• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This! I need THIS!

If only something like this could learn IR codes....

ETA: Hmm, the (very sparse) spec sheet on this remote says it uses RF Protocol: Zigbee

I know my RTI universal remote system, which I use to control a bunch of AV gear, works with RF and Zigbee. I wonder what the implications are for learning IR commands, converting them to RF for use with this remote. Depends on the design of the remote I presume.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It seems like the sort of thing RTI's control processors ought to be able to handle, so long as Steinway have stuck with standard zigbee action messages. You'll probably have to ask them though - I don't see any technical documentation from either of them. It looks like the sort of thing RTI would leave to an installer rather than the end user, and I'd guess something similar happens at Steinway's end of the market.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems like the sort of thing RTI's control processors ought to be able to handle, so long as Steinway have stuck with standard zigbee action messages. You'll probably have to ask them though - I don't see any technical documentation from either of them. It looks like the sort of thing RTI would leave to an installer rather than the end user, and I'd guess something similar happens at Steinway's end of the market.

Steinway got back to me. They don't sell this to punters like me. Only as part of an expensive system. Which is what I figured.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like I've found a solution!

I don't know that it will be something others would spring for here, as it will be expensive. But it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for so I'll describe the scenario.

My friend, an audio writer for Soundstage, was in Poland covering the recent audio show in Warsaw. In one room he spotted an interesting looking remote control with a volume knob. He remembered we had just talked about how I was looking for such a remote, he snapped a photo with the contact info and sent it to me.

Here's the photo:

CUSTOM VOLUME KNOB 1 copy.jpg

They are a Polish company. The remote is currently called the OmniArc.

I contacted Adams Custom Audio via email and asked about the remote. It's an IR remote specially made to use with their custom amplifiers.
However, being a custom place, they are amenable to making one for me that would work with my preamps! Yay!

Given the only control for sending commands is the volume knob the programming options are of course limited compared to a typical universal remote. But this is fine with me because it will do enough for my purposes. I always make things hard on myself by making things complicated - in this instance I want to be able to operate EITHER my Benchmark preamp or my Conrad Johnson preamp at whim with such a remote. Fortunately Adams can accommodate this in the programming.

So the programming will work like this:

If I'm listening using the Benchmark preamp, the volume knob on this custom remote will of course control volume via IR commands by turning the knob. A press of the knob will mute (though I will likely assign this to the -20dB function on the Benchmark, which I really like better than full mute).
If I press down on the knob and turn to the right it will send a command to cycle forward through the Benchmark inputs (DAC, Phono, Aux where I'm running my CJ through..). Press/hold turn left will cycle inputs the other way.

If I press and hold for, say, 5 seconds, it will load the commands for the CJ preamp, and now I'll be operating my CJ preamp. So turning knob for volume, pressing knob once for mute, press/hold turn right for phono input (discrete command), press/hold turn left for digital input (discrete command).

With some more imagination other controls can be incorporated. But the commands above are already more than I thought I'd get out of such a device! So I'm already thrilled with the idea.

Yes this will be expensive! But I interact with my system almost every day, and something like this will be worth it to me.

Another photo, in zebra wood. (I will likely order it with a black knob rather than silver):

OmniRemote_Zebrano_Oiled.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Looks good, what’s the estimated cost?

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks good, what’s the estimated cost?

Get ready...

....750 Euros for the standard remote. Plus some extra for custom programming it specifically for my devices.

(I figure I can pull my kid out of university and send him to a local trade college so I can afford it. Education is overrated anyway...)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Ah ok, if it was €75 then I’d have one to control my cxnv2 as I hate the remote with its multitude of pointless functions but at that price I’ll pass

Mehdiem

It looks like I've found a solution!

I don't know that it will be something others would spring for here, as it will be expensive. But it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for so I'll describe the scenario.

My friend, an audio writer for Soundstage, was in Poland covering the recent audio show in Warsaw. In one room he spotted an interesting looking remote control with a volume knob. He remembered we had just talked about how I was looking for such a remote, he snapped a photo with the contact info and sent it to me.

Here's the photo:

View attachment 240777

They are a Polish company. The remote is currently called the OmniArc.

I contacted Adams Custom Audio via email and asked about the remote. It's an IR remote specially made to use with their custom amplifiers.
However, being a custom place, they are amenable to making one for me that would work with my preamps! Yay!

Given the only control for sending commands is the volume knob the programming options are of course limited compared to a typical universal remote. But this is fine with me because it will do enough for my purposes. I always make things hard on myself by making things complicated - in this instance I want to be able to operate EITHER my Benchmark preamp or my Conrad Johnson preamp at whim with such a remote. Fortunately Adams can accommodate this in the programming.

