• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva

Holmz

Major Contributor
Brad,

Don’t forget we have Spock’s younger brother. Whom is 120% Vulcan but does a similar face gesture just to taunt Spock!!!

ezgif-2-73162c9083a8.gif

Spock was 1/2 Vulcan, so I get that meant a single eyebrow for Spock?

Holmz

Major Contributor
I have not bought speakers new in… well… let me count the decades.

But I committed to a bit of a project this week.
  • Stumbled upon a piece Tasmanian myrtle
  • Alan is graciously allowing me to try a set without the passive XO.
Erin’s test had them rating high, so they at should be no worse as an active-XO set.
(The worst that can happen is that they get the passive XO outboard from the speaker.)
And the passive XO version seemed pretty to get the olive score of 6.something. So it is not like there is much deviation from optimal.
They probably do not need more headroom which a bi-amp would give, as they already effortlessly play too loud to hold conversation.

Who are the active-XO and bi-amped members that can offer some advice?
  • I have a pair of FA502s which I can use (They eventuallly will be ending in subwoofer boxes)
    • I’ll likely use these to do ythen DSP part, unless there are some good reasons to start with something else?
  • And I have an APL DSP which I could use.
    • Which is FIR based
  • Are there some other DSPs to consider for this?
    • I’ll want to end up with good step function response and impulse response, in addition to the FR.
    • And I can always use something like “room perfect” to beat the room into some submission

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Holmz

Major Contributor

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a great speaker. My guess is that March Audio won’t send one to Amir to measure, unfortunately. I’ll check out Erin’s video.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like that Octo is solely doing DAC, and the filtering is done on the computer.
I have some reading to do, and Octo is showing no DAC8s in stock.
But I can work my way through it.

Just for your info;

I wrote here and here;
- Information exchange is in progress after this post on this remote thread regarding FOCUSRITE Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen (and 3rd gen) as well as MOTU UltraLite Mk5; it looks both of them support simultaneous sync 10-channel DAC processes: #449

Holmz

Major Contributor
Looks like a great speaker. My guess is that March Audio won’t send one to Amir to measure, unfortunately. I’ll check out Erin’s video.

(I get the nuance of the comment…)

But what is the difference between Amir and Erin?
Both names are 4 letters long, and two of letters are the same, and they both “rock a Klippel”.
If the Klippel was not a repeatable measuring tool, then they both made a mistake.

I have actually sent a speaker to Amir to measure.
And I patreon’ise Erin.

I have equal confidence in both of them doing reviews.
And I believe that they compare notes and techniques.
But it is also entirely possible that their mics and calibration sound be some fraction of a dB off and the difference between could (maybe) be a dB somewhere.

(Likely it is better than my ears do it)

When I first heard them I thought, “These are really nice.”
Then later that day I thought, “Holmz you moron, you are totally biased towards the driver and design… it is mostly in your mind. Wait for some measurements.”

I already have some good speakers, my first set in fact.

So this is new ground for me… and I would not have likely made a swap without understanding both the speakers from measurements that Erin did
These will likely be doing digital front end, Class-D, and sort of barebones.

And the legacy system doing a combo of 5.1 and 2.1.analogue … Amir did the measurements on its center channel.
How could I not like, and appreciate, both of the them doing this sort of work?

Any past communication problems, are not present in the Klipple measurements, nor in the sound.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(I get the nuance of the comment…)
No nuance intended. I just know that Alan is no longer a member here for whatever reason and figured he wouldn’t send equipment here to be measured.

Holmz

Major Contributor
No nuance intended.
….

Yeah I work with a bunch of engineers, and most are pretty smart.
A lot has strong opinions, and can be passionate to the point of being difficult to work with.
(But HH, the Dali Lama, for instance, is not an engineer… Nor are the HR ladies.)

