• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movies Worth Owning

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Movies worth owning" are the ones I've watched over & over again -- for me they usually aren't the greatest by critical acclaim nor the most challenging intellectually or emotionally. Actually they are the movies I watch when I'm tired and don't want challenges. Usually they are comedies or have a lot of comic content. Four that in category that I've been into recently are:

The Death of Stalin ...
pjimage-56.jpg

The Fifth Element ...
fifth-element.jpg

Snatch ...
snatch.jpg

Lock, stock, and Two Smoking Barrels ...
lock-stock-and-two-smoking-barrels-5a4ff7999ce05.png

ADU

Major Contributor

The_Man_Who_Would_Be_King.jpg

This is also one of my favorites, Count Arthur. And I owned the BD for awhile, but unfortunately had to part with it (along with a large chunk of my discs) when I was strapped for cash. The sound is only mono, and a bit tinny. So could probably benefit from a little EQ or tone adjustments. The visuals are excellent on this though. And are generally on the brighter side.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Major works of Fellini, Hitchcock, Bergman, Truffaut, Goddard, Lang and etc.

You should only own things that are worth watching multiple times.

ck42

Forum Donor
Amongst others, these ones stick out in my mind:

Blade Runner

Blade_Runner_(1982_poster).png

Interstellar

MV5BZjdkOTU3MDktN2IxOS00OGEyLWFmMjktY2FiMmZkNWIyODZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

The Martian

MV5BMTcwMjI2NzM2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDkyNTI5NTE@._V1_.jpg

Attachments

• MV5BNDBiZTNiNjItYWFjNC00Yzc2LWFjMWUtNDAyZmFlZGM0ZWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ5MDYzMTk@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNDBiZTNiNjItYWFjNC00Yzc2LWFjMWUtNDAyZmFlZGM0ZWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ5MDYzMTk@._V1_.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 70

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Next is Crimson Tide. A submarine movie with great acting by Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington.
Non-stop action and suspense.

We like submarine movies and do have Crimson Tide. But we have been watching "Run Silent , Run Deep" forever. I can probably recite the whole movie but we still watch it every once in a while. It is a perfect movie. (there is one very slight continuity error which I won't mention) Took decades to notice.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052151/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Das Boot is pretty good too. I like it better than the Mrs. does.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I also like 12 Monkeys a lot.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114746/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

And Brain Candy
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116768/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

and , and .......

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few favorites
Mulholland Drive
Interstellar
Spirited away
Fanny and Alexander

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
The only three films anyone needs to own:
Zulu, The Long Good Friday, and the life affirming 13 Assassins
F859CC1D-7734-4E4A-B490-4BA6E83299AD.jpeg
D950B48D-3CEC-4F1B-B6E2-CB064AF5635D.jpeg
7C50DF56-1E5A-48C9-BA19-6BB99E7A2EF3.jpeg

*spoiler alert*
Only Zulu has a happy ending!

amper42

Major Contributor
Below are three of my favorites:
1. Avatar - the animation, graphics and story are wonderfully unique. Every time I watch it I enjoy the movie like it was the first time. DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound track. In the 22nd century, a paraplegic Marine is recruited to the Pandora moon as a result of his DNA being similar to his dead brother. The jar head is assigned to a group of scientists wanting to protect the planets indigenous species while the military wants the planets resources. Torn between following orders or stopping the genocide of an alien civilization the marine has to take a side - even if it costs his life.
https://beqcatalogue.readthedocs.io/en/latest/aron7awol/56894532/

2. XMEN - Dark Phoenix - the sound track is great and the story line of a heroine continuing to find the depth of her internal powers through conflict, rage and love is considerable for an action movie. Atmos and DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound tracks. Jean Grey is nearly killed when she's hit by a mysterious cosmic force during a rescue mission. The Cosmic force makes her infinitely more powerful, and far more unstable. Aliens want her power and will do anything to get it. Action galore!
https://beqcatalogue.readthedocs.io/en/latest/aron7awol/58494246/
Dark Phoenix.png

3. Captain Marvel - another heroine who smashes the bad guys in style. Atmos and DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound tracks. Carol Danvers becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes as Earth battles two alien races. Set in the 1990s, Captain Marvel is set in a previously unseen period of history for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
https://beqcatalogue.readthedocs.io/en/latest/aron7awol/58108028/
Captain Marvel.png

Reactions: ADU

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never noticed this thread before. I've got tons of discs for a few reasons. It's like collecting music, there are some you just want to have on tap at any time and sometimes quality comes into it (more movies than music) vs streaming (or depending on internet access/speed), sometimes just nostalgia.