So the programming will work like this:

If I'm listening using the Benchmark preamp, the volume knob on this custom remote will of course control volume via IR commands by turning the knob. A press of the knob will mute (though I will likely assign this to the -20dB function on the Benchmark, which I really like better than full mute).
If I press down on the knob and turn to the right it will send a command to cycle forward through the Benchmark inputs (DAC, Phono, Aux where I'm running my CJ through..). Press/hold turn left will cycle inputs the other way.

If I press and hold for, say, 5 seconds, it will load the commands for the CJ preamp, and now I'll be operating my CJ preamp. So turning knob for volume, pressing knob once for mute, press/hold turn right for phono input (discrete command), press/hold turn left for digital input (discrete command).

With some more imagination other controls can be incorporated. But the commands above are already more than I thought I'd get out of such a device! So I'm already thrilled with the idea.

Yes this will be expensive! But I interact with my system almost every day, and something like this will be worth it to me.

Another photo, in zebra wood. (I will likely order it with a black knob rather than silver):

View attachment 240784
Interesting. I am very interested. I want it to control my RME DAC which is my pre-amp. Do you know how would they capture the remote signals? I was hoping there is a way that I could program it myself so I won’t be dependant on them in future if I want to change my preamp.
Also, do you know if there is any alternative to the wood part? A minimal knob only would suffice for me, specially if comes cheaper (as I would imagine a significant part of the cost could be for the wood itself?

Reactions: MCH
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. I am very interested. I want it to control my RME DAC which is my pre-amp. Do you know how would they capture the remote signals? I was hoping there is a way that I could program it myself so I won’t be dependant on them in future if I want to change my preamp.
Also, do you know if there is any alternative to the wood part? A minimal knob only would suffice for me, specially if comes cheaper (as I would imagine a significant part of the cost could be for the wood itself?

You could contact them via the email info on the card in the first photo.

I've been back and forth a number of times over the past several days. The gentleman is very helpful and responsive, and VERY much in to trying to satisfy my requirements, with various suggestions. I get a good feeling from the company thus far.

I asked about something programmable on my side and it was a possibility, but for whatever reason it was actually going to be a more expensive option. They said it would be less expensive for them to just do the programming with the existing set up. I will be able to send them command codes. Benchmark has theirs available on their website. Since the CJ commands are already in my universal remote, my custom installer should be able to give them to me to send to Adams.
As a last resort they said I could send my remotes and they'd learn the commands from those. But I don't think that will be necessary.

I don't know about dropping the wood, but I suspect it would be possible, just given the flexibility they've shown so far. I talked about adding a few more buttons to the remote, but we figured out a way to get all the commands via the existing volume knob.

supercargo

It looks like I’m a bit late to this thread, but I see a lot of arduino / raspberry pi suggestions thrown around. What I didn’t see anyone mention is NodeRed. It is a Swiss Army knife of “I want to connect this to that” and I was able to use it to create a very nice integration between my MiniDSP SHD and Sonos. If someone starts playback on the Sonos, the SHD switches to the appropriate input and volume control between the two devices is kept in sync. It was much easier to setup (and debug!) than hacking together some scripts.

I was just considering what it would take to move to a three-way sync to include a physical control surface. Thanks to all for posting hardware suggestions!

As an aside, I’ve been wondering if there is a market for a high end / semi custom controls company. Focus would be entirely on the physical user interface and then integrate with the various control systems, smart home gadgets, and the like. Think haptic knobs, flying faders, wood, metal, glass materials with custom engraving.

So much “smart home” stuff means an array of plastic buttons or cheap touch screens (that don’t match other vendors plastic buttons) and annoying apps. Or strapping a iPad to the wall.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As an aside, I’ve been wondering if there is a market for a high end / semi custom controls company. Focus would be entirely on the physical user interface and then integrate with the various control systems, smart home gadgets, and the like. Think haptic knobs, flying faders, wood, metal, glass materials with custom engraving.

So much “smart home” stuff means an array of plastic buttons or cheap touch screens (that don’t match other vendors plastic buttons) and annoying apps. Or strapping a iPad to the wall.

Agreed!

For instance, car touch-screen control systems are much disparaged. Tactile controls are often not only a nicer feel, but are often a better solution.

MCH

Major Contributor
It looks like I’m a bit late to this thread, but I see a lot of arduino / raspberry pi suggestions thrown around. What I didn’t see anyone mention is NodeRed. It is a Swiss Army knife of “I want to connect this to that” and I was able to use it to create a very nice integration between my MiniDSP SHD and Sonos. If someone starts playback on the Sonos, the SHD switches to the appropriate input and volume control between the two devices is kept in sync. It was much easier to setup (and debug!) than hacking together some scripts.

