• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A new hype in the world of the ultrarich: glass speakers

OP
Waxx

Waxx

Major Contributor
Off course glass speakers are not new. I knew that and saw them before. But as part-time advisor on audio I noticed that these are a lot asked after the last year(s). They seems to be in fashion, just like plexiglass grand piano's are a fashion item in that kind of homes.

I know the disadvantages of glass also. I would never use glass (or any britle resonating material), but i was wondering if i missed something, because they are asked for a lot, really a lot. Some even asked if i could design a speaker like that (i probally could, but I won't).

MAB

Major Contributor
These plexiglass Pioneer HPM were popular display items in the big-box stores in the late '70s:
23e0175e1f7a474ad204dbd196f7d245.jpg

The plexiglass versions sounded no different in the showroom than the particle board versions. Of course, hard to trust my ears.;)

Scotty recommends Transparent Aluminum:
maxresdefault.jpg

transparent-aluminum.jpg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
" title=

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO, KEF makes very stylish speakers which measure well and sound great. The problem with clear enclosures is a lack of damping.

egellings

Major Contributor
Well... The main problem I see is that you can see the absorbent materials you would normally pack the cabinet with, hence it doesn't have any. They've also had to try quite hard to make the wiring look good.

The aesthetic isn't bad... But you'd better hire a cleaner regularly or he an absolute clean freak.
Wow! See-through sound!

MCH

Major Contributor
Off course glass speakers are not new. I knew that and saw them before. But as part-time advisor on audio I noticed that these are a lot asked after the last year(s). They seems to be in fashion, just like plexiglass grand piano's are a fashion item in that kind of homes.

I know the disadvantages of glass also. I would never use glass (or any britle resonating material), but i was wondering if i missed something, because they are asked for a lot, really a lot. Some even asked if i could design a speaker like that (i probally could, but I won't).
They could be preparing for the life in jail

EERecordist

Always look at the wavelength of audio in air. Speaker makers have put the high and mid in enclosed small volume sub-enclosures. Several posts show that in glass, many wood speakers do it. My pro 1980's speaker has an about 1 liter chamber within the cabinet for the mid.

It's the lows that have to be concerned about the enclosure: volume, resonance, internal cabinet dampening and venting ports. Makers can suggest a full range imposing glass cabinet but would be better implementing the lows unobtrusively in a conventional cabinet to the side or below.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The grills are the hard part.;)
Apart from my previous Olympicas with their strange ones no grill have ever touched my speakers,they all remain new in the boxes,I like to see the drivers.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Apart from my previous Olympicas with their strange ones no grill have ever touched my speakers,they all remain new in the boxes,I like to see the drivers.

Yeah, but... what about DUST?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Pfff, I keep my speakers covered when not listening and rarely remove grills.
For cleaning, only air flowing or sucking devices.
Nothing touches my precioussssssss...

Top Bottom