• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Classic "audiophile" back loaded horn with back chamber behind the driver (OK-ish) and too small horn mouth (fairly common). Actually, it is a sort of hybrid between horn and Transmission Line - fairly common in the hi-fi world. The Real back loaded bass horns comes from Professional audio:View attachment 94841
Just to put some perspective:
View attachment 94842
The horn looks a ridiculous shape to me and the opening from the back chamber vast.
The horn mouth is that of a mid-range horn, but the match to the back chamber completely odd.
Looks like a speaker designed by eye by a stylist rather than by an engineer based on physics to me...

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have to agree with earlier posters that Sonus Faber has long made exceptionally pretty, sensuous speakers. They are the Sophia Loren of speaker manufacturers.

View attachment 94814
Don't think this is a good example, I prefer their more elegant loudspeaker designs. But the craftmanship is always amazing for Sonus Faber.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always been attracted to the design of the RETHM speakers. Quirky looking designs based on lowther drivers, but I love how unique they look - very architectural, with beautiful materials. Clearly a love 'em or hate 'em design, though. (I finally heard some RETHM speakers and though I really wanted to love the sound based on the looks, I found them too lean for my tastes).

RETHM speaker.jpg

Koloth

the Sophia Loren of speaker ? :rolleyes:
IMO, Sophia Loren speaker would rather looks like this...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/unusual-speaker-designs.12255/post-554403

This reminded me of the Morel Fat Lady
morel_fat_lady__________________4__41589.jpg

Now, unfortunately, we really are in ugly territory...

I much prefer the 'smaller' Morel Sopran:

tumblr_inline_o3cncrEjYM1raoqwm_640.jpg

They kinda oscillate between genuinely good-looking and like someone wearing a condom as a body suit to me.

The rest of Morels products are even worse looking if you can believe it. (The Octave Signature series... just wtf)
But they do have a very pretty looking subwoofer:
tumblr_inline_p8gm1dSmTK1raoqwm_500.jpg

Then again an 8-inch driver hardly even qualifies as a subwoofer...

===============

One more speaker I really like, although I could do without the screaming red horn - the Jawil Ragnarök II:
jawil-ragnaroek-2-raum2.jpg

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Boenicke Audio W5, maybe too small for this post ...

/QUOTE]
Ouupsss,
Just saw their price, not an entry level.
At that sort of price, I'd prefer Sonus Faber by far.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Boenicke Audio W5, maybe too small for this post ...

Ouupsss,
Just saw their price, not an entry level.
At that sort of price, I'd prefer Sonus Faber by far.[/QUOTE]

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I've always been attracted to the design of the RETHM speakers. Quirky looking designs based on lowther drivers, but I love how unique they look - very architectural, with beautiful materials. Clearly a love 'em or hate 'em design, though. (I finally heard some RETHM speakers and though I really wanted to love the sound based on the looks, I found them too lean for my tastes).

View attachment 94900
Instant association with this, am I the only one?
index.php

Reading the BS on their website, I doubt it'll sound good, but it does look stunning.

God I hate those screws, and I wouldn't be suprised if they produced significant diffraction.

Attachments

• [1984] Dune [REMUX]_00:07:40.543_(01).jpg
    [1984] Dune [REMUX]_00:07:40.543_(01).jpg
    981.3 KB · Views: 2,973

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
God I hate those screws, and I wouldn't be suprised if they produced significant diffraction.

I agree. Looking at those screws almost gives me some physical pain. I hate the look of screws and that's a particularly egregious example.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Lol
I actually didn't notice them until you mentioned them.
They don't look so good but I'm not sure if they affect the sound

Hiten

Indeed the designer Jacob George is an architect and speaker designer. Rethm are probably only entry from India. It has wide band speaker with builtin woofers at bottom with amplifier. Wideband needs separate amplifier. I have heard it at friend's place (Forgot the Model). It sounded very good across various types of music.
Regards
Addition : I am newbie so dont know the design in detail but good thinking went behind the speakers. Baffleless wideband. Wide band at typical normal listening ear level. Narrow cabinet. Woofers at bottom (kind of omni directional).

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One think clear is that styling and performance don't necessarily go hand in hand (!).
Both the Boenicke (which look nicely made "in the flesh" too) and Rethm has truly appalling frequency responses in their reviews and quite a few of the others look unlikely to work well, strange loading, "full-range" drivers and so on.
Given how visible speakers are, and large, I would only want to have ones I like the look of, but they must work as speakers too...

Top Bottom