• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 436 76.0%

• Total voters

ekpln

Hello everyone,

I have a Minidsp Flex unbalanced version. Can I use its analog input for measuring my other DACs' performances, can I make FFT or Jitter analysis?

Thanks,

Cassadamius

My current setup is laptop > USB to Topping DX3Pro+ > RCA split to Power Amp & Sub > Passive Speakers. I'm looking for sub integration, EQ, and Dirac. I was initially leaning toward the Flex, but I think I can get away with the DDRC-24 if I keep the DX3Pro (I need volume control). Would it be possible for me to just add the DDRC between the DAC and the power amp via RCA? Any issues with this setup?

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My current setup is laptop > USB to Topping DX3Pro+ > RCA split to Power Amp & Sub > Passive Speakers. I'm looking for sub integration, EQ, and Dirac. I was initially leaning toward the Flex, but I think I can get away with the DDRC-24 if I keep the DX3Pro (I need volume control). Would it be possible for me to just add the DDRC between the DAC and the power amp via RCA? Any issues with this setup?
You'd be introducing an analogue to digital conversion and another digital to analogue conversion that way.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Where does the analogue to digital conversion happen?
Inside the DDRC-24, since it can only process digital audio.

If you want to keep the DX3Pro for volume control, then the DDRC-24 needs to first convert the DX3Pro's analog Line out back to digital, then apply EQ, then convert it to analog again.

Cassadamius

Inside the DDRC-24. It can process only digital audio.

If you want to keep the DX3Pro for volume control, then the DDRC-24 needs to first convert the DX3Pro's analog Line out back to digital, then apply EQ, then convert it to analog again.
I see, thank you. I was hoping to use the DX3 since a) I already own it, and b) it appears to be a better DAC than that in the MiniDSP. But either way, I'm going to have to use the DAC in the DDRC-24. So maybe my best bet is to just go for the Flex and ditch the DX3 in order to streamline the system.

Joffy1780

I see, thank you. I was hoping to use the DX3 since a) I already own it, and b) it appears to be a better DAC than that in the MiniDSP. But either way, I'm going to have to use the DAC in the DDRC-24. So maybe my best bet is to just go for the Flex and ditch the DX3 in order to streamline the system.
The only issue is the loss of the headphone amp in the DX3.

Joffy1780

If you do still need a headphone amp in the setup, you could get a Flex Eight and Topping L30ii and sell the DX3 to help fund or move to another room.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
If you do still need a headphone amp in the setup, you could get a Flex Eight and Topping L30ii and sell the DX3 to help fund or move to another room.

I use a Topping L50 with my Flex for headphones. The outputs for L/R just pass thru the L50 before going into the PA5. When the L50 is powered off, it passes the signal straight thru. When turned on, the L50 will not pass the signal thru anymore, and I switch the Flex to a config that has EQ settings for my headphones (fantastic!) and disables the outputs to the subs and the crossovers and whatnot. Volume control on the L50 stays maxed out all the time just like the PA5, and the Flex does all the volume control. It works flawlessly this way. I love having the headphone EQ settings in the Flex.

A picture is worth a thousand words...
office.drawio.png

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
What are good setting for crossover? I see multiple curve types and slopes.
I'd think a 4th-order Linkwitz-Riley @ 80Hz is the most common (24dB/oct). It's a good starting point for any system, but testing, measuring, and listening will be needed to determine if it's optimal.

BenjaminB

I'd think a 4th-order Linkwitz-Riley @ 80Hz is the most common (24dB/oct). It's a good starting point for any system, but testing, measuring, and listening will be needed to determine if it's optimal.
? I started with 500 Hz and stay with that. 80 Hz is most likely for use with a sub but that is just one use case.

L-R 4th worked fine for me, but again, that is not for everybody.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
? I started with 500 Hz and stay with that. 80 Hz is most likely for use with a sub but that is just one use case.

L-R 4th worked fine for me, but again, that is not for everybody.
Maybe I misunderstood where he wanted to apply a crossover, as he did not specify. Subwoofer use is by far the most common with this device, for which 500 Hz is way too high in almost every case.

BenjaminB

Maybe I misunderstood where he wanted to apply a crossover, as he did not specify. Subwoofer use is by far the most common with this device, for which 500 Hz is way too high in almost every case.

? Is it? How do we know that?
Subs are most likely a common use case, however my guess is that room EQ is the most common use case for miniDSP Flex. But this is just a guess. And, there is a difference between guess and knowledge.

You may now think I am nitpicking, but you know, the S in ASR means science. Not guesses.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
? Is it? How do we know that?
Subs are most likely a common use case, however my guess is that room EQ is the most common use case for miniDSP Flex. But this is just a guess. And, there is a difference between guess and knowledge.

You may now think I am nitpicking, but you know, the S in ASR means science. Not guesses.
The preceding sentence "Maybe I misunderstood where he wanted to apply a crossover, as he did not specify" and rest of the other sentence that you did not bold face "for which 500 Hz is way too high in almost every case" provided the context that should have helped you ascertain that I am referring to the crossover usage, as in sub crossovers are much more common than active speaker crossovers. Sorry you missed that part of the context, or if I was not clear enough for you. Nitpick away I guess if that works for you. :)

keiron99

Sorry for the basic nature of my question: do you need a laptop computer to set up Dirac on the minidsp flex? If so - because I don't have one - could I borrow one, set it up and then no longer need the laptop?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry for the basic nature of my question: do you need a laptop computer to set up Dirac on the minidsp flex? If so - because I don't have one - could I borrow one, set it up and then no longer need the laptop?
You need a computer running macOS or Windows, that's connect to both the Flex and your UMIK.
This computer can be a laptop, desktop, or tablet. Doesn't matter.

After calibration, the room correction is stored on your Flex and you no longer need the computer.

Here's miniDSP's user manual for using Dirac Live on their processors:

Top Bottom