I was asking a colleague about a vexing fellow I have not met, and he said, “He is a lot like you.”
I said, “oh _uck.” :facepalm:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I work with a bunch of engineers, and most are pretty smart.
A lot has strong opinions, and can be passionate to the point of being difficult to work with.
(But HH, the Dali Lama, for instance, is not an engineer… Nor are the HR ladies.)

I was asking a colleague about a vexing fellow I have not met, and he said, “He is a lot like you.”
I said, “oh _uck.” :facepalm:
Understood! ;)

Holmz

Major Contributor
Understood! ;)

In any case they sounded good.

It was not surprising… or maybe I am surprised that my ears thought that they sounded good, and then the measurements confirmed it.
(I do not trust my eyes and emotions to be rational.)

But it is hard to both hear it, and see the measurements, and not think… “Crickey!…., these things ARE kind of special.”

samysound

There is little information out there about this speaker so far from people that own them so I thought I'd start a thread.

I just received my Sointuva's today and I'm extremely pleased with them.

I was looking for a speaker that could go down low, have a flatter frequency response than my current speakers, and had solid wood option.

As I don't currently have a measurement mic, any impressions I give are purely my subjective opinion and would mainly be based on how I remember my old speakers (Tannoy Precision 6.2) sounded.

I got the Sointuva's in Black Butt wood and pictures just don't do them justice, but one is below. Not sure how much they weight, but it's more than I thought they would. The build quality is extremely high.

View attachment 149681

Versus my Tannoy's the Sointuva's definitely sound more linear to me across the whole frequency range, this stands out more in the bass frequencies that I had previously thought were room modes (certain frequencies were much louder than others and some seemed to cause vibration in the floor). Higher frequencies appear to be more extended too, with drum symbols standing out more.

Bass goes low and is well controlled, they go as low as my Tannoy's (or perhaps lower) but are half the size.

Clarity seems improved versus the Tannoy's too, perhaps this is down the low distortion of the Purifi drivers used.

Overall very happy.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Hi, how do you like those tripod stands? are they stable or easily tipped?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's refresh this thread with news from Alan March posted on Facebook.

"Just wanted to share the Klippel test results from our newly updated Sointuva AWG speaker.
Now using the Purifi Aluminium 6.5" woofer.
Improved frequency response flatness and low frequency extension. Super smooth sound power, early reflections and directivity index. Reduced distortion.
FR 75Hz to 17.5kHz = +- 1.2dB
F3 = 37Hz
F6 = 33Hz
F10 = 30Hz"

"(...) testing performed Warkwyn in the USA. Many thanks to Jason and Kent."

369258429_318135490778089_983709865625047565_n.jpg

367483355_318143700777268_6607360294033767129_n.jpg

369528835_318143784110593_93498019756501807_n.jpg

@pierre

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

"Just wanted to share the Klippel test results from our newly updated Sointuva AWG speaker.
Improved frequency response flatness and low frequency extension. Super smooth sound power, early reflections and directivity index. Reduced distortion.
F3 = 37Hz
F6 = 33Hz
F10 = 30Hz"

View attachment 307240

View attachment 307239

View attachment 307241

Any pricing?

Looks as though March decided to tradeoff sensitivity to get better low end extension.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pricing not disclosed yet. The previous model WG is for USD $3,647.68. The new Aluminum woofers are +40 euros more each woofer on Soundimports. So component price should be lower for OEMs. So end product probably closer to 4k usd.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

F3 = 37Hz
F6 = 33Hz
F10 = 30Hz"

View attachment 307240

View attachment 307239

View attachment 307241
Wow. That’s pretty close to ruler flat and with almost perfect directivity to boot

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were to buy new speakers today, this would be my choice. Amazing!

Last edited:

samysound

If I were to buy new speakers today, this would be my choice. Amazing!
The cabinet options + performance make these a great choice. I have an earlier pair built in birch ply that came out really nice.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

F3 = 37Hz
F6 = 33Hz
F10 = 30Hz"

View attachment 307240

View attachment 307239

View attachment 307241
Wowowow! That very nice graphing for those speakers. Amazing.

Top Bottom