• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice desktop AMP + Sennheiser GSX 1200 Pro (DAC) + Beyerdynamic DT 990(250 ohm)

ramisrour

First, here's the equipment I have:
DAC = Sennheiser GSX 1200 pro
AMP = Monoprice Headphone Desktop Amplifier (https://www.monoprice.eu/collections/receivers/products/monoprice-eu-desktop-headphone-amplifier)
Headphones = Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm

I used to have the Beyerdynamic MMX 300, which I connected straight to my DAC, and everything was fine until I bought a separate mic with a boom arm, and ditched my MMX 300 for the DT 990(as it had better specs and open back, which I liked more).
The issue is that the GSX 1200, only supports up to 150 ohms, and when connecting my DT 990 directly to the GSX 1200, it's fine but, the volume could be louder...
So I asked on Reddit and some guy said I could connect an amp to the DAC and use them together with my headphones.

To the real question:
How do I connect these together? I bought the AMP, still haven't received it, but I can see from the included accessory that it only has an RCA-RCA cable. My DAC only has AUX connections. Do I buy an RCA to AUX cable? And if so, does this seem like a correct way of connecting these together?:
Headphones to AMP by AUX -> AMP to DAC by RCA-to-AUX, and powered by the DC power plug, not USB(?) -> DAC to PC by USB. Is this right? I tried buying a DAC/AMP which had support for higher ohm, but the GSX is the only DAC out there with a great surround sound, which is what I need as I play FPS games on the PC, and need it for positioning. I tried the Soundblaster G6, and the positioning was terrible, while everything else was good with it. So I returned it.

I appreciate any help, and sorry if the question was long or hard to understand, but English is not my first language.

Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
First, here's the equipment I have:
DAC = Sennheiser GSX 1200 pro
AMP = Monoprice Headphone Desktop Amplifier (https://www.monoprice.eu/collections/receivers/products/monoprice-eu-desktop-headphone-amplifier)
Headphones = Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm

I used to have the Beyerdynamic MMX 300, which I connected straight to my DAC, and everything was fine until I bought a separate mic with a boom arm, and ditched my MMX 300 for the DT 990(as it had better specs and open back, which I liked more).
The issue is that the GSX 1200, only supports up to 150 ohms, and when connecting my DT 990 directly to the GSX 1200, it's fine but, the volume could be louder...
So I asked on Reddit and some guy said I could connect an amp to the DAC and use them together with my headphones.

To the real question:
How do I connect these together? I bought the AMP, still haven't received it, but I can see from the included accessory that it only has an RCA-RCA cable. My DAC only has AUX connections. Do I buy an RCA to AUX cable? And if so, does this seem like a correct way of connecting these together?:
Headphones to AMP by AUX -> AMP to DAC by RCA-to-AUX, and powered by the DC power plug, not USB(?) -> DAC to PC by USB. Is this right? I tried buying a DAC/AMP which had support for higher ohm, but the GSX is the only DAC out there with a great surround sound, which is what I need as I play FPS games on the PC, and need it for positioning. I tried the Soundblaster G6, and the positioning was terrible, while everything else was good with it. So I returned it.

I appreciate any help, and sorry if the question was long or hard to understand, but English is not my first language.

Thanks!
Post a picture of your dac output connections. Aux is simply short for auxiliary, ie something other than main purpose. It's not a connection type /standard. It's either a 3.5mm (ie headphone jack type) or RCA (red and white circle type plugs). Either is easy to get a cable to hook to an amp

OP
R

ramisrour

Post a picture of your dac output connections. Aux is simply short for auxiliary, ie something other than main purpose. It's not a connection type /standard. It's either a 3.5mm (ie headphone jack type) or RCA (red and white circle type plugs). Either is easy to get a cable to hook to an amp
I probably should have done that in my post, sorry. Here's an image:
Screenshot_20200620-205553_Chrome.jpg

Don't mind the first connection on each side, they're only for daisy-chaining these devices together. And I think they're 2.5mm.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I probably should have done that in my post, sorry. Here's an image:
View attachment 69892
Don't mind the first connection on each side, they're only for daisy-chaining these devices together. And I think they're 2.5mm.
You need 3.5mm male to RCA cable. Amazon basics is about $5 a metre. Don't spend lots.

OP
R

ramisrour

You need 3.5mm male to RCA cable. Amazon basics is about $5 a metre. Don't spend lots.
Awesome!
And the way I mentioned to connect them, was correct right? Also, one last thing, this setup will allow me to benefit from the GSX surround while also getting the power from the amp? Even thought the headset is connected to the dac through an amp unit, I'll be able to hear the sound with the surround option enabled from the gsx?
Appreciate the help man! I'll go buy an rca to aux cable locally, if I don't find any I'll check amazon/ebay. Thanks a bunch!

The cable you told me to buy, can I buy this one too? Without losing quality?
1592684160785.png

Or this is probably better as it will be tidier on the desk, right?
1592684201700.png

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome!
And the way I mentioned to connect them, was correct right? Also, one last thing, this setup will allow me to benefit from the GSX surround while also getting the power from the amp? Even thought the headset is connected to the dac through an amp unit, I'll be able to hear the sound with the surround option enabled from the gsx?
Appreciate the help man! I'll go buy an rca to aux cable locally, if I don't find any I'll check amazon/ebay. Thanks a bunch!

