• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My March Sointuva Speakers

carbidetooth

They are characteristic of Sheok wood in Western Australia. Just google it. I've seen furniture made with this wood and it has similar black markings. It is part of the natural beauty of Sheok.
Since you're quoting me and pointing out what you see as an error, I did as you suggested and Googled it. Sheoak (not Sheok) does indeed exhibit a lot of character, both in color variation and grain separation that has the look of cracks. Your assertion that the tree somehow fills these inclusions with something resembling black epoxy I find implausible at best. It appears that the users of this wood often fill the voids with a variety of things to enhance the look. It doesn't diminish the wood in any way, just embraces its characteristics in a really visible way. And FYI, I do recognize the difference between solid wood and veneer (not vaneer). To assume that somehow solid timber is superior is folly. Many a fine piece of furniture is veneered. I'll include some photos to illustrate my point.

Attachments

• Sheoak 1.jpg
    Sheoak 1.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Sheoak 2.jpg
    Sheoak 2.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Sheoak 3.jpg
    Sheoak 3.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Sheoak 4.jpg
    Sheoak 4.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 90

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yeah, I'm laughing at some of the posters here that are so used to fake printed wood and wood vaneer that they don't know what a natural wood product looks like. Those are definitely not cracks.

I have seen the resin/epoxy poured into the cracks of Sheoak, Jarrah, Blackbutt, Marri, etc.
And I have seen it done at the place that the makes the boxes… on the actual boxes.

I am assuming they are using West Systems 105, and a black oxide powder.
Mostly I assume that because the shop next door sells West Systems and the black oxide powder, and they told me to go there for “the crack filling stuff”.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Veneer is natural wood, just a thin layer of it. Furniture often uses it because it provides the natural wood surface for the aesthetic people want while using plywood or some other building material that is stronger and more resistant to cracking and warping than most natural woods.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Veneer is natural wood, just a thin layer of it. Furniture often uses it because it provides the natural wood surface for the aesthetic people want while using plywood or some other building material that is stronger and more resistant to cracking and warping than most natural woods.

Veneer is ok in civilised temperate climes, but only a short-term proposition when things get tropical.

*as they increasingly are round here, thanks to aforementioned civilisation

samysound

Veneer is ok in civilised temperate climes, but only a short-term proposition when things get tropical.

*as they increasingly are round here, thanks to aforementioned civilisation
I would think plywood or veneer on plywood is more stable than monlithic wood. MDF would be the worst unless it is fully sealed

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
MDF would be the worst unless it is fully sealed

Actually not. HMR MDF or HMR HDF would outperform most types of ply except epoxy penetrated marine and perhaps treated form ply.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I would think plywood or veneer on plywood is more stable than monlithic wood. MDF would be the worst unless it is fully sealed

Oh yes, I mentioned earlier that using solid wood (especially hardwood spp.) for a speaker is tricky. I was just thinking of veneer finish in cosmetic terms. Everything European (and not necessarily cheap) veneered thing that I’ve bought over the years has failed eventually (usually discolouration starting from the edges, if not de-lamination).

Actually not. HMR MDF or HMR HDF would outperform most types of ply except epoxy penetrated marine and perhaps treated form ply.

HDF etc should be obligatory. Regular MDF is hopeless. I like using formply, I’ve found it quite durable. I haven’t used marine but I’d expect similar. No idea about birch ply durability-wise.

Last edited:

samysound

Oh yes, I mentioned earlier that using solid wood (especially hardwood spp.) for a speaker is tricky. I was just thinking of veneer finish in cosmetic terms. Everything European (and not necessarily cheap) veneered thing that I’ve bought over the years has failed eventually (usually discolouration starting from the edges, if not de-lamination).

HDF etc should be obligatory. Regular MDF is hopeless. I like using formply, I’ve found it quite durable. I haven’t used marine but I’d expect similar. No idea about birch ply durability-wise.
ah I see. I have a pair of the Sointuvas with baltic birch cabinets with no separate/additional veneer. I kind of like the exposed ply edges at the joint and they seem pretty ribust/stable

1677770558141.png

badspeakerdesigner

I think the filled crack looks nice, I've seen a few sointuvas with them and it never bothered me, looks neat.

I think the waveguide placement in it's hole could be more centered but were talking like increments of a mm or less so who cares.

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi there, so the speaker have been using for like a year or so, any owners have any sort of wood movement and related issues to share about? or it's just fine?

Top Bottom