• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
FB_IMG_1606141835287.jpg

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm a sucker for Euro-Poplar/Mappa-Burl. I've not heard these but would like to.
Lansche 4.1:
t02200147_0600040113074564994.jpg

I have heard these. They are very well designed and sound great! The cabinets are a steel-alloy.
Polymer Audio Research MKS-X:
axfm1.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I'm a sucker for Euro-Poplar/Mappa-Burl. I've not heard these but would like to.
Lansche 4.1:
t02200147_0600040113074564994.jpg

I have heard these. They are very well designed and sound great! The cabinets are a steel-alloy.
Polymer Audio Research MKS-X:
axfm1.jpg
We had Lansche 4.1s Stereophile measured them, sadly they look better than they sound.
Keith

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Last time I looked at them they were heading even further down the ‘oligarch audio’ route.
Keith

LearningToSmile

Not the best photo but caught my eye - Pylon Audio is a local company to me, but I haven't seen this model yet, probably because it was just introduced this year. High sensitivity, tractrix horn loaded compression driver, and supposedly designed to be uncolored. And I appreciate the beefy aesthetic. I'll keep an eye out on reviews, might be interesting thing to keep a lookout for on the used market in a few years(at around $5k a pair it's a bit too pricey for me right now).

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Not the best photo but caught my eye - Pylon Audio is a local company to me, but I haven't seen this model yet, probably because it was just introduced this year. High sensitivity, tractrix horn loaded compression driver, and supposedly designed to be uncolored. And I appreciate the beefy aesthetic. I'll keep an eye out on reviews, might be interesting thing to keep a lookout for on the used market in a few years(at around $5k a pair it's a bit too pricey for me right now).
The original photo
FB_IMG_1606396422724.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I wonder if it's a similar thing to the cylindrical driver in these Anthony Gallo speakers:

1606399231506.png

1606399367753.png

From their web site: https://galloacoustics.com/about-gallo/

CDT: Our patented CDT technology, as employed in our Strada 2 model, is made up of a diaphragm membrane made of Kynar™, a cutting edge aerospace plastic. This diaphragm is then coated with pure silver because of its high conductivity and reliability, next we silver solder high quality, oxygen-free copper wires to each end of the diaphragm. Finally, the diaphragm assembly is tightly wrapped around a rigid polypropylene core. This inner core acts as attenuation for the driver’s back-wave. Unlike conventional drivers, the CDT doesn’t use voice coils or magnets, instead the signal is passed across the conductive surface of the diaphragm, which attempts to expand, while the shape of the driver supplies the necessary restorative forces.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whoa. What are those drivers?

HiVi TM1a mid and tweeter combo and Tymphany LAT-250. They are both unfortunately NLA. The name NEHD came from the ad-copy saying that 'No ears have died', meaning likely that they did not sound bad. It stuck as their namesake.

It had an immediacy like no other I've built- tight and articulate. The other key feature was the horizontal off-axis response was from a line of semicylindrical driver profiles- they did a lot well, but did need some bass help.

Thanks for asking...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
HiVi TM1a mid and tweeter combo and Tymphany LAT-250. They are both unfortunately NLA. The name NEHD came from the ad-copy saying that 'No ears have died', meaning likely that they did not sound bad. It stuck as their namesake.

It had an immediacy like no other I've built- tight and articulate. The other key feature was the horizontal off-axis response was from a line of semicylindrical driver profiles- they did a lot well, but did need some bass help.

Thanks for asking...
I'd love to see the NEHD measured.

Unusual construction for the LAT 250 driver. It looks like parallel dynamic units? Hard to see.

1606415184312.png

1606415424434.png

1606415124619.png

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Opera-Callas-Bookshelf-Speaker.jpg

Opera Callas

I dont think these are the most beautiful speakers ever, but judging from the abominations posted here, they're easily among the upper third :)

I generally like the look of the Opera speakers.

But my finicky side is let down by speaker grills that look like after-thought add ons, like the ones above. More like a band-aid effect, covering the drivers. I like speakers that were designed with grills in mind, where the grills integrate better.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Opera-Callas-Bookshelf-Speaker.jpg

Opera Callas

I dont think these are the most beautiful speakers ever, but judging from the abominations posted here, they're easily among the upper third :)
I've got these in my office at work. They sounded to me like 'little speakers' which is not surprising considering that they are indeed small. In context though my home speakers are refrigerator sized so most anything would sound comparatively small. I have some ADS tower speakers in my office playing now.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got these in my office at work. They sounded to me like 'little speakers' which is not surprising considering that they are indeed small. In context though my home speakers are refrigerator sized so most anything would sound comparatively small. I have some ADS tower speakers in my office playing now.

I was greatly surprised, during my last visit to the Toronto audio show, that one of the rooms with the most realistic sound was coming out of some large Opera floor standing speakers. Good looks and good sound, at least that day!

Top Bottom