• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 437 75.9%

• Total voters

JktHifi

I prefer listening music without any EQ or any other sound processing including sub woofer. And my setup for music is always stereo 2.0. It’s because I need to listen as original as possible from the record. No manipulation to the low and high frequency or what so ever.
I cast vote number 2.

JktHifi

@JktHifi contrary to what you may believe, using a subwoofer and room correction will bring you closer to the original sound of the mastering studio, not further away from it.
I think sub-woofer give louder low-freq. I don’t like.
And room correction will also manipulate, change the original music, such as lowering the mid/vocal, etc.

Do you find any microphone in live concert for room correction?

MY EARS ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THOSE MICROPHONE CORRECTION BLA BLA BLA.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
A proper setup will give you deeper bass extension, not louder bass.

And room correction will also manipulate, change the original music, such as lowering the mid/vocal, etc.
Room correction will correct frequency response distortion caused by your speakers and your listening environment.

Bot of these can give you a sound that more closely resembles the sound of a mastering studio.

JktHifi

A proper setup will give you deeper bass extension, not louder bass.

Room correction will correct frequency response distortion caused by your speakers and your listening environment.

Bot of these can give you a sound that more closely resembles the sound of a mastering studio.
Probably those are needed for not correct speakers/amp. As long as I can hear or seperate between several musical instruments from any song, it’s enough for me.

But for the TV or Home Theater or AVR, room corection and sub woofer are very important. YPAO from Yamaha is only found in home theater products.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Turn the sub down then haha.
But, seriously, it's like saying you don't want your speakers to go down to 20hz. If they did, they would be subject to the same room interaction as the subwoofer is at those frequencies.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Probably those are needed for not correct speakers/amp.
There's not a single speaker setup on earth that can't be further improved with DSP.

As long as I can hear or seperate between multiple musical instruments from any song, it’s enough for me.
That's quite the low bar you've set for yourself, but hey. It's your choice.

JktHifi

Turn the sub down then haha.
But, seriously, it's like saying you don't want your speakers to go down to 20hz. If they did, they would be subject to the same room interaction as the subwoofer is at those frequencies.
30 - 40Hz can be produced from the left or right speaker, no need for sub woofer. Below than 30 Hz will give you fatigue.

JktHifi

There's not a single speaker setup on earth that can't be further improved with DSP.

That's quite the low bar you've set for yourself, but hey. It's your choice.
My previous stereo setup can not seperate musical instruments clearly. It’s already 2 or 3 systems before.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He is trolling us or very seriously miss understanding just about most about how sound works .

Ones typical untreated listening room seriously fouls up the reproduction regardless of what your playback system is .
These problems are not small.

Room correction untangles some of the damage done . You migth need to correct the speakers too even if they are the best even the best passive speakers have idiosyncrasies and sometimes just different listening distance shifts the tonal balance.

Some rooms apart from the bass mess can be bright or dull too .

Or you find a perfectly suitable loudspeaker that works very well in your room , but it’s tonality is not to your liking :) what then ?

And then we have some of our recordings, due to inconsistent monitoring habits and trends over decades some of your music is not very well balanced it’s just how it’s is . Unless you use tone controls you have to put up with it as is or limited yourself to a handful of audiophile recordings.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What motive would you have to jump a tread at page 80 about a room correction product you don’t understand or want and not discuss the product at hand and it’s functions ?

JktHifi

What motive would you have to jump a tread at page 80 about a room correction product you don’t understand or want and not discuss the product at hand and it’s functions ?
He offered me room correction then I refused.

JktHifi

He is trolling us or very seriously miss understanding just about most about how sound works .

Ones typical untreated listening room seriously fouls up the reproduction regardless of what your playback system is .
These problems are not small.

Room correction untangles some of the damage done . You migth need to correct the speakers too even if they are the best even the best passive speakers have idiosyncrasies and sometimes just different listening distance shifts the tonal balance.

Some rooms apart from the bass mess can be bright or dull too .

Or you find a perfectly suitable loudspeaker that works very well in your room , but it’s tonality is not to your liking :) what then ?

And then we have some of our recordings, due to inconsistent monitoring habits and trends over decades some of your music is not very well balanced it’s just how it’s is . Unless you use tone controls you have to put up with it as is or limited yourself to a handful of audiophile recordings.
Room correction is already 20 years ago which is named as YPAO from Yamaha, found on home theater products, not stereo.

Joffy1780

30 - 40Hz can be produced from the left or right speaker...
Not nearly as well, or as cost effectively, as a subwoofer can.

Joffy1780

mike70

Everyone have certain level of knowledge and experience. Everyone knows if that is enough to have the final truth about certain topic, or an open mind to learn something new.

And that's all, is not possible to discuss with someone that have the truth.

And, generally, less knowledge brings more certitude.

MAB

Major Contributor
Room correction is already 20 years ago which is named as YPAO from Yamaha, found on home theater products, not stereo.
Oh, so home theater products are used in rooms, and stereo is not used in a room? Please explain!
Also, have you ever hooked a turntable up to an AVR? Just wondering if this violates some law of physics.

JktHifi

Oh, so home theater products are used in rooms, and stereo is not used in a room? Please explain!
Also, have you ever hooked a turntable up to an AVR? Just wondering if this violates some law of physics.
Both are in room. But you shouldn’t think that it will give stereo better in a room. It’s only a tools name. And I can not find that tools on stereo products, except this miniDSP.

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
Both are in room. But you shouldn’t think that it will give stereo better. It’s only a tools name. And I can not find that tools on stereo products, except this miniDSP.
It's just that everything you said in this thread is incorrect.
You misrepresent the details and benefits of DSP.
You don't understand subwoofers, or their operation, and acoustic advantages.
You incorrectly state that DSP is somehow for Home Theater. And misunderstand what Yamaha did and does.
What are you doing here?

Top Bottom