• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A new hype in the world of the ultrarich: glass speakers

Waxx

Major Contributor
It seems that glass speakers are the new hype in the world of the ultrarich. They get more and more installed in hi end (multi million) homes here in Europe, and look very stylish:
Waterfall_Audio_Mise_en_Situation_Victoria_XT_1X1_SD.jpg

The question is, glass as enclosure material, it looks strange. It will resonate all kinds of ways that you don't want it. The speaker is made of security glas (almost unbreakable), but i still think it's a very bad id. Arguments pro or contra?

the speaker shown is the Watterfall Victoria XT, a 2 1/2 way MLTL type tower speaker that costs about 4500€/pair. Not that extreme expensive, but very popular with those ultrarich. I've never seen any measurements of it.

nerdstrike

Well... The main problem I see is that you can see the absorbent materials you would normally pack the cabinet with, hence it doesn't have any. They've also had to try quite hard to make the wiring look good.

The aesthetic isn't bad... But you'd better hire a cleaner regularly or he an absolute clean freak.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that glass speakers are the new hype in the world of the ultrarich. They get more and more installed in hi end (multi million) homes here in Europe, and look very stylish:

The question is, glass as enclosure material, it looks strange. It will resonate all kinds of ways that you don't want it. The speaker is made of security glas (almost unbreakable), but i still think it's a very bad id. Arguments pro or contra?

the speaker shown is the Watterfall Victoria XT, a 2 1/2 way MLTL type tower speaker that costs about 4500€/pair. Not that extreme expensive, but very popular with those ultrarich. I've never seen any measurements of it.

I'll wait for the Swarovski version (for that ultimate...err... crystal clear sound.)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not news, there have always been a few manufacturers who think this is cool for several years now. Decades even.
Never took off though.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not news, there have always been a few manufacturers who think this is cool for several years now. Decades even.
Never took off though.
Yeah, first time I ever saw this was the Pioneer HPM 100, not sure if it was just a marketing thing, but a few plexiglass variants are actually out there.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen glass speakers at least 30 years ago but those were made of plexiglass. Still the same problems ...

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I remember those exact speakers and brand from hifi magazines around 20 years ago. It's a pretty neat idea from the marketing point of view, the connection is through the lines that are on the front and the crossover is probably hidden at the base. They could double as a aquarium, so pretty good value!

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Never took off though.
Celestion tried it shortly after the takeover and production move from Ipswich (UK). Didn't 'sound that wonderful and faded away i recall.

1709038885842.jpeg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
There's a passive membrane at the bottom, smart choice to not let out the resonances, but the overall response is jagged anyway. I first read about them in 2004 but they started selling them in 1999

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 14.16.09.png

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 14.16.24.png

Roland68

Major Contributor

The safety glass is not virtually unbreakable, it is just more resistant to impacts or external violence. If the speaker falls over, falls on a corner, or is hit by something sharp, it will shatter into thousands of non-sharp pieces. Do not confuse this glass with bulletproof or laminated glass.
However, glass, and especially safety glass, is not suitable for larger speaker housings because it is very susceptible to resonance.

Top Bottom