• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

is there a point to floorstanders with 3" drivers??? Tannoy HTS 201

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

here's a pic

specs:

HTS Tower
Recommended amplifier power (Watts RMS)25 – 100
Sensitivity (2.83 Volts @ 1m)88dB
Nominal Impedance (Ohms)6
Frequency response (-6dB)80Hz – 40kHz
High frequency19mm (3/4”) titanium WideBand™ dome, with neodymium magnet system
Low frequencyLF: 2 x 75mm (3”) paper cone
Magnetic shieldingYes
Crossover Frequency3kHz
Weight6.2kg (13.7lbs)
Dimensions H x W x D904mm x 106mm x 167mm (35.6” x 4.2” x 6.6”)
Dimensions H x W x D (including grille and plinth)922mm x 179mm x 225mm (36.3” x 7.1” x 8.9”)
FinishGloss Black

now I get that Tannoy wants to sell this as a 5.1 kit and as a whole it probalby works ok and especially if they use the same 3" driver on all speakers

but i can only imagine that a set of floorstanders with alleged 80-40kHz would be beaten by mean bookshelfs and that they are 'towers' only for aesthetics? and that wood is probalby cheaper than stands???

staticV3

Master Contributor
A bookshelf speaker with the same width and depth as those towers would likely not play nearly as deep, nor loud.

If the aim was a slim profile with reasonable low frequency extension, then this sort of form factor seems pretty sensible to me.

Last edited:

Penelinfi

For the average person who only uses a couple of watts most of the time, it would work well for either getting a bit more bass or just suspending the speakers. Sometimes those towers don't even use the whole volume as enclosure.
I've had some Yamaha towers with 2.5 inch drivers and a tweeter. They sounded not too bad all things considered.

Top Bottom