• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 68.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 93 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%

• Total voters

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they designed it this way to justify an expensive power supply filter.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is all very well except it's quite apparent that noone here has listened to any actual music on this system. In that capacity, it wipes the floor with everything of a comparable price. And I've done the comparison for myself.
You might need to unpack this a bit. The Atom connected to what speakers/ headphones?

CapMan

Major Contributor
As somebody who owned a (at that time) top of the range Naim stack my personal experience is that it was (subjectively) no better sounding than my new AVR in my room and with a hell of a lot less functionality.

Naim sells on strong branding, pricing which helps people believe they are getting something special and the cult of ownership (in my experience)

DSJR

Major Contributor
This is all very well except it's quite apparent that noone here has listened to any actual music on this system. In that capacity, it wipes the floor with everything of a comparable price. And I've done the comparison for myself.
I've listened to it into speakers (could have been ATC 11's but it was a while ago). It 'sounds' perfectly OK and the feel of that large rotating disc on top is luxury by UK built standards.

UK price of the Uniti Atom HDMI as of Feb 2024 is £2299

DSJR

Major Contributor
Maybe they designed it this way to justify an expensive power supply filter.
Power supply filters were a huge NONO as regards Naim and their dealers. Adding an extra power supply for their preamp sections used to be a nifty 'upgrade' for the faithful, but I don't think it's an option for this one...

CapMan

Major Contributor
Power supply filters were a huge NONO as regards Naim and their dealers. Adding an extra power supply for their preamp sections used to be a nifty 'upgrade' for the faithful, but I don't think it's an option for this one...
I used to have 6 boxes just to play a CD. Looking back I feel like an idiot !

DSJR

Major Contributor
I used to have 6 boxes just to play a CD. Looking back I feel like an idiot !
Naim? Don't worry, we all did back then it and it was/is the marketing nature of their old circuits that needed huge low impedance supplies to make them 'go.'

These days and despite my past, it's the music that matters really and the gear is increasingly just a tool to help reproduce it. As long as said 'tool' doesn't suffer glitches or become uselessly out of date and all but un-serviceable in five or so years' time...

MacCali

Major Contributor
I’m sure you might be gone, appreciate you sharing. I just wanted to chime in that I personally have heard this unit probably 4-5 times, if not more.

I will say the flaws are probably not audible, but without a doubt I can say that it sounds nothing like $75 dongle I bought which was recommended by Amir.

I’ve made numerous points above. If money grows on trees for you feel free to spend it on a unit like this. These reviews are not for you, it’s clearly for potential buyers and if you believe it’s alright for someone to spend their hard earned money on this I think you don’t like the people that surround you. Since in my opinion that’s clearly horrible advice.

DLegendary0ne

I bought the Uniti Atom Headphone Edition and have been happy with it until I read this review (I know this isn't the headphone edition review). My whole experience with this was subjective. I listened to this by chance when auditioning the HE1000SE and I was blown away by it coming from the older Monoprice THX dac/amp and mojo 2. This was before I knew about ASR.

I'm a bit lost now, as I still don't understand what makes a good amp or dac other than what I hear subjectively, so I rely on reviews. To add to that, it's very difficult to test out equipment on this hobby before buying it.

So I guess my question is for those who know better than me, can you actually hear the difference in dac/amps that measure better? If so, what would be the best dac or amp to get at this price?

JazzPipo

I have the regular atom and still like it although it measurements aren’t great. I did a lot of comparing and the differences are small. Somehow it is custum hetere to burn stuff to the ground if measuremts aren’t excellent. The atom looks the par and I still find the large volume knob very classy.
Probably the HE will measure a bit better sinds there isn’t a power amp cramped into. If you like it keep it I would say

Theodore8

Forum Donor
I bought the Uniti Atom [...] get at this price?
My takeaway of the ASR review is not that you should be unhappy with your purchase. There are many reasons that can make you quite happy with it, such as the great looks, the "single box" format, or the user interface.

The main message of ASR, in my mind, is that for this budget, you could have been better off measurements-wise with spending $1,500 on a Hypex or Purifi amp, $200 on a DAC (e.g., SMSL D-6s), and redirect the balance to speakers. But this doesn't mean you would be happier.

Burki

You should also (I'm using also a Naim Uniti Atom HE) remember, that the measurements are from the Naim Uniti Atom and not the HE version, which has not the same design (other pre amp, no speaker amp, headphone amp) and will used primarly as headphone amp/streamer/preAmp.
For me the Naim (using also a lot other streamers) has one of best/stabil firmware and also a good (not the best) headphone amp integrated.

I bought the Uniti Atom Headphone Edition and have been happy with it until I read this review (I know this isn't the headphone edition review). My whole experience with this was subjective. I listened to this by chance when auditioning the HE1000SE and I was blown away by it coming from the older Monoprice THX dac/amp and mojo 2. This was before I knew about ASR.

I'm a bit lost now, as I still don't understand what makes a good amp or dac other than what I hear subjectively, so I rely on reviews. To add to that, it's very difficult to test out equipment on this hobby before buying it.

So I guess my question is for those who know better than me, can you actually hear the difference in dac/amps that measure better? If so, what would be the best dac or amp to get at this price?
I own both the Atom HE and the ‘regular’ Atom, as well as ASR reviewed Benchmark components, Topping components, and EverSolo, all of which have excellent test results. I doubt if you could find anyone with capable enough hearing to be able to reliably distinguish between these systems or components in normal use. So if your Atom is doing what you want, then sit back and enjoy the music!

MacCali

Major Contributor

Honestly man it works by thresholds. I love objective analysis of products, but the thing is once you understand high fidelity audio it’s difficult to go back.

You are absolutely not missing a whole lot, but there’s clearly a difference. When you’re there you know it. Especially when things are not changing too much, in your accompanying equipment.

The only thing I always say is the difference between a super clean system with your flavor of sound/synergy and one that measures horribly is not as bad as one would imagine.

I say this because I have 4 stereo systems in my home. The one in the kitchen is by far the worst in every aspect. But when it comes to my subjective take and actually sitting down and tuning in even with the bad performance it’s not god awful. No where near my reference system, which measures impeccable.

Some may tell me well how are you so sure, well my entire home is connected by streamers. I can sit in my reference room and listen to a track and then walk into my kitchen and switch to that system if it’s powered on and go back and forth.

****My only gripe with this product is it’s far too expensive for the performance. For 50% off plus the all in one functionality I would give it a pass. If you paid full price there’s no justification for that. If you scroll up I’ve got detailed responses on this paragraphs topic.***

I consistently say you must have a baseline to be truly objective and to comprehend objectivity and how extreme you should be about the matter. I’m not asking people to go buy a -50 db dac and -35 db amp and some cheap speakers. But that’s the only way to comprehend what the “worst” sounds like for yourself.

With this in mind, the unfortunate truth is this how audio companies for decades have been selling mid grade and poorly implemented products for super high prices because noticing the difference is far more difficult when you move up the scale. IE: going from -70 db to a system that’s -110. Hegel is a great example of this fraudulent activity. They merely sell you what you enjoy, like a musical presentation that’s relaxed but at the price there has to be some level of competence otherwise the product must be far cheaper or they’re scamming

Top Bottom