• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 vs Devialet Expert

egarner

Well, it's hard to know if I am "hearing reality" given all the snake oil I have drank over the years.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks @egarner for sending this to Amir. So, it sounds like the user experience is better with the NAD than MiniDSP. That’s no big surprise, but do you find it to be a big difference in day to day use? Just during setup and after that they’re both about the same?
I’m serious about getting either the MiniDSP SHD or NAD M33 and trying to figure out if the extra money is worth it. I’m also thinking about longevity: if something fails in an all-in-one, the whole thing might be useless. Separates might add some flexibility, but the NAD is so convenient…luckily I’m in no rush (since I can’t make up my mind).

egarner

Yes, the UI/UX on the NAd is way better - the screen beats a LCD with just text, and a ****** knob interface.

My gripes with the SHD (although the sound is awesome, matching amirs measurements)
1. No power button, or remote access to power. Just a switch on back.
2. Limited access to the functions over the network (like changing dirac settings and sources - just IR). Voume and track (the streamer settings are accessible)
3. Super limited inputs, 1 coax, 1 Toslink. no HDMI.
4. takes 4 sec to switch between dirac settings.
5. got to connect computer to calibrate dirac, not over the network.
6. wont take the Dirac bass correction (whenever that rolls out)

as you can tell, I love dirac, makes a huge difference.

egarner

But, yes, the sound is amazing. If you don't care about lack of inputs or network connectivity (or being able to easily turn it off), it's a steal for 1000 and the sound is great. (you can connect 2 subs to it, and run Dirac live on those too)

And if you are interested, I might be selling the SHD / m22v2 (giving it one last AB test once I get it back from amir).

And part of why I am moving away from separates is to stop myself from the "upgrade cycle" - I've been through several different NAD / mindsp preamps, amplifiers, speakers, and room correction setups in just 5 years. If I keep the M33, there is little to iteratively upgrade.
I was waiting for the M32 would get dirac, but... yeah, not gonna happen

Last edited:

dougi

I can't believe they didn't consider the HT Bypass input. I might still try one out in my open concept living room/kitchen/dining room "lifestyle" 2 channel system that I'm building. I got rid of my Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 and the M33 seems to offer similar functionality & (hopefully better) performance at a better price. The only other thing that seems to be lacking in the M33 compared to the TDAI-3400 is the incredible flexibility offered by the the digital crossover in the Lyngdorf. Can you adjust subwoofer crossover frequency and slope in the M33? It was almost infinitely variable in the TDAI-3400.
I'm with you! No the M33 only has a filtered sub output, limited to 80 Hz. I really wish Lyngdorf would release an updated DPA-1 with the same flexiblity as the digital part of the TDAIs. There is a Steinway 2 channel processor but you are stuck with proprietary digital interfaces. :(.

egarner

I'm with you! No the M33 only has a filtered sub output, limited to 80 Hz. I really wish Lyngdorf would release an updated DPA-1 with the same flexiblity as the digital part of the TDAIs. There is a Steinway 2 channel processor but you are stuck with proprietary digital interfaces. :(.

that remind me of one gripe I have about the M33 - there is crossover cutoff settings for the sub, but no option for "full range" speakers for my T3s.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Yes, the UI/UX on the NAd is way better - the screen beats a LCD with just text, and a ****** knob interface.

My gripes with the SHD (although the sound is awesome, matching amirs measurements)
1. No power button, or remote access to power. Just a switch on back.
2. Limited access to the functions over the network (like changing dirac settings and sources - just IR). Voume and track (the streamer settings are accessible)
3. Super limited inputs, 1 coax, 1 Toslink. no HDMI.
4. takes 4 sec to switch between dirac settings.
5. got to connect computer to calibrate dirac, not over the network.
6. wont take the Dirac bass correction (whenever that rolls out)

as you can tell, I love dirac, makes a huge difference.
I really appreciate the feedback. You’ve been very helpful.

Just trying to make the most fair comparison possible for my own purposes…
1. The new MiniDSP remote has a button to put it in standby https://www.minidsp.com/products/accessories/ir-remote
2. That’s annoying
3. This is actually enough for me, but just barely
4. Also annoying
5. Ditto, and probably the thing I’m most worried about—not just calibrating DIRAC, but also everything else like initial setup and other tweaks
6. Probably not a deal breaker for me.

Overall, I’m willing to put up with the annoyances if the MiniDSP is substantially better in other ways (like cost). I’m looking at a MiniDSP SHD + Purifi amp + streamer for something like $3500. If the NAD is only available for full retail then it’s an easy choice, but if I can get a discount on the M33 it becomes harder.

myatfrak

that remind me of one gripe I have about the M33 - there is crossover cutoff settings for the sub, but no option for "full range" speakers for my T3s.

You can disable the subwoofers, and you would get a full range output. Am I missing something?

Top Bottom