• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I could reduce our movie collection to a handful of disks:
-BBC Planet Earth and Perfect Planet sets. Beautiful and great viewing for children.

-Kingdom of Heaven director’s cut. Brilliantly done movie that wasn’t a huge seller because it tells the tale of Saladin’s liberation of Jerusalem from the crusaders from a more balanced perspective than the typical Islamophobic/white supremacist take. Also, Eva Green.

-Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. A good movie with pitch perfect use of Radiohead, but the main reason to keep it is that the immersive version is in the also-ran DTS:X format. Therefore it is useful to keep to confirm new AVR/P’s decode this format correctly.

Streaming has gotten good enough that the quality difference for most films is negligible. For example, there’s little to no apparent difference in the AppleTV version of Ford vs Ferrari (Atmos/4K Dolby Vision) compared to the Blu-Ray.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing even with our "high speed" internet these days (as opposed to dsl-only not that long ago) I still get interruptions on streaming, poorer audio and video quality and sometimes that "go away, we can't play that file now" messages.....discs don't do that to me :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing even with our "high speed" internet these days (as opposed to dsl-only not that long ago) I still get interruptions on streaming, poorer audio and video quality and sometimes that "go away, we can't play that file now" messages.....discs don't do that to me :)

Let a 6 year old near your disc collection /player and you'll soon get plenty of those annoying drops.

Daddy, should I :

A) remove your disc, pick it up carefully by the edges and place lovingly in its proper case ; or

B) rub your disc face down on the dirty wood floor then slide it under the sofa to never be seen again

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let a 6 year old near your disc collection /player and you'll soon get plenty of those annoying drops.

Daddy, should I :

A) remove your disc, pick it up carefully by the edges and place lovingly in its proper case ; or

B) rub your disc face down on the dirty wood floor then slide it under the sofa to never be seen again

LOL no kids in my house. I can imagine, tho....

the_hamster 2

French Connection 1 — top of its class in thrillers, w/ all-star cast
Trees Lounge — Buscemi, Chloë Sevigny, Anthony LaPaglia, Elizabeth Bracco, Carol Kane, Daniel Baldwin, Seymour Cassel, Samuel L. Jackson, Rockets Redglare, off-the-wall humour, indy film-making at its best.
Ghost Dog - Forest Whitaker at his best as a hitman.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
From my personal collection. Not all of them easy viewing but worth it.

1628368911783.png

Last edited:

gsp1971

Forum Donor
From my personal collection. Not all of them easy viewing but worth it.

1628369532474.png

Reactions: ADU
Top Bottom