• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doing Time is a prison movie which winds up having quite a bit to do with taking great interest in the smallest of things, an in particular, food:

Reactions: ADU

Destination: Moon

As others have said, I'm not sure owning movies is really necessary anymore but here are a few great ones not mentioned so far, along with one that's really a must see for ANYONE that loves music and fun

The Producers ! The old one with Zero and Gene

Dr Strange Love

Love and Death

Safety Not Guaranteed

THE HISTORY OF FUTURE FOLK

And about 100 others

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_history_of_future_folk_2012

ADU

Major Contributor
Spartacus_-_1960_-_poster.png

Spartacus (1960)

Another good Kubrick film that hasn't been mentioned. I am a sucker for just about anything period, especially with gladiators in it. Get the recently remastered version, because the detail on the previous Blu-ray is just terrible.

Such a good movie though. Wow!

ADU

Major Contributor
Amongst others, these ones stick out in my mind:

Blade Runner

Interstellar

The Martian

Young Frankenstein (1974)

Your avatar reminded me of this one, ck42. And it's one I actually have! I think this might also have been remastered not too long ago, but not sure about that. Sound is only mono (if I remember right) and harsh on the ears at times, especially during some of the musical passages. And the image is on the grainy side (at least on the version I have). If you like the filmic look though, then it's all good. Classic Mel... and Wilder.

ADU

Major Contributor
Master_and_Commander-The_Far_Side_of_the_World_poster.png

Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Wikipedia describes this as "an epic period war drama... set during the Napoleonic Wars". And if that's the kind of thing you're into, then this will be right up your alley! It's also just a good ride from start to finish. I believe this movie also won some awards for its sound, which is excellent. Though I can't fully appreciate all the surround effects, since I listen mostly on headphones. Some of the cannon blasts can really hit you in the gut though. Even on headphones. So watch out y'all! :)

Image quality on the 2k Blu-ray is somewhat dark and dingy and monochromatic. With some occasionally brighter daylight scenes. Detail is somewhat variable. And probably not as high as some more recent releases, which were mastered in higher resolution formats. So the picture isn't quite as impressive as the sound. If you own a display with goods blacks and contrast ratio though, such as OLED, then this is still a pretty decent watch.

The cast is also superb, with Russell in the lead in one of his best roles (though he's done many other excellent films, and I even enjoyed his turn as Robin Hood). But he also gets some great help from a top-notch supporting cast.

This was co-produced by Miramax, btw, which has obviously had some troubles in recent years, due to allegations against one of the company's co-founders, Harvey Weinstein. And that may be one of the reasons this movie fell off alot of people's maps. It was also produced by 20th Century Fox, Universal, and Samuel Goldwyn Films though. And it could probably use a little sprucing/remastering on some of its visuals, and maybe also its sound at this point.

I highly recommend this though, particularly for the sound, story and performances. But also for some great action on the high seas.

This is available to stream free with ads on YouTube, btw, right here. This is official, and it only plays on YouTube.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Chef_2014.jpg

The greatest feel good movie imo that makes you want to eat great food.

Chef

220px-A_Walk_in_the_Woods_Poster.jpg

This film resonates with me because of the fun and silliness of it all. I like movies where actors don't take themselves too serious.

A Walk in the Woods

For the same reason I really like Back to the Future.

First man
Probably because of Ryan Gosling and the moon landing that resonates with me.

The following movies are watch once movies that (for the best part) have good acting.

The Spy
Norwegian movie that may have escaped many because it's quite obscure. But it's good, great suspense and acting. Reminds me of hitchcock.

Perfect Strangers
Italian movie about 4 childhood friends that decide during dinner to share every message or phone call that appears on their phone. Has the looks and feel of a playwrite.

Toni Erdmann
If you like proof that Germans can make a hillarious movie.

Win win
If you like A Walk in the Woods.

Boy Choir
If you like Chef and Dustin Hoffman.

The Good Liar
If you like Helen Mirren.

Made in Italy
Arthouse film that is just fun to watch.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgot to mention Denis Villeneuve, will be glad to continue to collect his works too.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Blu-Ray of "Touch of Evil" for the high contrast transfer. My favorite Orson Welles movie.

OIP.jpg

ADU

Major Contributor
Yeah the key thing for owning a movie is does the movie warrant and/or stand up to multiple viewings. But there are so many different reasons why a movie would be rewatchable. Here's a list and why I find each one rewatchable.

Mad Max Fury Road. This is the only movie where I watched then immediately went back to the beginning and watched the whole thing over again. There are so many reasons to rewatch: amazing cinematography, great sound design and sound track, mind blowing action sequences, subtle world building and small details you can pick up in later viewings.

Chicago. I think musicals are inherently rewatchable if it has catchy song and dance performances. And Chicago has that, plus a cool vibe and great performances throughout.

