• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 436 76.0%

• Total voters

Robocop

Seems right, check out page 38 in the minidsp Flex User Manual pdf for settings. I've downloaded this pdf to my computer desktop for quick check back. Online manual is more basic. This pdf is better for new owners certainly helped me get settings right with subs.

I would try boosting gain to sub and leave mains at 0. But if you have tried that already and run out of gain what you have done is fine.

As far as crossover at 80hz, feel free to push that higher when settled with sound. I do run two stereo subs and started at 80hz but now at 95hz. What a difference it made. I'd try 5hz at a time.

Robert

Last edited:

Megaken

Any ideas if it's possible to create a 5/12v trigger out with this?

I use the usb type A port of the SHD as a workaround but but not sure if this is possible for the usb B port available on the flex?
Nope. Did you find a way though

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the recommended schematic for TRS - RCA cables to my unbalanced power amp and it works flawless.

But, with my SVS sub I have something like 6-10dB less in gain ... I needed to apply -10dB gain on the L/R main channels to have bass (hi / lo pass at 80Hz).
I'm using channel 3 for sub adding input 1+input 2. I'm doing something wrong?
What is the volume setting on the sub? Can't you just turn this up? You may just be in a situation where the sub has less gain than your power amp?

Also if you run a full range FR measurement - what does that look like after you've applied a correction filter? Does that show a low level in the bass? It may be that the music you are listening to has little sub bass content.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I finded what's happening ... the technical guy made a bad solder.

He join the cold pin with the cable isolation mesh :-(
I think the gain will be ok when I fix that, and I won't use it until gets fixed, maybe I can damage the flex outputs.

bbizzle

Has anyone figured out a way to improve the performance when trying to adapt from the TRS output to RCA? Amir showed a big drop in performance when doing this and both my subs require RCA inputs.

Also, is it possible to use a TS >> RCA adapter and have this still work as expected? Thanks in advance!

Joffy1780

That is only relevant to the TRS input, there are no issues using TRS to RCA from the outputs.
Has anyone figured out a way to improve the performance when trying to adapt from the TRS output to RCA? Amir showed a big drop in performance when doing this and both my subs require RCA inputs.

Also, is it possible to use a TS >> RCA adapter and have this still work as expected? Thanks in advance!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RCA to TS will work on inputs only. On outputs they will short circuit the cold connection to ground. Depending on the output circuit (which we do not know) this may have no impact, may reduce accuracy of the ouput, may over stress the output, or may damage the output.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor

mike70

RCA to TS will work on inputs only. On outputs they will short circuit the cold connection to ground. Depending on the output circuit (which we do not know) this may have no impact, may reduce accuracy of the ouput, may over stress the output, or may damage the output.

That´s what happened to me ... in the power amp nothing noted, but in the subwoofer the gain drops about 10dB.
Surely some stress happened in the flex outputs, but i only used in low volume by a few hours trying to figure out what's happening.

Don't do it in your home! :)

I'll try again when i get the fixed cables.

mike70

Fixed! Cables with the right configuration and now we're talking.
The sub have bass and the main channels with more transparency, better definition.

Bluetooth LDAC at 900kbps impressed me ... I thought it will be "so and so" ... wrong. Spotify subjectively sounds as with the raspberry pi with Spotify connect client.

hsertic

I am considering getting a Minidsp Flex/Digital as a device to get Dirac Live on Kef LS 50 Wireless II system - I plan to use Sonos Port as a streamer (and part of large Sonos home system installation), connected via coax to Flex/Digital.
Is it possible to use Flex/Digital in such a way - I would like Flex/Digital to output Dirac converted digital signal via coax cable to Kef active speakers.
Is there any better device for such task?

Many thanks in advance!

tomasai911

Can the miniDsp Flex be connected and work with the USB output from node 2021 version?? The specs look much better with miniDsp Flex and you can get Dirac Live Room correction which looks promising. Down side is digital input is resampled at 24bit/48Khz for dsp processing. Has anyone tried this combo??

