensive than in some countries.
The software engineering allows us to have an ergonomic and more complete control application in terms of functionality: https://www.octavio.fr/en/virtuose/

This brings us more flexibility in the future and a more reactive support to feature requests (lyrics integration, radio and podcast support...) and bug resolutions reported by our users. The initial request of our customers was mainly about the rather criticized ergonomics of the Linkplay application, to which we wish to propose an alternative.

You can also test the application to have an overview without even having an Octavio device

DWI

Hello,

I am the co-founder of Octavio and I would like to give you a feedback on your comment. If this one disturbs, do not hesitate to let me know of course!

The price justification is also explained by the differences in the integrated audio chip (amp and DAC) and by an in-house assembly, support and software engineering (in France), which is sometimes much more expensive than in some countries.
The software engineering allows us to have an ergonomic and more complete control application in terms of functionality: https://www.octavio.fr/en/virtuose/

This brings us more flexibility in the future and a more reactive support to feature requests (lyrics integration, radio and podcast support...) and bug resolutions reported by our users. The initial request of our customers was mainly about the rather criticized ergonomics of the Linkplay application, to which we wish to propose an alternative.

You can also test the application to have an overview without even having an Octavio device
Many thanks or clarifying and that you are not using the Linkplay application. Local fabrication, by hand, and presumably in relatively low quantities, does add cost, but it is great to see a product made in the local market. There are many good audio products made in France, I own a few!

Bespoke hardware like the product I have, and a completely bespoke app, costs millions of £ in hardware and software development. Very few people can get that type of money.

davidminard

Audio Company
With pleasure!
Indeed, a little more craftsmanship sometimes leads to increased durability, which we are committed to.

Indeed, software development is very expensive... But it is in my opinion what Hi-Fi will turn to in the next years.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Please can you stay around and not disappear if it's possible, without getting into trouble plugging your products and understanding you have many other things to do in life? :)

I barely stream, I'm terrified of some of the options with software and costs and have only just started using a Chromecast Audio more regularly (and yes, I have an iffy wireless system with oldish Android phones as 'source,' although my Chromebook 'streams' perfectly...). Currently, no interest in paying for streaming services, but have files stored locally for example.

I'm sure there are other old bods like me on a very tight budget who'd be interested in exploring a little your streamer (especially if it can be cast to for example? - do PLEASE excuse my ignorance here :oops:). ANYTHING to open up old sound systems without having to replace it all...

Please forgive the thread diversion. I'm hoping there are other threads or one could be created perhaps? Gawd I'm a numpoty where this is concerned although good friends way down the path have tried to help (with much complexity and DIY aspects I feel).

davidminard

Audio Company
Please can you stay around and not disappear if it's possible, without getting into trouble plugging your products and understanding you have many other things to do in life? :)

I barely stream, I'm terrified of some of the options with software and costs and have only just started using a Chromecast Audio more regularly (and yes, I have an iffy wireless system with oldish Android phones as 'source,' although my Chromebook 'streams' perfectly...). Currently, no interest in paying for streaming services, but have files stored locally for example.

I'm sure there are other old bods like me on a very tight budget who'd be interested in exploring a little your streamer (especially if it can be cast to for example? - do PLEASE excuse my ignorance here :oops:). ANYTHING to open up old sound systems without having to replace it all...

Please forgive the thread diversion. I'm hoping there are other threads or one could be created perhaps? Gawd I'm a numpoty where this is concerned although good friends way down the path have tried to help (with much complexity and DIY aspects I feel).
I regularly visit the forum, don't worry!
And it's always a pleasure to be in contact with enthusiasts, I just limit myself sometimes to avoid that my advices seem like advertising in disguise, which is not at all the goal. But given my position, I can completely understand that it could be interpreted as such.

But it is possible with our audio streamer (or others) to play tracks stored locally on your audio system. The streamer can detect your entire library in the application and play it without audio loss on your audio system.

Feel free to come back to me if you need more information, I don't want to divert the focus of the initial post to our brand, this was not the purpose of my message

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, not sure where it's going though, the point is you can't put an antenna inside an enclosure if there is no non metallic area to allow transmission, there are some patents from phone manufacturers that had to invent technologies in order to either use the metal parts of the phone as part of the antenna system or had to use antenna designs that are innovative to a point that they had to advance the state of science in RF to make their antenna work, and some other just use plastic. Also keep in mind that when you purchase a chip based antenna accompanied by a reference design or any chip based solution, part of the cost of the chip is for licensing. The maker of the chip has the patent, you don't need to have one. Patents in Canada and in the us last 20 years.