Using the cable type I suggested you will get sound out . I guess you would use the hole marked with a speaker. I have no idea what that device does when it outputs to a separate amp in terms of the surround sound. I imagine it does exactly what it does if you plug headphones directly into its HP socket .

OP
R

ramisrour

Using the cable type I suggested you will get sound out . I guess you would use the hole marked with a speaker. I have no idea what that device does when it outputs to a separate amp in terms of the surround sound. I imagine it does exactly what it does if you plug headphones directly into its HP socket .
Alright, thanks a lot. I got a bit wiser today. I'm just waiting for the amplifier and I'll try both the speaker and the headphone sockets.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you max out the volume controls on the PC?
Then use the GSX 1200 Pro to control volume level.
With the DT990 plugged directly into the GSX 1200 Pro.

OP
R

ramisrour

Do you max out the volume controls on the PC?
Then use the GSX 1200 Pro to control volume level.
With the DT990 plugged directly into the GSX 1200 Pro.
nah the dac is too weak. The volume wheel on the GSX is full, so is windows. They are bound to eachother, so if i reduce volume on dac, windows also reduces.

twsecrest

nah the dac is too weak. The volume wheel on the GSX is full, so is windows. They are bound to eachother, so if i reduce volume on dac, windows also reduces.
I believe the Beyerdynamic MMX300 is 32-Ohm, while the DT990 Pro is 250-Ohm.
So I guess the MMX is easier for the GSX 1200 Pro to drive.
I would have suggested you by a used pair of (38-Ohm?) Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X) for surround sound gaming, easier for the GSX to drive.

OP
R

ramisrour

I believe the Beyerdynamic MMX300 is 32-Ohm, while the DT990 Pro is 250-Ohm.
So I guess the MMX is easier for the GSX 1200 Pro to drive.
I would have suggested you by a used pair of (38-Ohm?) Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X) for surround sound gaming, easier for the GSX to drive.
I bought the DT 990 250 ohm. The MMX 300 is what I previously had. But as I said I swapped it for the DT 990.

Anyways, I've ordered an amplifier which I will hook up to the GSX 1200 and use my DT 990 with. I chose the Monoprice Desktop Amplifier, as I got it relatively cheap, for 650 euros.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the DT 990 250 ohm. The MMX 300 is what I previously had. But as I said I swapped it for the DT 990.

Anyways, I've ordered an amplifier which I will hook up to the GSX 1200 and use my DT 990 with. I chose the Monoprice Desktop Amplifier, as I got it relatively cheap, for 650 euros.
What what what, you just bought a monoprice headphone amp for 650 euro?!?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy crap, sorry, 65 euros, it makes 650 NOK in my local currency, I'm just hungry hahaha. Damn

I think myself and everyone else reading just had a heart attack.

(there are objectively good monoprice amps for hundreds of euros, but it didn't seem like that was your objective. Phew!

OP
R

ramisrour

Hahahaha, yeah I felt stupid when I read your comment.

I saw the others amps too, was thinking of buying one for 180 euros, but I'll test this one and check if it works for what I need it for then I don't really need a more expensive one. I just need a bit more power through the headphones.

OP
R

ramisrour

This is a DAC + HP Amp, you could plug it straight in your PC via USB. You'd still need to plug the mic into the GSX1200 though.
What, so I can't use this with my gsx 1200? My mic is a USB device too. So that I have straight into the pc.
Can I not use this as an amp and just connect it to the DAC I already have? Weird it was listed under "Amp" in the main menu on the website. I figured it was just an amp, as there was another menu item which said "amp&dac"...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What, so I can't use this with my gsx 1200? My mic is a USB device too. So that I have straight into the pc.
Can I not use this as an amp and just connect it to the DAC I already have? Weird it was listed under "Amp" in the main menu on the website. I figured it was just an amp, as there was another menu item which said "amp&dac"...

You can use it both ways, there's a switch on the front to select USB DAC or Aux In to feed the headphone amp. If your mic is USB, then you don't need the GSX1200 at all if you use the DAC in the Monoprice (you would of course lose access to the other features of the GSX1200).

Last edited:
OP
R

ramisrour

You can use it both ways, there's a switch on the front to select USB DAC or Aux In to feed the headphone amp. If you're mic is USB, then you don't need the GSX1200 at all if you use the DAC in the Monoprice (you would of course lose access to the other features of the GSX1200).
Ah okay, that's good.

I just need the GSX for it's great ability to deliver precise surround, that's all. I tried another DAC but it wasn't anywhere close to being as good in that field.

So I'll just stick to using the amp with the gsx and hopefully the sound will be much better.

Thank you guys for all your input! Much appreciated from a noob trying to learn what these things are, and can do! :D

I'll post an update once I get the device.

twsecrest

Yea, connect the GSX 1200 Pro's line-output (speaker?) jack (3.5mm) to the line-input jacks (RCA) on the Monoprice head amp.
Not sure if you'll be able to use the GSX's headphone surround sound feature?

Top Bottom