• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MHT300 AV Receiver

chelgrian

Then, why no ALLM or VRR? Those are technically inherent HDMI 2.1 features.
Because HDMI licensing doesn't work like that, those features were first introduced in revision 2.1 of the HDMI specification however all such added features are optional and you are supposed to advertise support for specific features and explicitly forbidden from advertising support for a specific version of the spec, although this clause is routinely broken.

If you are aiming at home theatre there's no point in going beyond what is specified in 2.0b plus taking eARC from the 2.1 spec.

All the features in 2.1 are only relevant to gaming for the foreseeable future.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If Hi-Fi / home theater manufacturers actually cared about gamers, DisplayPort should definitely be on their priority list as well.
AVR of the yesteryears actually had VGA D-Sub or DVI for PC compatibility, but those connections had long been deprecated in the modern format world and was superseded by DP and is universally available on all late model GeForce/Radeon GPUs, but no modern AVR had them.
Is there any benefit of DP over HDMI? Assuming both at the latest version?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It is also true that you can use a 2.0 AVR and still have all the video techs by simply using an HDMI for audio only and another cable for display, so not a terrible problem to solve.

Is there any benefit of DP over HDMI? Assuming both at the latest version?
DP 2.0 is around double the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1.

No current GPU can get you on 120 frames at 4K (let alone 8K) without upsampling, so that massive bandwidth is still far from saturation.

OP
W
This weekend I had to find a new GPU as mine just died. I got one with DP 2.0, but I don't think there are monitors with that connector.
I assume you got the 7900XT/XTX? AFAIK, no GeForce cards come with DP 2.0 yet.

wseroyer

If Hi-Fi / home theater manufacturers actually cared about gamers, DisplayPort should definitely be on their priority list as well.
AVR of the yesteryears actually had VGA D-Sub or DVI for PC compatibility, but those connections had long been deprecated in the modern format world and was superseded by DP and is universally available on all late model GeForce/Radeon GPUs, but no modern AVR had them.
TV manufacturers need to start putting DisplayPorts on their TV's before AVR maker's will even begin to think about it. The problem with DisplayPort on a AVR besides the 80 Gbit per second requirement for DisplayPort 2.0 is it's not a requirement per the DisplayPort standard to carry audio, while it's true most desktop GPU's have a Audio channel built into them many laptops don't with dedicated graphics "like my Dell G7" don't. But I'm more or less agree with you I don't even think we should have HDMI We should just have DisplayPort It's far superior.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
News from the GPU just in case: the new 7900 series has a serious issue on the audio drivers. Windows cannot recognize Dolby or DTS App's and in my case, HDMI cannot output any sound to my AVR.

I don't know if any of you has AMD in there contact list, but it is quite a serious issue on their cards as many people use TV's as monitors or soundbars as speakers.

wseroyer

News from the GPU just in case: the new 7900 series has a serious issue on the audio drivers. Windows cannot recognize Dolby or DTS App's and in my case, HDMI cannot output any sound to my AVR.

I don't know if any of you has AMD in there contact list, but it is quite a serious issue on their cards as many people use TV's as monitors or soundbars as speakers.
The 7900 is has bugs, imagine my shock, this is why Nvidia is free to charge whatever they want for their cards now days. AMD always has crap like this happen, they just hand victories to Nvidia on a silver platter over the dumbest stuff.

I'm embedded in the Mcintosh world and this works for me. It has pre-outs to use my current F/R channel amplifier. It has the trigger / connections to communicate with my existing mcintosh gear without hassle. 7 channel is sufficient for me, I don't have a dedicated theater room to include so many additional speakers. More than 7 and I have issues with the wife. I also appreciate that the channels have full power rather than a cryptic 2 channel rating schema.

I was previously planning to buy a pre and an additional mcintosh 5 channel amplifier, this is possibly a better solution for me. I understand this may not be the opinion or application for most people here, but I'm probably more their target audience.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is, actually!

Seriously, look at the back panel - it has jumpered preout/main in loops. That’s unique in today’s market. You can use the internal amps for any channel as a result.
Why do this with hardware though? My Anthem does all this in software to assign any amp to any channel. Lots of great capabilities and much more appealing modern displays available in much cheaper AVRs due modern software operating systems. Also at this price point I'd expect upgradability and expandability. I would want to know I can get HDMI boards swapped out and expansion slots for future proofing.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do this with hardware though? My Anthem does all this in software to assign any amp to any channel.
So you can use external processing in addition to the internal stuff.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you can use external processing in addition to the internal stuff.
I see, could you explain more? It would be analog out right?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, could you explain more? It would be analog out right?
You could, for example, go analog out to an EQ (miniDSP, BSS, QSys, etc.) and apply full-range EQ based on anechoic/Klippel measurements (such as found here) and tap into the internal amps rather than needing a third box,

Yes, analog out and analog back in - so people who are too afraid an extra conversion loop to get better sound need not apply.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm embedded in the Mcintosh world and this works for me. It has pre-outs to use my current F/R channel amplifier. It has the trigger / connections to communicate with my existing mcintosh gear without hassle. 7 channel is sufficient for me, I don't have a dedicated theater room to include so many additional speakers. More than 7 and I have issues with the wife. I also appreciate that the channels have full power rather than a cryptic 2 channel rating schema.

I was previously planning to buy a pre and an additional mcintosh 5 channel amplifier, this is possibly a better solution for me. I understand this may not be the opinion or application for most people here, but I'm probably more their target audience.
The good thing about this unit is that it can process up to 11 channels, hence, if you want to experiment with height channels, it is as easy as adding the amps you already have. Atmos height speakers can be quite nimble, so the option is there.

The amps inside are probably Hypex, so you´ll have a good amplification with them.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The good thing about this unit is that it can process up to 11 channels, hence, if you want to experiment with height channels, it is as easy as adding the amps you already have. Atmos height speakers can be quite nimble, so the option is there.

The amps inside are probably Hypex, so you´ll have a good amplification with them.
Last week I sent support an email asking what the amplification and if they were Hypex based and if so, which module. No reply As of yet.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I said Hypex becaus their class D amps are Hypex NC500 as shown in these forums. But for this model, I got the same certainty as you...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Last week I sent support an email asking what the amplification and if they were Hypex based and if so, which module. No reply As of yet.
I can't imagine they're eager to share that info... but eventually someone in the field with a screwdriver will get within arm's reach (or is that arms' reach, plural possessive?) of one -- and we'll find out.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't imagine they're eager to share that info... but eventually someone in the field with a screwdriver will get within arm's reach (or is that arms' reach, plural possessive?) of one -- and we'll find out.
I had asked about the modules in one of their other class d amps and I did get a reply back. Not saying they will on this one, but they could. If it is NC252 or similiar based amp, it might first for such a module to be in a receiver.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why do this with hardware though? My Anthem does all this in software to assign any amp to any channel. Lots of great capabilities and much more appealing modern displays available in much cheaper AVRs due modern software operating systems. Also at this price point I'd expect upgradability and expandability. I would want to know I can get HDMI boards swapped out and expansion slots for future proofing.
Totally disagree. Jumpered pre/amp section to me shows me that they're confident in the amp section being capable of whatever you may want to use it for. Probably not a popular POV.

Top Bottom