But how is it related with my comment exactly? What I said is that putting an antenna in a plastic box is not patent worthy because that it's been known to work for almost a century, you don't invent anything, you don't get a patent, sorry if I was not clear I guess?
We had been miss communicating, that’s all. Short sentence posts are never a good way to communicate.

PeteL

Major Contributor
With pleasure!
Indeed, a little more craftsmanship sometimes leads to increased durability, which we are committed to.

Indeed, software development is very expensive... But it is in my opinion what Hi-Fi will turn to in the next years.
Quite frankly I am quite impressed at how low you have been able to price those products.

MacCali

Major Contributor
What plug-and-play Roon Ready streamer costs $250? In the UK, a Bluesound Node 2i (£550), Topping D90SE (£900) and LA90 amplifier (£800) costs more (£2250) than the Naim Uniti Atom (£2000) and you get a load of boxes and wires and no voice control.

The main indicator of poor resolution is the multi tone test and at -1db FS it is much better, giving 16 bits resolution. The Chinese site gave that measurement, ASR did not. I used the previous version for years and was very happy with it.

My Auralic Aries Mini + Quad 909 system cost £900, the Mini was new and the 909 factory recapped and refurbished like new, 140w power. That’s value.
Honestly not sure why you would buy a d90se or any of those things, that’s driving your budget way up and if you are simply trying to get away with products that provide similar performance you can probably get a 100 dollar DAC which has better performance and I guess if you want the topping amp you’re just rolling around 1250.

The items you’re suggesting actually make it seem contrary to the unity, as they are providing superior performance.

The streamer is a Pi2AES. It’s DIY but kills most high end streamers and backed by measurements.

If you’re not worried about roon you can get that 100 dollar streamer and use digital out and get phenomenal performance, which seems to now put you at a 1000 invested.

I guess you are pointing out that different variables show different performance on the unit and that’s acceptable. I just think you can probably get a roon streamer and similar measurements for 600 usd honestly. Now the the product in question is falling apart as some minor setup and lack of being lazy will put a substantial chunk of change in your pocket

Also the prices you mentioned seem cheaper as used or open box units are going for ~3000 usd

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Naim to drive 63's? WHAT??????

Bloody six-months-experience amateurs on forums offering 'advice' to others..... We tried Naim and 63's at the time (after Quad had relaxed the crowbar protection) and the amp promptly shut down, something I'd never had a Naim do with other speakers like 3 ohm Linns.. Th elate issue Quad 44 (dark grey+RCA cosmetic) and 405-2 was far better anyway and it didn't break down into the 63's...

P.S. Not sure if anyone's said this, but all the external power supplies and so on wasn't just for hum isolation, but a great means of adding a several hundred quid 'upgrade' which the faithful back then were delighted to do as a better sound was promised. The fact that various electronics design chaps subsequently told me the best place for a regulator in the supply was next to the circuit it's regulating, doesn't seem to matter with this brand overmuch (maybe their digital stuff it slightly differently). Doesn't stop their often now elderly fans buying expensively into this philosophy and many still do I gather.
I always thought, if an external PS makes such an audible difference, the internal PS must be pretty poor.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
In the 13 years I've mostly listened to music using streaming, I've only used a standalone DAC for about 3 years. I've never used a regular laptop/computer as a source/controller.

I've used streamer/DACs like the Auralic Aries Mini or all-in-one products. This is how Auralic sees hifi, and it is extremely popular.
I agree, and the Aries Mini is at least reasonably priced compared with many. If you don't mind a bit of DIY, an RPi-based streamer plus DAC can do the same job for far less. There are even some nice cases for the RPi these days.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I always thought, if an external PS makes such an audible difference, the internal PS must be pretty poor.
Internal power supplies can have electromagnetic fields induce distortion into the main circuitry whatever that is. It's not that the power supply is bad it's just that sometimes the layout of the internals does not allow for isolation of the power supply from the rest of the electronics. It is possible to make a low emission power supply and physically align it so that it does not induce distortion into the peripheral electronics.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

You can build your own using a Raspberry Pi, but the Octavio looks like a great solution if you want something ready-to-use for sensible money. Another you might want to look at is the Volumio Primo, although it costs more <https://volumio.com/en/product/volumio-primo/>.

I'd also like to discuss this further in another thread.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I'm not in the target market for the product but it's interesting to see measurements, as always. People most likely buy them based on integration, UX/UI, aesthetics and haptics which are all rather good. For likely listening habits and speaker choices of the target demographic, the measured performance will have no negative audible consequences.

Top Bottom