• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice desktop AMP + Sennheiser GSX 1200 Pro (DAC) + Beyerdynamic DT 990(250 ohm)

OP
R

ramisrour

Yea, connect the GSX 1200 Pro's line-output (speaker?) jack (3.5mm) to the line-input jacks (RCA) on the Monoprice head amp.
Not sure if you'll be able to use the GSX's headphone surround sound feature?
Hopefully I can use the surround feature or else the whole point of this setup is pointless haha. But I'll just return the amp in that case..

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully I can use the surround feature or else the whole point of this setup is pointless haha. But I'll just return the amp in that case..

I think you will need to connect the amp to the headphone output if you want virtual surround. The device only allows access to the equalizer settings when in speaker output mode. See section 5 of the manual: https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/D1MaE7xKc-S.pdf

You might be better off looking for some lower impedance headphones if you want to use the GSX1200. The AKG K702 or K712 Pro are great for gamming and are both 62 Ohm.

OP
R

ramisrour

So higher ohm isn't good for gaming? I just really liked the mmx 300s but the mic was trash that's why I swapped to this setup. But the beyers are awesome. But in your opinion I should forget the amp I bought and change headphones? Only using these for gaming

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So higher ohm isn't good for gaming? I just really liked the mmx 300s but the mic was trash that's why I swapped to this setup. But the beyers are awesome. But in your opinion I should forget the amp I bought and change headphones? Only using these for gaming
Ohms (impedance) does not really effect headphone surround sound, Beyerdynamic 250-Ohm (& 600-Ohm) headphones are based on an older design, when it was more common for headphone sources were receivers or professional studios or tube head amps.

Just just surprised the GSX 1200 Pro does not get the 250-Ohm headphones loud, the 250-Ohm Beyers are not that powered demanding.

OP
R

ramisrour

Ohms (impedance) does not really effect headphone surround sound, Beyerdynamic 250-Ohm (& 600-Ohm) headphones are based on an older design, when it was more common for headphone sources were receivers or professional studios or tube head amps.

Just just surprised the GSX 1200 Pro does not get the 250-Ohm headphones loud, the 250-Ohm Beyers are not that powered demanding.
Yeah but as of now with my DT 990 and GSX the headphones sound very weak. Some of the sounds are so sharp they overlap other important sounds. And the volume is on full. I think maybe I need more power than the gsx can deliver, hopefully the Monoprice will make this a great combo. And yeah, surprising that the gsx 1200 which costs like 260 euros doesn't power these headphones... I guess you can't have it all

OP
R

ramisrour

So I got the amp today and it's working great! Instead of having the volume on 100 without the amp, now I'm using the amp and the volume is on 23, and I'm getting more volume than before.

Got some questions tho, if any of you have the time to reply :D

1. If I crank the amp to full volume and turn the pc volume to around 40 and up, I head this constant noise, don't know how to explain it, like a "ssshhhhhhhhh" noise. It increases in volume if I turn the volume up. What is that? I can bearly hear it at the level I wanna use it on, but I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong idk.

2. Is it preferred to use the amp on full volume and adjust from the computer, or vice versa?

3. I'm using it without the USB connector, only the power supply to a power outlet. Headphones connected to the front, and selected "AUX in" (the switch in on the front), RCA to AUX cable which goes from the rear "AUX in" connectors, to my GSX headphones jack. And my gsx is USB-connected to the computer. I'm not missing anything right? Am I missing out on anything by not using the USB connector to the pc? I'm thinking because I already have a DAC(the GSX), I won't need the USB on this new device.

4. Is there anything else I need to do setup-wise? I'm really happy with the sound now but I'm just curious if I'm missing something maybe it becomes even better :D

5: if I later upgrade to a better quality amp, will the sound be even better or would it not make any difference? I'm really starting to like these audio devices, it's amazing how much power this amp gave my headphones :D

Here's a photo of the manual.
20200707_133522.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I got the amp today and it's working great! Instead of having the volume on 100 without the amp, now I'm using the amp and the volume is on 23, and I'm getting more volume than before.

1. If I crank the amp to full volume and turn the pc volume to around 40 and up, I head this constant noise, don't know how to explain it, like a "ssshhhhhhhhh" noise. It increases in volume if I turn the volume up. What is that? I can bearly hear it at the level I wanna use it on, but I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong idk.

2. Is it preferred to use the amp on full volume and adjust from the computer, or vice versa?

3. I'm using it without the USB connector, only the power supply to a power outlet. Headphones connected to the front, and selected "AUX in" (the switch in on the front), RCA to AUX cable which goes from the rear "AUX in" connectors, to my GSX headphones jack. And my gsx is USB-connected to the computer. I'm not missing anything right? Am I missing out on anything by not using the USB connector to the pc? I'm thinking because I already have a DAC(the GSX), I won't need the USB on this new device.

4. Is there anything else I need to do setup-wise? I'm really happy with the sound now but I'm just curious if I'm missing something maybe it becomes even better :D

5: if I later upgrade to a better quality amp, will the sound be even better or would it not make any difference? I'm really starting to like these audio devices, it's amazing how much power this amp gave my headphones :D

Here's a photo of the manual.View attachment 72268

Experiment with the DAC in the monoprice- USB out from your PC, may be better fro music playback than the GSX but no need to connect that way

The hiss is likely the noise of the amp itself- what resistance (ohms) are the DT990s? The more you increase the volume , the more it will increase.

OR- its the background noise of your GSX that the monoprice is amplifying. The way to minimise that is to increase your pc output level a bit so either your GSX or Monoprice is doing less amplifying, means less background noise. No perfect mix of volumes, do what is best for your set up. Likewise, try connecting the USB and cutting out the GSX- if the hiss is there when music is paused, its in the monoprice itself.

OP
R

ramisrour

Experiment with the DAC in the monoprice- USB out from your PC, may be better fro music playback than the GSX but no need to connect that way

The hiss is likely the noise of the amp itself- what resistance (ohms) are the DT990s? The more you increase the volume , the more it will increase.

OR- its the background noise of your GSX that the monoprice is amplifying. The way to minimise that is to increase your pc output level a bit so either your GSX or Monoprice is doing less amplifying, means less background noise. No perfect mix of volumes, do what is best for your set up. Likewise, try connecting the USB and cutting out the GSX- if the hiss is there when music is paused, its in the monoprice itself.
Hey! Thanks for the helpful reply. The DT 990s are 250 ohms. Only reason I bought the amp is because the gsx can't power those headphones properly.

I see. I will try what you suggested. Thanks for the help. Anyways, if anyone stumbles across this thread and is wondering if this amp combined with the headphones and GSX is any good, I can vouch for it. (for gaming, that is). I don't really listen to much music on my computer so I can't state my opinion on that. Thanks for the help fellas

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1. If I crank the amp to full volume and turn the pc volume to around 40 and up, I head this constant noise, don't know how to explain it, like a "ssshhhhhhhhh" noise. It increases in volume if I turn the volume up. What is that? I can barely hear it at the level I wanna use it on, but I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong idk.
Max out the volume controls on everything, but the last device in the audio chain (Monoprice).
So just use the Monoprice for volume control.

If you disconnect the GSX and connect the Monoprice using USB, to the computer, how is the sound quality?

OP
R

ramisrour

Max out the volume controls on everything, but the last device in the audio chain (Monoprice).
So just use the Monoprice for volume control.

If you disconnect the GSX and connect the Monoprice using USB, to the computer, how is the sound quality?
Thanks for the tip. I'll try this too.

I will disconnect the gsx and try, when I'm back home tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!

Top Bottom