LOTR extended edition bluray is a must as well as the Hobbit collection....for me at least.

Most of Chris Nolan's stuff, Coen Brothers, Spielberg, Tarantino, Spike Lee comes to mind.

I'd have to go stare at my collection for while for others....but many have been mentioned already, too.

Reactions: ADU

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For my money, I particularly want stuff not readily available via streaming services, or which have a lot of added value, like solid bonus features.

Tampopo (Criterion Bluray):

Jacques Tati's Hulot trilogy
Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday
Mon Oncle
Playtime
For me, the first couple of viewings fell flat, as there's no real plot or story, and no obvious laugh out loud jokes. But maybe it's that very lack of a strong story which makes them work so well for endless repeat viewings.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah the key thing for owning a movie is does the movie warrant and/or stand up to multiple viewings. But there are so many different reasons why a movie would be rewatchable. Here's a list and why I find each one rewatchable.

Mad Max Fury Road. This is the only movie where I watched then immediately went back to the beginning and watched the whole thing over again. There are so many reasons to rewatch: amazing cinematography, great sound design and sound track, mind blowing action sequences, subtle world building and small details you can pick up in later viewings.

Chicago. I think musicals are inherently rewatchable if it has catchy song and dance performances. And Chicago has that, plus a cool vibe and great performances throughout.

Aliens. I can't even count how many times I've watched this. Just a perfect action flick. I might call Alien the better movie, but I've watched Aliens a lot more.

Tremors. Another movie I've watched a billion times. I just love stories that involve everyday people working together to survive extraordinary situations. So many great characters, scenes, and sequences. The Rec room scene is worth it alone.

Lion King. One of my most memorable theater going experiences. I felt I got my money's worth just in the opening sequence. And another case where the music alone makes the movie infinitely rewatchable. You could probably add several movies from this Disney era: Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc - but this is my favorite of the bunch.

Matrix. Spectacular visuals, action sequences, and world building. Its one of those movies that really requires a couple watches just to fully understand, and you can pick up other details with each additional viewing.

Brazil. If you put Monty Python into a dark dystopian nightmare world you get "Brazil". Many interesting shot choices, but its the dark ironic comedy and social commentary that keeps me coming back for more watches.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The great dictator
City of lights
Modern times

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Since most people here are probably music lovers here's a list of my favorite musical and music-related DVDs:

The Blues Brothers (1980)
Good musical performances
Good comedy
Dolby Stereo

The Blues Brothers 2000 (1998)
More good performances & comedy
The supernatural stuff in the sequel is a little goofy
Dolby 5.1

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
(Queen)
Dolby 5.1

Bugsy Malone (1976)
A very cute musical-gangster-comedy where all of the actors are pre-adolescents
The male vocals sound processed (probably pitch-shifted)
Dolby 5.1

Chicago (2002)
A fun musical
Dolby 5.1

Eddie And The Cruisers (1983)
Fictional band reminds me of Bruce Springsteen
Dolby Stereo

Eddie And The Cruisers II (1989)
Dolby Stereo

Evita (1996)
Good music
Antiono Banderas is great
A good story based on true history
Good cynical-political humor
Dolby 5.1

The Girl Can’t Help It (1956)
Comedy and possibly the 1st rock & roll movie
Dolby Stereo

Green Book (2018)
A great true story
Dolby 5.1

Searching For Sugar Man (2012)
A true story that's "hard to believe"
Dolby 5.1

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
The classic rock & roll comedy with good hard rock
Dolby 5.1

What’s Love Got To Do With It (1993)
(Tina Turner)
Dolby 5.1

...P.S.
Maximum Overdrive
(1986)
Soundtrack by AC/DC
This is supposed to be Steven King's worst movie but I get a kick out of it. (I'm not much of a horror movie fan so maybe that's why.)
Dolby 5.1

Last edited:
Top Bottom