• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 436 76.0%

• Total voters

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
This one only has analog outs?
In that case, Minisdp Flex digital (RCA in, digital in, digital out).

But why do you need digital out ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi, I mentioned my preference to maitain & use a separate DAC, that is E50 at the moment.
You can get Dirac w/ RCA out for $450 (DDRC-24), or Dirac w/ Toslink/Coax out for $700 (Flex Digital).

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
Quite expensive in my scenario.
As my goal is to somehow experiment a Dirac corrected sound in my room, seems that the laptop version is the most affordable, using laptop as a source, Deezer/Tidal streaming.

ehabheikal

Hi complete setup is as follows

WIIM PRO VIA COAXIAL INTO MINIDSP
TV VIA OPTICAL INTO MINI DSP
MINIDSP FLEX BALANCED INTO AHB2

No i am not using the minidsp TRS to XLR converters. I am using other TRS to XLR converter.

As for a screenshot, its not possible to send how i configured the minidsp crossover and gains. One of the trouble shooting steps they provided was a total reset of the unit. So ive cleared all of that.

So current state is that there is zero adjustments to anything. My unit is essentially stock at the moment. And the problem remains.

The coles notes is that i have to turn the unit on and off many times to get sound. Sometimes that doesnt work, so i keep it off for 5 to 10 minutes and when i turn it on, i will get sound.
I put tv into wiim and trigger of wiim turns on/off the power to minidsp and purifi amp.

radix

Major Contributor
Quite expensive in my scenario.
As my goal is to somehow experiment a Dirac corrected sound in my room, seems that the laptop version is the most affordable, using laptop as a source, Deezer/Tidal streaming.
You can get a 14-day trail for the DIRAC software and run it on a computer source rather than do it in hardware, just as a temporary measure. You will still need to buy a UMIK or other supported calibration mic (but if. you're going to get a minidsp later, get a umik).

Or you can use REW or other software to generate filters and use convolver software on a computer.

EDIT: I just re-read and noticed you're using a laptop source. Maybe look at a software DRC solution.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I got Umik1 and made basic measurements, not my hobby, really.
Using YPAO on another system, so Dirac & laptop seems a nightmare.

My main system is made of Wiim Pro as streaming source plus DAC and amp.

Th0805

Can anyone help me with which version of the flex (balanced or unbalanced) to get? I have a digital source for streaming and a phono preamp with standard rca. My amp is balance Purifi inputs that the flex will feed to

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can anyone help me with which version of the flex (balanced or unbalanced) to get? I have a digital source for streaming and a phono preamp with standard rca. My amp is balance Purifi inputs that the flex will feed to
Choose Balanced inputs whenever you can, so in this case, the Flex Bal.

If you have ground loop noises with a store-bought RCA->TRS cable between Phono Pre and Flex, then this can be solved with a custom cable.

This makes your Phono Pre's single-ended RCA output impedance balanced, which comes with all the noise-cancelling and ground loop breaking attributes of a native TRS/XLR output:

BenjaminB

So as per SOLEN.CA, i CC'D them on all emails with MINIDSP support. So they are aware of whats happening.......but now that i remember they were supposed to call me back on Friday but that came and went.

Yes i arrived at the same thought. Please exchange my unit with another one. I will call them on Monday.

Thanks for your help
Hi Monty,

I have suggestions:
1) test with another USB cable. The one I got with my Flex was not working 100% which caused some confusion
2) connect the inputs to your miniDSP Flex and connect a PC/Mac via a USB cable to the miniDSP. select one input as eg the Wiim (coax) you have and start that one so it does have output to the coax connection. Power up your PC/Mac and start the miniDSP program.
a) does the pc/mac program recognize your MiniDSP Flex?
b) is the input levels visible on the miniDSP program display? these levels should go up and down with the input variation.
c) how is the output configured? Input channels 1 and 2 should each be connected to an output (1-4).

The miniDSP program is a bit confusing at first sight, it takes some time to adapt to how the miniDSP designers were thinking

Th0805

Choose Balanced inputs whenever you can, so in this case, the Flex Bal.

If you have ground loop noises with a store-bought RCA->TRS cable between Phono Pre and Flex, then this can be solved with a custom cable.

This makes your Phono Pre's single-ended RCA output impedance balanced, which comes with all the noise-cancelling and ground loop breaking attributes of a native TRS/XLR output:
So interesting, I was getting ready to order the balanced model and saw this on MiniDSP website. So I guess I need the unbalanced version and get rca to xlr adaptor for the outputs

WARNING: This adaptor(TRS to RCA) is ONLY to be used for the Flex OUTPUTS. We've noticed a performance drop (15dB SINAD drop) when using such adaptor for INPUTS of the FLEX. For that reason, we do not recommend customers to use an unbalanced to balanced cable on the "input" side of the Flex. If you want to have unbalanced in/out for both inputs and outputs, it's strongly recommended that you just use the miniDSP Flex unbalanced version. The miniDSP Flex was engineered with best performance in mind and it's therefore our intention to stay consistent on making sure best audio quality is kept for this platform!

