• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 436 76.0%

• Total voters

Blimcheck

That depends on your amplifier. There's NC250s built with SE inputs and some have balanced inputs. Which specific model NC250 do you have?
Audiophonics dual mono nc250, it has both solution

RHO

Major Contributor
OK. You have both SE and balanced inputs. If I had that amp I would definitely go for the balanced version. I don't think there's any disadvantages compared to SE. Only maybe the cables cost a bit more, but that should be well within reason. Buy decent ones but not expensive ones.
If you know how to solder, they are very easy to build yourself, to custom lengths with your favorite cable brand and aesthetics.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with @RHO, balanced for best result.

Also make sure your BT source has and uses one of the better codecs, like AptX or LDAC, again for best result.

Aricml

I don't know how many had been watching this like me, but the website has these available for order again in both balanced/unbalanced as well as the digital option.

vkhong

The website still shows out of stock, but my order from 1st of March just shipped. So keep an eye on stock, they might be there soon :)
Current price $495 + $30 shipping. It's a little pricey at $529. I may try and get a used unit (much) later!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Current price $495 + $30 shipping. It's a little pricey at $529. I may try and get a used unit (much) later!
If money is tight, maybe a 2x4HD will do?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The source is m iPhone
I looked it up.
Apple supports AAC and so does the MiniDSP Flex, so you are good.
Android users have more options with AptX and LDAC.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And what codec will the iPhone use to talk to the MiniDSP Flex? Either AptX, LDAC or AAC.

Since AAC is the only one supported by Apple, this will be used then. You iPhone takes the output from the Tidal app and reencodes it to AAC and then sends it to the MiniDSP Flex using BT.

Hope that makes sense now, if not just ask what's not clear, i'll try again :)

Blimcheck

And what codec will the iPhone use to talk to the MiniDSP Flex? Either AptX, LDAC or AAC.

Since AAC is the only one supported by Apple, this will be used then. You iPhone takes the output from the Tidal app and reencodes it to AAC and then sends it to the MiniDSP Flex using BT.

So and what is the hi fi solution?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blimcheck

I don’t loose quality during these converting?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm afraid you do. Such is the nature of bluetooth. It's an inferior mode of transport.

But i doubt it would be audible. If it is, get a proper streamer and hook it up to the either Toslink, SPDIF coax or USB later.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Probably. I had concerns about using AAC as my primary source, specifically the several conversion steps and upper limit of 24/48. I ended up going with a RPI as a streamer. Whether any of this is audible is debatable.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably. I had concerns about using AAC as my primary source, specifically the several conversion steps and upper limit of 24/48. I ended up going with a RPI as a streamer. Whether any of this is audible is debatable.
I was surprised to find I couldn't tell 128kb/s mp3 from cd quality in a blind test. AAC and the other BT codecs are streets ahead of 128MP3.

I very much doubt you'll hear the quality difference.

Top Bottom