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Can the miniDsp Flex be connected and work with the USB output from node 2021 version?? The specs look much better with miniDsp Flex and you can get Dirac Live Room correction which looks promising. Down side is digital input is resampled at 24bit/48Khz for dsp processing. Has anyone tried this combo??
The issue with using a streamer like the Bluesound Node 2i and connecting to the miniDSP Flex via USB is that you lose the ability to connect your MAC or PC for computer control. This makes real time PEQ adjustments and other functions unavailable. So you would be better off using TOSLINK or SPDIF.

If you are concerned about Flex's 48Khz / 32 bit Dirac processing, then you may consider the miniDSP SHD which is 96Khz / 32 bit. We believe that a properly implemented Dirac Live project provides game changing improvements which far outweigh a reduction in processing rate. This is especially true at 32 bits of resolution.

Deer Creek Audio is an Authorized miniDSP dealer.

Last edited:

tomasai911

The issue with using a streamer like the Bluesound Node 2i and connecting to the miniDSP Flex via USB is that you lose the ability to connect your MAC or PC for computer control. This makes real time PEQ adjustments and other functions unavailable. So you would be better off using TOSLINK or SPDIF.

If you are concerned about Flex's 48Khz / 32 bit Dirac processing, then you may consider the miniDSP SHD which is 96Khz / 32 bit. We believe that a properly implemented Dirac Live project provides games changing improvements which far outweigh a reduction in processing rate. This is especially true at 32 bits of resolution.

Deer Creek Audio is an Authorized miniDSP dealer.
Excellent!! Those were my thoughts too regarding any real world performance difference from the reduced sampling rate. I think keeping a wider bit level audio word width makes more sense to me. I am using an Apple TV with my bluesound node and it outputs lossless at 24bit/48khz mode and sounds incredibly good on my system. I mainly use Tidal Connect though and on masters titles, it also sounds really good but I don't know if most tracks are at 192khz sampling rate.

I would only need to do room correction only for initial setup with a laptop for a few days and then most likely leave it alone from then on.
But I think it looks like I should buy this unit instead of another dac like an smsl DO300 which has crazy good specs but no real end user dsp capability.

I use the subwoofer crossover in the bluesound node and I think I can definitely hear a difference with my speaker setup so I totally agree with you that Direc Live should really improve the total sound over the built in node subwoofer crossover even with less sampling rate needed for dsp based sound processing.

df00

Am I the only person who absolutely hates having to cycle through inputs?

I was seriously considering the flex for my second system until I discovered that unlike my 2x4HD, you can not learn a remote command for each input. In the FLEX you only get one "source next" assignment. That's really disappointing.

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 9.59.18 PM.png

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Am I the only person who absolutely hates having to cycle through inputs?

I was seriously considering the flex for my second system until I discovered that unlike my 2x4HD, you can not learn a remote command for each input. In the FLEX you only get one "source next" assignment. That's really disappointing.

View attachment 290301
If I had to switch between two inputs frequently, like once a day or more, it would probably drive me nuts. It's disappointing they don't offer discrete input commands, especially since it would have been such a low effort feature for them. Luckily in my desktop use it stays on one input almost exclusively, unless I'm testing something.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
interestingly enough, the Sofabaton U2 universal remote has a SHD profile pre-made where the default power on/off doesn't work but the colored buttons get sources assigned (only using 3 atm, the others are disabled on the Flex itself so 1 of the colored buttons is left unassigned)

sbu2.jpg

Joffy1780

You can also choose inputs directly when using Logitech Harmony remotes.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
If I had to switch between two inputs frequently, like once a day or more, it would probably drive me nuts. It's disappointing they don't offer discrete input commands, especially since it would have been such a low effort feature for them. Luckily in my desktop use it stays on one input almost exclusively, unless I'm testing something.
You can also select which inputs you whish to slip when scrolling, this is done in a menu "Customize Selection" in miniDSP Device Console

Top Bottom