Once again to clarify, there isn't any performance drop for OUTPUTS. i.e. TRS to RCA cable for an unbalanced amplifier or subwoofer if perfectly fine. This limitation is for INPUTS only. i.e. RCA source to TRS input of the Flex.”

staticV3

Master Contributor
So interesting, I was getting ready to order the balanced model and saw this on MiniDSP website. So I guess I need the unbalanced version and get rca to xlr adaptor for the outputs

WARNING: This adaptor(TRS to RCA) is ONLY to be used for the Flex OUTPUTS. We've noticed a performance drop (15dB SINAD drop) when using such adaptor for INPUTS of the FLEX. For that reason, we do not recommend customers to use an unbalanced to balanced cable on the "input" side of the Flex. If you want to have unbalanced in/out for both inputs and outputs, it's strongly recommended that you just use the miniDSP Flex unbalanced version. The miniDSP Flex was engineered with best performance in mind and it's therefore our intention to stay consistent on making sure best audio quality is kept for this platform!

Once again to clarify, there isn't any performance drop for OUTPUTS. i.e. TRS to RCA cable for an unbalanced amplifier or subwoofer if perfectly fine. This limitation is for INPUTS only. i.e. RCA source to TRS input of the Flex.”
It's possible that what miniDSP experienced was just the result of a poorly constructed, 2 conductor RCA->TRS cable where Cold was shorted to GND directly at the TRS plug. Like this basically:
terminaldiagram-mc.png

For RCA->TRS/XLR, you specifically want a 3 conductor cable where Cold and GND only meet at the RCA GND:
47774.png

miniDSP didn't provide details on the cable used afaik, so this remains speculation, but I'm fairly confident that with the right cable, no performance drop will occur.

I'd personally go with a Flex Bal, despite miniDSP's warning, but only because I can make my own cables and can measure the input's THD+N.

If you decide to go with the regular Flex, then the impedance-balanced RCA->XLR cable stuff applies to the Flex->Amp connection instead.

The disadvantage being that if you get a GND loop between Phone Pre and Flex using RCA->RCA, then you're kind of stuck with it.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

This issue is for unbalanced RCA to TRS balanced inputs only, does not affect output.
Says so very clearly on Minidsp site.
Any balanced TRS to XLR cable will work fine for the outputs.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Pardon me, didn't read original post.

Th0805

It's possible that what miniDSP experienced was just the result of a poorly constructed, 2 conductor RCA->TRS cable where Cold was shorted to GND directly at the TRS plug. Like this basically:
View attachment 350951

For RCA->TRS/XLR, you specifically want a 3 conductor cable where Cold and GND only meet at the RCA GND:
View attachment 350950

miniDSP didn't provide details on the cable used afaik, so this remains speculation, but I'm fairly confident that with the right cable, no performance drop will occur.

I'd personally go with a Flex Bal, despite miniDSP's warning, but only because I can make my own cables and can measure the input's THD+N.

If you decide to go with the regular Flex, then the impedance-balanced RCA->XLR cable stuff applies to the Flex->Amp connection instead.

The disadvantage being that if you get a GND loop between Phone Pre and Flex using RCA->RCA, then you're kind of stuck with it.
They sell trs to xlr cables as part of their pail packages. I would assume that they would have tried all possible incarnations to make it work

Th0805

Pardon me, didn't read original post.
Right. So for someone like me to has a balanced in on my power amp coming from the flex outputs but an rca phono preamp our going into the flex inputs, I would assume this point that I need to buy the unbalanced version

Th0805

I would not.
So you think they they went to the trouble to note a measurable difference when using a certain configuration, and that their engineers knowing there’s more than one way to make said cable didn’t try it the other way?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So you think they they went to the trouble to note a measurable difference when using a certain configuration, and that their engineers knowing there’s more than one way to make said cable didn’t try it the other way?
I think they bought an RCA->TRS cable/adapter online for validation, measured a performance drop, and reported on it accordingly.

If they went into greater detail, like testing different cable constructions, series resistors for impedance balancing, etc, then I would expect them to report on the matter accordingly, not just "we tried an RCA->TRS cable and found worse performance".

Monty67

So as per SOLEN.CA, i CC'D them on all emails with MINIDSP support. So they are aware of whats happening.......but now that i remember they were supposed to call me back on Friday but that came and went.

Yes i arrived at the same thought. Please exchange my unit with another one. I will call them on Monday.

Thanks for your help

So as un update i received an email last night (MONDAY) from SOLEN.CA. Asking that i send back the unit to SOLEN.CA. And they say "Upon receiving the unit, we will handle the return process with MINIDSP for warranty assessment".

So thats where things are at this moment.

Top Bottom