• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 437 76.0%

• Total voters

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In addition to that any modern subs will have internal delay and through the setup you will have to find the perfect delays for subs and mains anyways

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Balanced to unbalanced is not an issue at all (I'm using it right now)

Not an issue for your specific setup, there is no guarantee others will also be problem free. I agree it is unlikely that there will be issues, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

But would not the Flex be able to synchronize those delays, as it controls both outputs? Or would there be too much jitter between them?

This is not an issue. The downstream DAC will be clocked sync'd via the SHD/Flex digital output. While it is true you will have different delays between the two DACs, as mentioned by others you will already need to correct delay as a result of the path length difference between your sub / main.

Michael

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to those pointing out the delay faciliy in the MiniDSP - i'd been unaware of it. It seems to be a maximum of 30ms - but that would be quite a long buffer at the 48kHz used by the flex.

mike70

more people who have done the software update?
any problems reported?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
more people who have done the software update?
any problems reported?
I had a problem where after the update there was no longer any DSP firmware installed, resulting in sometimes white noise out of the device.

No idea how I did that - I'm assuming it was some confirmation I failed to click.

Anyway - repeating the update fixed it.

Robocop

Some customers on Minidsp site had reported issues on specific devices not the Flex though in general.

These issues should be resolved now in latest version 1.1.14. Where minidsp reports in link below.

I downloaded this and all is functioning well so far. I did download all the recent updates with no issues.

I have asked Minidsp if the volume control has been reinstated to before ASCR in the DSP chain. As the previous update had reversed this in order to negate spurious noises.

Side issue for me and all owners of minidsp devices:

In all of this I stupidly disconnected the Flex without turning off amplifiers and boy the noise was deafening. I turned all power off to end. Thankfully nothing was destroyed like tweeters. No one would want to experience this I can assure you.

PLEASE TURN OFF ALL AMPLIFIERS/SPEAKERS BEFORE CONNECTING/DISCONNECTING MINIDSP DEVICES AND UPDATING SOFTWARE AND ANY SETTINGS.

Robert

Last edited:

Bogda

MiniDSP says you should only use TRS to RCA cables where the TRS tip is connected to the RCA tip and the TRS sleeve is connected to RCA shield.
f4tBi8RhZRGlxeFP3NxwPieoDKH7GAMmDA.png

This can easily be achieved by getting a stereo TRS to dual RCA cable and just using the left channel RCA for the sub.
TRS-to-Dual-RCA-Cable-6ft.jpg

By ignoring the right RCA (green line) you essentially have a TRS to RCA adapter with Pin 3 (ring on TRS) floating.
I guess TRS to RCA cables minidsp is offering for 20$/pair with Flex is like on picture 1.
I have RCA setup now but plan to upgrade to amp with balanced inputs. Sub will stay RCA.
For me balanced flex is the right choice?

javajaws

If you get the Flex with Dirac you lose the FIR filters, correct? Which would you'll rather have FIR or DIRAC?

radix

Major Contributor
If you get the Flex with Dirac you lose the FIR filters, correct? Which would you'll rather have FIR or DIRAC?

Yes, minidsp products do not support both DIRAC and FIR at the same time. I know on the 2x4HD DIRAC, you can downgrade it to non-dirac and do FIR, then re-enable DIRAC later. It's not a simple process and you need to make sure you have all the right firmware available. I'm not sure if the Flex can be downgraded.

This article lists the units that can do FIR: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/dsp-basics/fir-vs-iir-filtering

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about going back? Hopefully you don't have to buy a license again. I have to say this procedure is not very flexible, ironically. I thought you'd be able to have DIRAC on one preset, an REW setting on the other etc.
You can switch back and forwards - though I've not tried it.

Regarding your expectations - the only people worth taking that up with are MiniDSP. Personally I suspect there is not room in the code space for both Dirac and FIr software together.

radix

Major Contributor
Fair enough! :) My first comment with regard to the license was ironic, some smiley got lost.

As @antcollinet said, if you are thinking of doing the downgrade to play with FIR, I'd contact minidsp first and say what you want to do and have them tell you what's involved with going back to DIRAC. I've always had very good experiences with minidsp support. I know it can be done (I've done it on a minidsp 2x4HD), but it took a bit of back-and-forth to get the process right. It's was not something one would want to do on a whim.

5-pot-fan

MiniDSP says you should only use TRS to RCA cables where the TRS tip is connected to the RCA tip and the TRS sleeve is connected to RCA shield.
f4tBi8RhZRGlxeFP3NxwPieoDKH7GAMmDA.png

This can easily be achieved by getting a stereo TRS to dual RCA cable and just using the left channel RCA for the sub.
TRS-to-Dual-RCA-Cable-6ft.jpg

By ignoring the right RCA (green line) you essentially have a TRS to RCA adapter with Pin 3 (ring on TRS) floating.
May I ask what would be the difference between your/minidsp recommendation about using TRS plug but having the Ring connection connected but floating, and using aTS plug where the Ring connection is not made at all? Is it perhaps because in the TRS socket the Ring element would make an unwanted connection to the TS plug in some way?
Thanks

juliangst

Is it perhaps because in the TRS socket the Ring element would make an unwanted connection to the TS plug in some way?
Yep exactly this. As MiniDSP says on their website it shouldn’t be a problem but you will likely lose a few dBs of SINAD. I would just go with a specific cable with Ring connection floating or using the trick with the TRS to RCA splitter if those special cables are not available or too expensive

tmocke

I want to buy miniDSP flex and use it as preamp for my 2.1 system.
Sources are analog (turntable) and digital.

Is it the best device for that? Or should I consider other options? Wiim Pro Plus? Matrix mini-i 4?

I have SMSL Su 6 DAC that looks like it measures better than FLEX. But is it anything audible?

Thank you.

juliangst

I want to buy miniDSP flex and use it as preamp for my 2.1 system.
Sources are analog (turntable) and digital.

Is it the best device for that? Or should I consider other options? Wiim Pro Plus? Matrix mini-i 4?

I have SMSL Su 6 DAC that looks like it measures better than FLEX. But is it anything audible?

Thank you.
All of those devices are audibly transparent.
For a 2.1 setup the flex should be the best option because you can put a highpass filter on the speakers and use EQ filters to get the perfect bass response in your room.

Top Bottom