• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I like classic, wooden speakers. Yup, good ol' rectangular boxy things. But a bit more on the novel side I have to mention Duevel Venus. Might'be been mentioned already, didn't go through the entire thread.

Duevel-Venus-Loudspeakers-26167-p.png
664439ee-b796-4193-aff2-01b3c7baa1cb.9d9412ac37c418586aa7ec94cb0d46bc.jpeg

a1433a72-58a0-4254-8487-94817029bac4-PEP_PALOOZA_PULL_2 (2).jpg

Cabasse La Sphere
View attachment 2288964-way active, 1" 4" 8" 22"
crossover 165 – 800 – 3000 Hz
Something like 135.000 euro.

Interesting coax driver. Own design I think.
JG_still1.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's going on with that exposed bottom driver?
View attachment 233098
The bass system is the "Isobaric" loading in this speaker invented by Harry Olson in the '50s and used by Linn (and many others) since the 1970s.

There are 2 ways commonly used to link the 2 drivers together with Isobaric loading.
One is to have both drivers facing out of the cabinet with the inner driver loaded by the cabinet and firing into a small(ish) sub-enclosure for the outer driver. The Linn Isobaric is this type.
The other is like this, with 2 bass drivers bolted through the baffle using common bolts. The inner bass driver is mounted conventionally with the second like this. It is simpler stiffer and probably better as well because the Isobaric volume is smaller but it does mean you see the back of the outer driver unless a cover is supplied (IME it usually is)

My main speakers have 4 isobaric bass drivers mounted like this but a cover was supplied.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This type of bass loading has the benefit of halving enclosure volume at the cost of halving sensitivity.
Nothing magic but a perfectly valid engineering choice.
A not well implemented engineering choice with all woofer parts and cables unprotected, also nowadays rather woofers with suitable TSP parameters are designed and chosen and thus companies with sensible engineering don't use such configurations, so I insist in this case (haven't seen a well measuring WB, see for example the measurements in the link above I had posted) it is rather a typical high end USP.

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A not well implemented engineering choice with all woofer parts and cables unprotected, also nowadays rather woofers with suitable TSP parameters are designed and chosen and thus companies with sensible engineering don't use such configurations, so I insist in this case (haven't seen a well measuring WB, see for example the measurements in the link above I had posted) it is rather a typical high end USP.
It is very hard or nearly impossible to build a truly symmetrical excursion driver e.g. have a look at the measurements from the voice coil magazine.

With such a combination of two drivers some of the asymmetrical behavior can be compensated.

You also get a much better acoustic damping of the inner sound of the cabinet since a lot of sound escapes through the driver.

Therefore it can be a good choice to use such tricks and it is more than marketing bs.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is very hard or nearly impossible to build a truly symmetrical excursion driver e.g. have a look at the measurements from the voice coil magazine.

With such a combination of two drivers some of the asymmetrical behavior can be compensated.

You also get a much better acoustic damping of the inner sound of the cabinet since a lot of sound escapes through the driver.

Therefore it can be a good choice to use such tricks and it is more than marketing bs.
I agree on some points, on the other hand though good driver driver engineering (thanks mainly to Klippel studies and tools) tries to reduce those asymmetries (another reason why such configurations are rarely used nowadays), also having the output from the "rear side" with its frame and magnet introduces other problems. By the way I am not saying it is always/just marketing but rather in this case of a 22k€ 2-way bookshelf with poor measured performance.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
By the way I am not saying it is always/just marketing but rather in this case of a 22k€ 2-way bookshelf with poor measured performance.
Even if it is not "SOTA" the measures of the axis are not so catastrophic in any case, I expected worse.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

behappybevegan

Do the owners of these speakers have a wife? Lol.
Would love to hear them.
That Kenrick.....oooh, nice.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This type of bass loading has the benefit of halving enclosure volume at the cost of halving sensitivity.
Nothing magic but a perfectly valid engineering choice.
Isobaric systems have been around for decades and surely come with pros and cons. Yet, I have the hunch that this choice was made as much for aesthetic reasons as for acoustic ones. The creator was obviously going for something that looked different.

Top Bottom