• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro Ject Debut Pro S - Phono AMP + Headphone AMP

Golem

Hi folks, after 35 years it is time to go back for a Turntable. Thought about a Technics or a TEAC but i decided for a Pro Ject Pro S. I struggle a bit now what to buy. I dont want a full amp and no speakers, only Headphones like my 80 Ohm DT770 and the DT 990 with 300 Ohm. Is a Phone AMP and a Headphone AMP enough? I like the Cambridge Alva Duo Phone pre-amp because it has a headphone jacket. Any thoughts or suggestions?

staticV3

Master Contributor
You only need a phono pre and a headphone amp to make this work.
It's very rare for these two to be put in one device. The Cambridge Alva Duo is one of those few.
However, there's not a single detail on the Alva Duo's website or the user manual about its built-in headphone amp.

If you really value an all-in-one solution, then the Alva Duo may still be worth checking out.
Otherwise, I'd go with a separate phono pre and headphone amp.

OP
G

Golem

I dont wanna waste money but i want to do the right thing. There is a range of AMPs out there. From cheap to expensive in the Pro Ject line. I also saw no informations about the head amp of the Alva Duo as well.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I don't find cheaper Projects especially solid unlike their Rega alternatives which may be too expensive in some markets compared to the home UK market.

If I was buying a new deck on a budget (the Rega 6 is my usual starting point but it's pricy enough here), I'd look first at a Technics SL 100C and put a 95ML or SH stylus in the VM95 body. I'd use it sans lid and site it carefully as if it was a Rega, sit back and grin from ear to ear, as long as it's not all show and no go...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You only need a phono pre and a headphone amp to make this work.
It's very rare for these two to be put in one device. The Cambridge Alva Duo is one of those few.
However, there's not a single detail on the Alva Duo's website or the user manual about its built-in headphone amp.
It has been measured here and here at ASR, and although @amirm was not fond about the maximum power output of the headphone output it is more than loud enough for me.

OP
G

Golem

I ve done it. Got the Pro Ject Debut Pro S, the Pro Ject Phono Box S2 Ultra and the Pro Ject Head Box S2. Setting up the Turntable was easy, the finish of the parts is perfect. The knop to start is under the player wich i like not so much. It is possible to change the cartridge to a "better" MM or MC cartridge. There is no automatic in the Turntable. The design is setback and elegant. VTA and Azimuth are adjustable. The platter is made of alloy and heavy. The Turntable is beltdriven. It has a removable dust cover. A phono cable is included.

The Phono Box looks very simplistic, the case looks cheap. It works with little dip knops to set the right and left channel for your type of Turntable, in my case a MM cartridge. I setted the amplification to 40db the other settings where way to high for my likings (headphones i use range from 32Ohms to 300). The setup was easy, after i understood the meaning of the tiny dip knops. For my untrained ears it sounds pretty well.

The Head Box S2 has the same cheap looking box, you can plug in 3.5 and 6.35 mm jacks and run both at the same time. For me it sounds pretty neutral and i like it. My 300 Ohm DT990 sounded for me better than my DT770 with 80 Ohms, both sounded good on higher volumes as well. My FIIO FH3 in-ear headphones with 24 Ohms sounds clear from low to mid volumes, on higher volumes they sound bad on every amp.

So far i am happy. I know there are more expensive amps but they do well enough for a good starts.

The first LP i played was a new pressed Genesis - Selling England by the Pound. I enjoy this album every time i hear it, now i enjoy it even more. Next albums are a 1986 pressed Pink Floy - The Wall, new pressed Wish you where Here and Darkside of the Moon. Led Zeppelin - IV new pressed and a 1987 press of Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imaginatons.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-12 at 16.28.54.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-12 at 16.28.54.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 90
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-14 at 14.25.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-14 at 14.25.43.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Top Bottom