• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 437 76.0%

• Total voters

rcstevensonaz

from your reference:

Background​

In 1974, Professor Bob Fabry of the University of California, Berkeley, acquired a Unix source license from AT&T. Supported by funding from DARPA, the Computer Systems Research Group started to modify and improve AT&T Research Unix. They called this modified version "Berkeley Unix"
Excellent point! But... FreeBSD 2.0, which was released in November 1994, was the first version of FreeBSD without any code from AT&T. So I think this largely comes down to semantics (and lawyers).

However, even more interesting: it turns out that macOS has the licensed right to use the UNIX trademark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix)
Systems that have been licensed to use the UNIX trademark include AIX,[35] EulerOS,[36] HP-UX,[37] Inspur K-UX,[38] IRIX,[39] macOS,[40] Solaris,[41] Tru64 UNIX (formerly "Digital UNIX", or OSF/1),[42] and z/OS.[43]

Strobilus

I recently bought a new Flex (DL) to replace a DDRC-24. To my surprise, when I tried to load a Dirac Live project file created by DDRC-24, I got an error "Could not restore a project - the file was created for a different device". The same version 3.9.7 of Dirac Live was used to configure DDRC. Both platforms have the same processor. Why would Dirac prevent Flex from loading DDRC's project?
Hi, Yeah these are treated as separate recording devices by the Dirac software and cannot use the same save files. I have a similar experience with a DDRC-24 and Flex, I think this is mentioned somewhere in this tread earlier.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Excellent point! But... FreeBSD 2.0, which was released in November 1994, was the first version of FreeBSD without any code from AT&T. So I think this largely comes down to semantics (and lawyers).

However, even more interesting: it turns out that macOS has the licensed right to use the UNIX trademark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix)
Exactly. Glad you got there eventually. :)

VeerK

Has anyone else experienced channel imbalance with the Flex? I have the flex digital and the right channel sometimes has its volume very low, despite no changes to my system. I have read some posts saying the power supply is inadequate, can anyone share a reasonable replacement?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone else experienced channel imbalance with the Flex? I have the flex digital and the right channel sometimes has its volume very low, despite no changes to my system. I have read some posts saying the power supply is inadequate, can anyone share a reasonable replacement?
That sounds pretty unlikely, since changing the volume on only one digital output is very unlikely to result from some sort of failure. (all the data in the stream has to be changed in a very specific and controlled way)

Much more likely a problem further down the audio chain.

greyscale

Forum Donor
I hope miniDSP can come to some agreement with Dirac in order to be able to purchase and utilize Dirac Bass Management and Bass Control in miniDSP Flex products soon.

Eric Natural

I've just ordered a Flex & am curious about the crossover behavior.
Can I compress the sub output only before calibrating with the mic ?
TIA

mike70

TIA

Specifying the LPF / HPF only before calibration seems to be a hard and inflexible statement.

Read the manual ... room correction doesn't have an easy and short answer unless specific use cases / objectives.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TIA
It is normal to setup the sub crossover and levels, and then apply room correction to the system as though it is driving full range speakers.

mike70

It is normal to setup the sub crossover and levels, and then apply room correction to the system as though it is driving full range speakers.

But you surely will be adjusting it with the measurements ... it's not as a cake recipe. I prefer to show that isn't magic and you need to get some more profound information than a quick "tip & trick".

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But you surely will be adjusting it with the measurements ... it's not as a cake recipe. I prefer to show that isn't magic and you need to get some more profound information than a quick "tip & trick".
Correct. But before you can take measurements you need the sub integrated with a crossover, and set to aprox the correct level.

mike70

Correct. But before you can take measurements you need the sub integrated with a crossover, and set to aprox the correct level.

Yes, but was strange the statement "only before calibrating". I ended with a much more higher crossover that I thought was "the correct" one ... and after weeks of trial & error, even changing phase settings.

Maybe I was out of luck, but for the best results, it was a hard work. Now I understand why many people buy the Dirac license :)

Joffy1780

Yes, but was strange the statement "only before calibrating". I ended with a much more higher crossover that I thought was "the correct" one ... and after weeks of trial & error, even changing phase settings.

Maybe I was out of luck, but for the best results, it was a hard work. Now I understand why many people buy the Dirac license :)
Dirac won't adjust your crossover or sub levels, you have to do that yourself first.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Even with the Dirac license, you have to first integrate the sub, since Dirac on the mini dsp doesn't have bass control integrated.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Even with the Dirac license, you have to first integrate the sub, since Dirac on the mini dsp doesn't have bass control integrated.
Exactly. You have to set time alignment between mains/subs, set crossovers, and set levels all before running Dirac. Also would want to set any speaker specific PEQ first as well. Since you need to have a umik-1 to run Dirac and REW is free, you already have all the tools you need. It's not exactly point and shoot, but it works like a charm!

mike70

Dirac won't adjust your crossover or sub levels, you have to do that yourself first.

I don't said Dirac does the bass crossover settings... I said I understand why many people saves much hassle on finding the best results with Dirac.

Setting the initial crossover is 1/10 of the total work ... I ended with a very (very) different setting from what I had thought

Joffy1780

I don't said Dirac does the bass crossover settings... I said I understand why many people saves much hassle on finding the best results with Dirac.
I misunderstood, my apologies.
Setting the initial crossover is 1/10 of the total work ... I ended with a very (very) different setting from what I had thought
Agreed.

Eric Natural

. . . another Q for users while admitting I haven't read the voluminous manual as of yet.
Do I leave the laptop connected to the unit permanently or set & forget ?
TIA

Top Bottom