I was just considering what it would take to move to a three-way sync to include a physical control surface. Thanks to all for posting hardware suggestions!

This looks very interesting.... Do you think it would be possible to do something like this guy do with the symfonisk -> Spotify but instead of Spotify, to a streamer in a raspberry pi? Or even better, a surface dial (regular bluetooth) instead of the symfonisk (ZigBee)?? I couldn't find anything searching surface dial + nodered

supercargo

I couldn't find anything searching surface dial + nodered
Hard to know without having one, but it looks like there are some “surface dial for Linux” projects out there. If the dial presents as an HID to the OS, something like Node Red HID might work.

Not sure I want to drop $100 on a Surface Dial to find out since Bluetooth range likely excludes it for my purposes (my equipment rack is hidden away one floor down)

Reactions: MCH

Mehdiem

You could contact them via the email info on the card in the first photo.

I've been back and forth a number of times over the past several days. The gentleman is very helpful and responsive, and VERY much in to trying to satisfy my requirements, with various suggestions. I get a good feeling from the company thus far.

I asked about something programmable on my side and it was a possibility, but for whatever reason it was actually going to be a more expensive option. They said it would be less expensive for them to just do the programming with the existing set up. I will be able to send them command codes. Benchmark has theirs available on their website. Since the CJ commands are already in my universal remote, my custom installer should be able to give them to me to send to Adams.
As a last resort they said I could send my remotes and they'd learn the commands from those. But I don't think that will be necessary.

I don't know about dropping the wood, but I suspect it would be possible, just given the flexibility they've shown so far. I talked about adding a few more buttons to the remote, but we figured out a way to get all the commands via the existing volume knob.
Awesome. Sounds promising. I will contact them. If I can reduce the price by dropping the wood part, I might drop the Raspberry Pi project which costs me about $400CAD including programming and device cost (Pi+Dial)

Mehdiem

If someone can integrate this Hue Tap Dial to Infrared, that would be the end of the game for me. I need infrared because I want to control the volume from preamp. I used to control volume with Symfinisk very nicely when I had Sonos Port, but I see a lot more benefit to control not from streamer but from preamp. I like to set the streamer to fix level and like to see the volume level shown on my preamp.

Attachments

• A85AB4DD-12CD-40F3-ABDA-62B1D893920C.jpeg
    A85AB4DD-12CD-40F3-ABDA-62B1D893920C.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 51
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome. Sounds promising. I will contact them. If I can reduce the price by dropping the wood part, I might drop the Raspberry Pi project which costs me about $400CAD including programming and device cost (Pi+Dial)

They do nice looking stuff:

Beta_Rosewood_Gloss.jpg

The remote also comes in rosewood, like the tube amp pictured above.

mglobe

Forum Donor
The fundamental issue with Surface Dial and I think all the other possibilities is that they don’t output an IR signal, and that is what nearly all of our equipment that is not Roon ready needs to be controlled remotely. In theory it should be possible to turn a Bt message from the Dial into a volume up/volume down IR signal, and to teach that signal to the rPi. It’s WAY above my capabilities, and unfortunately I think the market for it is about 10 times the number of subscribers to this thread. So like 300 people. Worldwide.

MCH

Major Contributor
The fundamental issue with Surface Dial and I think all the other possibilities is that they don’t output an IR signal, and that is what nearly all of our equipment that is not Roon ready needs to be controlled remotely. In theory it should be possible to turn a Bt message from the Dial into a volume up/volume down IR signal, and to teach that signal to the rPi. It’s WAY above my capabilities, and unfortunately I think the market for it is about 10 times the number of subscribers to this thread. So like 300 people. Worldwide.
I (and others) am fine with Bluetooth. My volume control is a software control running on a raspberry pi, so Bluetooth directly to the pi would be the most "elegant" solution.
Additional benefit of Bluetooth, that I believe is relevant for a circular knob, is the lack of directionality (not to have to point to the receiver).
I also have a flirc connected to the pi, so ir would also do, but I would prefer Bluetooth.
PS: the "spin" in post #45 does output ir

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
If someone can integrate this Hue Tap Dial to Infrared, that would be the end of the game for me. I need infrared because I want to control the volume from preamp. I used to control volume with Symfinisk very nicely when I had Sonos Port, but I see a lot more benefit to control not from streamer but from preamp. I like to set the streamer to fix level and like to see the volume level shown on my preamp.

I believe hue works on ZigBee same as symfonisk...

Top Bottom