• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MHT300 AV Receiver

prerich

much more appealing modern displays available in much cheaper AVRs due modern software operating systems.
You don't understand...the McIntosh look is part of it's ecosystem. It jumps out and says I'm a McIntosh. McIntosh tried a more modern display, and it kinda failed (as people preferred the 207 over the 8207 but they're the same amp...one has a classic display and the other a modern one). It's a McIntosh owner thing....and no...they're not trying to sell inexpensive goods. They have a clientele that is based on its look maybe even more than its performance...the look it a major part of its resale value.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally disagree. Jumpered pre/amp section to me shows me that they're confident in the amp section being capable of whatever you may want to use it for. Probably not a popular POV.
So you are saying it give the flexibility to use it as an input directly to the amplifiers so it can be treated as just an amplifier bypassing the entire pre amp section if desired? Thanks, that was what I didn't understand. I can see the benefit of that. I wish some of my old AVRs had a feature like that so I could resurrect them as outboard amps for cobbling together a secondary or tertiary listening room from existing parts I have laying around.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't understand...the McIntosh look is part of it's ecosystem. It jumps out and says I'm a McIntosh. McIntosh tried a more modern display, and it kinda failed (as people preferred the 207 over the 8207 but they're the same amp...one has a classic display and the other a modern one). It's a McIntosh owner thing....and no...they're not trying to sell inexpensive goods. They have a clientele that is based on its look maybe even more than its performance...the look it a major part of its resale value.
I understand the slick McIntosh gloss black and blue/green lighting analog design esthetic. I am saying that digital display panel from 1985 ain't it.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I understand the slick McIntosh gloss black and blue/green lighting analog design esthetic. I am saying that digital display panel from 1985 ain't it.
I'm the same way with Rotel and Michi. Love the classic look of my Rotel A14 MKII, but the calculator-era screen leaves much to be desired. The Michi X3, on the other hand, has a fantastic display with spectrum analyzer, but I actually find the chassis design itself a bit boring.

It is it and has been in use on varying McIntosh products for along time... My C2700 has it and I love it. This will perfectly match and fit into an existing McIntosh stack.

It's clearly not for you and that is ok.

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 3.41.45 PM.png

prerich

Look at all of their receivers and prepros...all of them have that look. You change too drastically in McIntosh - the sellout police come out in full riot gear, it doesn't help that they were recently bought by a new holding. You saw what changing too drastically did to Thiel....and the newer speakers measured better. They didn't last 3 years if I'm not mistaken.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I thought those guys (^^^) were looking for computer software pirates... or is it people making raincoat knockoffs...
:cool:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The power rating with all channels driven 20-20 is impressive.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Any word on the version of Dirac it implements and if there´s a chance to upgrade it (to DLBC, that is)?

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any word on the version of Dirac it implements and if there´s a chance to upgrade it (to DLBC, that is)?
There's no mention of DLBC on the McIntosh site, and no reference to the receiver in Dirac's online store, so I would take that to mean that Dirac Live is implemented in the AVR and it is not upgradable to DLBC.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Since fair is fair, I'd like to add that on other forums (AVS, I think, but I'm not sure), a participant mentioned that this AVR will be able to use DLBC. The information, according to the participant, come from McIntosh itself.

@Flak was also there, so he may be the person to confirm it.

RenPa

Since fair is fair, I'd like to add that on other forums (AVS, I think, but I'm not sure), a participant mentioned that this AVR will be able to use DLBC. The information, according to the participant, come from McIntosh itself.

@Flak was also there, so he may be the person to confirm it.
I would be very interested to know if it is DLBC available.

DrStranger

Has anyone seen any reviews of this anywhere? I searched, no luck. Also, is it so that McIntosh does not have a app to remote control?

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Andrew Robinson is obviously not doing the kind of reviews that ASR members are usually looking for, but I came across his review of this McIntosh a couple of days ago and it prompted me to look for this thread.

He claims that the Hypex amps make bullets zinging by and explosions etc sound 'flat' compared with class AB receivers like the Emotiva MR1L or the new Sony ones. Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but I would be interested in an ASR analysis to determine whether there's anything in it (other than the obvious, like level-matching, faulty memory etc).

Top Bottom