Aliens. I can't even count how many times I've watched this. Just a perfect action flick. I might call Alien the better movie, but I've watched Aliens a lot more.

Tremors. Another movie I've watched a billion times. I just love stories that involve everyday people working together to survive extraordinary situations. So many great characters, scenes, and sequences. The Rec room scene is worth it alone.

Lion King. One of my most memorable theater going experiences. I felt I got my money's worth just in the opening sequence. And another case where the music alone makes the movie infinitely rewatchable. You could probably add several movies from this Disney era: Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc - but this is my favorite of the bunch.

Matrix. Spectacular visuals, action sequences, and world building. Its one of those movies that really requires a couple watches just to fully understand, and you can pick up other details with each additional viewing.

Brazil. If you put Monty Python into a dark dystopian nightmare world you get "Brazil". Many interesting shot choices, but its the dark ironic comedy and social commentary that keeps me coming back for more watches.

Excellent list, LightinBoy.

Guess I'm a little bit old school, because I still like a couple of the older Mad Maxs, especially this one. Fury Road has its qualities as well though. And I have seen it at least a few times.

Mad_max_beyond_thunderdome.jpg

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

It's a bit quirky. But somehow it works for me. Some excellent tunes by Ms. Turner as well in the soundtrack.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies (2016)

One of my new favs. This is a bit of an acquired taste. But once you acquire it, it's pretty dang good! Fans of Hammer, Jane Austen, and alternate histories should enjoy this one. This has become a pretty regular stop for me around October.

Last edited:

ADU

Major Contributor
PALMER.jpg

The IPCRESS File (1965)

Funeral in Berlin (1966)

Billion Dollar Brain (1967)

Michael Caine as Len Deighton's Cold War anti-Bond sleuth, Harry Palmer. With Guy Doleman as his boss Col. Ross, and Oskar Homolka as Col. Stok.

ADU

Major Contributor
Since most people here are probably music lovers here's a list of my favorite musical and music-related DVDs:

The Blues Brothers (1980)
Good musical performances
Good comedy
Dolby Stereo

The Blues Brothers 2000 (1998)
More good performances & comedy
The supernatural stuff in the sequel is a little goofy
Dolby 5.1

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
(Queen)
Dolby 5.1

Bugsy Malone (1976)
A very cute musical-gangster-comedy where all of the actors are pre-adolescents
The male vocals sound processed (probably pitch-shifted)
Dolby 5.1

Chicago (2002)
A fun musical
Dolby 5.1

Eddie And The Cruisers (1983)
Fictional band reminds me of Bruce Springsteen
Dolby Stereo

Eddie And The Cruisers II (1989)
Dolby Stereo

Evita (1996)
Good music
Antiono Banderas is great
A good story based on true history
Good cynical-political humor
Dolby 5.1

The Girl Can’t Help It (1956)
Comedy and possibly the 1st rock & roll movie
Dolby Stereo

Green Book (2018)
A great true story
Dolby 5.1

Searching For Sugar Man (2012)
A true story that's "hard to believe"
Dolby 5.1

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
The classic rock & roll comedy with good hard rock
Dolby 5.1

What’s Love Got To Do With It (1993)
(Tina Turner)
Dolby 5.1

...P.S.
Maximum Overdrive
(1986)
Soundtrack by AC/DC
This is supposed to be Steven King's worst movie but I get a kick out of it. (I'm not much of a horror movie fan so maybe that's why.)
Dolby 5.1

Very nice list DVDdoug. I enjoy alot of the oldies, especially the ones featuring Fred and Ginger, and Cyd.

These are some others that I think are pretty decent. And would definitely consider picking up on disc, if I had the $$. Several of these (including All That Jazz, Rocky Horror, Cabaret and some others) contain mature content that would not be suitable for kids, btw. So I recommend pre-screening most of them.

Absolute Beginners (1986)

All That Jazz (1979)

An American in Paris (1951)

Cabaret (1972)

Camelot_%28film%29_poster.jpg

Camelot (1967)

Finian's Rainbow (1968)

Footloose (both versions)

FUNNYFACE.jpg

Funny Face (1957)

Gentleman Prefer Blondes (1953)

Grease (1978)

A Hard Day's Night (1964)

My Fair Lady (1964)

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970)

Pink Floyd's The Wall (1982)

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Saturday_night_fever_movie_poster.jpg

Saturday Night Fever (1977)

Scrooge (1970)

Singin in the Rain (1952)

The Sound of Music (1965)

South Pacific (1958)

Streets of Fire (1984)

Sweet Charity (1969)

West Side Story (1961)

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)

WIZOFOZ.jpg

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Xanadu (1980)

Last edited:

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom