• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I just got home from Adorama with my new shiny headphones :)

Listening right now connected to Schiit heresy. So far I am very, very happy. My experience is much more limited then a lot of people here but from all the headphones I ever had these are definitely the best. The closest comparison from the cans I had/have would be Denon ah-d5000 - but where Denon has a base hump Elegia does not while still extending very low in frequency and having more slam, these also produce a lot more detail then denon. Very balanced sound with great detail, speed and separation. More detail then I get from sure se535 or what I remember getting from Grado 325.

So unless you tent to like overly warm headphones with rolled of treble I think you will be very happy.

Got mine yesterday. You were right about the Grado comparison in that I haven't been this excited about how a headphone sounds for classic and progressive rock since my SR225. Guitar sounds awesome! Now I have better bass extension and bass quality, and better comfort, with less listening fatigue than with Grados. Only had to add a couple of db of bass in the midbass and upper sub bass to get it to the bass response I want. What a great headphone for the price.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AlexFNYC

Try also add a boost between 3kHz and 6kHz, going off the measurement I posted in #1136.

Oratory’s measurements along with recommended EQ can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ialbitfdqmx2jr4/Focal Elegia.pdf?dl=0
Do note it seems his measured response is a bit different from Crinacles.

Wow - thank you for that PDF! Thats super helpful!

My only question about preamp gain notation -7.3db - is that just the summary of the changes?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow - thank you for that PDF! Thats super helpful!

My only question about preamp gain notation -7.3db - is that just the summary of the changes?
It is what you should set your preamp to in the EQ, since you are adding boosts, you could run into clipping, setting this gain adjustment would make sure that doesn’t happen.

At least that’s my understating.

AlexFNYC

It is what you should set your preamp to in the EQ, since you are adding boosts, you could run into clipping, setting this gain adjustment would make sure that doesn’t happen.

At least that’s my understating.

So I guess the same as "headroom management" in Roon...

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
JBL has the Studio 530 s stand mount horn speakers on sale again at $298 a pair shipped for US customers.

Matching Studio 550P Subwoofer is $190 shipped.

Matching Studio 520c center channel is at $150. and the 590 large floor standers are also half priced.

Of note is that these appear to be new and not the refurbished ones that are frequently on sale.
Very tempted to get a pair of those subwoofers. 190 dollars shipped for a well-built sub with an F3 of 27hz seems hard to pass up. Wish I could find a good review of it online.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of note is that these appear to be new and not the refurbished ones that are frequently on sale.
Very tempted to get a pair of those subwoofers. 190 dollars shipped for a well-built sub with an F3 of 27hz seems hard to pass up. Wish I could find a good review of it online.

The photos of the driver in this quick review do make it seem like it could be an impressive sub for the money https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/jbl-studio-550p-10-inch-subwoofer-quick-review.108994/

Gatordaddy

Forum Donor
The photos of the driver in this quick review do make it seem like it could be an impressive sub for the money https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/jbl-studio-550p-10-inch-subwoofer-quick-review.108994/

Between the quality of the driver and the quality of the cabinets I decided to spring on a pair. The SB12 I bought off craigslist is sweet but I really don't have a reasonable location to place it. With room gain it should be sufficient for music. I won't really miss the subsonic extension since that thing rattles my windows before producing a noticeable LFE effect. I wonder how much performance I'm giving up compared to the RSL subs I was planning on.

A reddit thread was whining about the subs humming, and people have complained about JBLs consumer sub plate amps going out as well. But if something does go wrong it wouldn't be difficult to replace the plate amp.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Top Bottom