• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I sent a PM to Alan on another forum. His reply:

"Pricing will be the same as the current version. $6k AUD. The exchange rate is playing in our favour with the US at the moment.

We do have a small stock of the paper driver so will be offering a discount to clear that stock very soon. The older version of the speaker is still exceptional.

So yes, please feel free to let them know. "

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Performance is a credit to Alan’s meticulous work on this. I’ve yet to see a manufacturer integrate the purifi woofer elegantly from an aesthetic point of view though. The audio cognoscenti will too busy drooling all over the drivers to notice of course.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very nice measurements, probably as good as it gets.
Still, this is version 3 or 4 of this speaker?

Penelinfi

Performance is a credit to Alan’s meticulous work on this. I’ve yet to see a manufacturer integrate the purifi woofer elegantly from an aesthetic point of view though. The audio cognoscenti will too busy drooling all over the drivers to notice of course.
Put a grill over it I guess. As some people will dislike the surround no matter what.

There being a dustcap on the aluminium version is less elegant than the paper version imo.
I like raw drivers but also don't like them to get dusty, so I'd probably get grills made up of some sort.

Penelinfi

Any pricing?

Looks as though March decided to tradeoff sensitivity to get better low end extension.
I feel like I'd prefer this as I hardly ever push even smaller drivers to the max. So 95% of my normal listening could be satisfied by such design.
I'd still add subs for that feeling you get from lots of surface area at very low frequencies

JSmith

Master Contributor
Next step Alan is to make some nice floorstanders with similar measurements... these new Sointuva's are quite the achievement though for sure, nicely done. :)

JSmith

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Next step Alan is to make some nice floorstanders with similar measurements... these new Sointuva's are quite the achievement though for sure, nicely done. :)

JSmith

He has the Ukkonen floorstander. Agree it would be good to see how well it measures too…

Do not like the dual passive radiators taking up most of the back on this one. They are too easily damaged. For the price, would hope Purifi might make some from aluminum rather than paper. With a bit of increase in volume, could have a bass reflex version and would be less expensive to make.:cool:

p.s. Should have looked looked before posting, Purifi now does offer a (pricey) 6.5 aluminum passive radiator. Checking with Purifi on those.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
About the Ukkonen towers he wrote me:

"Frequency Response
32Hz to 19kHz+- 1.5dB

F3 – 28Hz

F6 – 24Hz

F10 – 22Hz

Waiting for Klippel data but we already know from our testing its going to be like the Sointuva. It nails all the relevant parameters, frequency response, sound power, DI and EIRP. Its is more sensitive, can handle more power and will go louder with even less distortion. Bass extension is flat to about 50Hz and extends into the 20Hz range (F3 at 28Hz)."

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty good tradeoff if power handling is good and you happen to sell high power amps.
Not only his, I would be using my NCx500 from another brand. Nowadays clean and high power class D amps are accessible. If tons of clean power was expensive and a constraint before, now it is not anymore. Designing speakers accordingly makes a lot of sense to me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanted to share that I have decided to order a pair of Sointuva AWG. :)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This new version has truly abysmal sensitivity, think about it for a moment, if you would like to playback a high dynamic range recording of a symphony at realistic levels sitting lets say 2.5m away you... can't, the speaker simply wont take the monstrous power required. You pay 4k USD for a passive speaker that can only menage peaks in small room at very close listening distances given you have a very good amp. This lack of value per spl capabality alone would kill it for me even if it could work in my space.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My amp is a dual mono NCx500 putting 700W into 4/2 ohms. Sointuva doesn't stand a chance lol. :D

samysound

This new version has truly abysmal sensitivity, think about it for a moment, if you would like to playback a high dynamic range recording of a symphony at realistic levels sitting lets say 2.5m away you... can't, the speaker simply wont take the monstrous power required. You pay 4k USD for a passive speaker that can only menage peaks in small room at very close listening distances given you have a very good amp. This lack of value per spl capabality alone would kill it for me even if it could work in my space.
What is the rated sensitivity for the new version? I didnt see it stated anywhere. March website states 83.5 dB @ 2.83V @ 1 m but this looks like for the old version

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
What is the rated sensitivity for the new version? I didnt see it stated anywhere. March website states 83.5 dB @ 2.83V @ 1 m but this looks like for the old version
See post 214, the graph suggests about 82/83 ish.

JSmith

Master Contributor
He has the Ukkonen floorstander.
Ah, clearly I missed this thread/news and it has been a while since I viewed his site, thanks for the update;

JSmith

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Erin measured an older version of the Sointuva (meanwhile there are several versions of the LS). The sensitivity of the version Erin measured is 82.6dB (avg. 100Hz-1kHz for 2.83V measured at 1m) with an f3/f6 of 43.9/36.6Hz - see spinorama.org data section of the speaker.

Since the new version is tuned lower, its sensitivity is lower. According to the measurements published here in the thread rather at 81-82dB (avg. [email protected]@1m).
1692955138134.png
But it is perfectly normal that such a low-tuned LS with only one 6.5'' woofer has a low sensitivity - for this you don't need a subwoofer at low SPL.
If you don't have a need for very high sound pressure levels, then you get a SOTA speaker.

Only for the use as near field monitor one should wait until the vertical frequency response measurements are published, because to achieve the linear SP and PIR response in the range of the crossover frequency one has to use some kind of "constant power filter" (typical would be Butterworth 3rd order or not so typical a Linkwitz-Riley 4th order (LR4) allpass filter with shifted phase,...), which usually leads to somewhat wavier vertical frequency responses around the crossover frequency than with typical allpass filters like LR4.
In simple terms, the vertical frequency responses are "all over the place" in the crossover frequency range, but provide relatively linear vertical sound power on average.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin measured an older version of the Sointuva (meanwhile there are several versions of the LS). The sensitivity of the version Erin measured is 82.6dB (avg. 100Hz-1kHz for 2.83V measured at 1m) with an f3/f6 of 43.9/36.6Hz - see spinorama.org data section of the speaker.

Since the new version is tuned lower, its sensitivity is lower. According to the measurements published here in the thread rather at 81-82dB (avg. [email protected]@1m).
View attachment 307759
But it is perfectly normal that such a low-tuned LS with only one 6.5'' woofer has a low sensitivity - for this you don't need a subwoofer at low SPL.
If you don't have a need for very high sound pressure levels, then you get a SOTA speaker.

Only for the use as near field monitor one should wait until the vertical frequency response measurements are published, because to achieve the linear SP and PIR response in the range of the crossover frequency one has to use some kind of "constant power filter" (typical would be Butterworth 3rd order or not so typical a Linkwitz-Riley 4th order (LR4) allpass filter with shifted phase,...), which usually leads to somewhat wavier vertical frequency responses around the crossover frequency than with typical allpass filters like LR4.
In simple terms, the vertical frequency responses are "all over the place" in the crossover frequency range, but provide relatively linear vertical sound power on average.

Generally agree here as my Purifi SPKs are not much more sensitive and have no issue with them in a medium size room with a Buckeye NCx500 amp. If a larger room or home theater app, then a subwoofer or two would be best.:)

Holmz

Major Contributor

Well it pushed the volume to the point where one cannot hold a conversation. How loud doi you want it?
It gets to 100-105 dB(A) with the amps.

The only drawback is that the distortion is low with those drivers, so it doesn’t sound as Lou’s as it is.
But that is a drawback I would suffer.

If only he would sell a pair with the XO external, and using the wood I previously bought…

Top Bottom