• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 installed

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know. I think that everyone must clear his mind to understand if he really need a new receiver and what he need.
I have an old Pre-amp, analog class A, I already have 9 channels in 2 power amplifiers, so I need more a pre or a receiver if I want to change my 7 channel ADCom. But there isn't a good pre as cheap as some receiver.
All the gears are more expensive than last generation, so the choice is important.
My 0.1 cent opinon
100% - if you have 2 external amps, the RZ50 is a great choice as it's half the price of the cheapest AVP on Crutchfield's website and you get full DIRAC.

Even with a 5 channel and 7 channel, you could add an Emotiva 7 channel amp (90w x7) for $700 or an Outlaw Model 7000 (130w) for $1,000 and it's still competitive with the Cinema 50 in the US. $2,300 and $2,600 vs $2,500.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
100% - if you have 2 external amps, the RZ50 is a great choice as it's half the price of the cheapest AVP on Crutchfield's website and you get full DIRAC.

Even with a 5 channel and 7 channel, you could add an Emotiva 7 channel amp (90w x7) for $700 or an Outlaw Model 7000 (130w) for $1,000 and it's still competitive with the Cinema 50 in the US. $2,300 and $2,600 vs $2,500.

I would agree if one plans on getting DLBC, the RZ50 can be upgraded to DLBC right? If not, I would say no thanks, stick with Denon or Marantz.

ArturoKiwi

I would agree if one plans on getting DLBC, the RZ50 can be upgraded to DLBC right? If not, I would say no thanks, stick with Denon or Marantz.
It dependes on two factors:
1) Do I need or want to upgrade to DLBC?
2) Do I want to spend so much money?
Because, for what I read, if I'll buy a D+M (more expensive) than I need to spend 349$ for Dirac Full Bandwidth + 499$ for DLBC = 848$
How much will you spend if you'll buy a RZ50 + MiniDSP? And will I obtain audible differences?

techsamurai

If you have just 1 sub, do you need DLBC? Doesn't it handle 20hz-20khz?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have just 1 sub, do you need DLBC? Doesn't it handle 20hz-20khz?

Even just one sub, DLBC should be of benefit because it will integrate the mains with the sub better. In my experience, without DLBC, Audyssey SubEQ HT actually seems more effective in smoothing the deep bass range, so I believe it does time align/integrate the mains with the sub. Dirac apparently does not do that without DLBC.

ArturoKiwi

So every D+M buyer have to know that they must add 849$ to their receiver street price.

techsamurai

Even just one sub, DLBC should be of benefit because it will integrate the mains with the sub better. In my experience, without DLBC, Audyssey SubEQ HT actually seems more effective in smoothing the deep bass range, so I believe it does time align/integrate the mains with the sub. Dirac apparently does not do that without DLBC.

I don't get this - how can Dirac not integrate 1 sub fully? It's just silly. I could understand $99 and I still think it's exorbitant as that's the cost for a license of Windows 11 Pro. This is a 1 time setup for equalization. :)

Now we have to spend $350 for a license to integrate 1 sub? And someone integrating 4 is just paying $500?

This is just getting totally out of hand. Let's hope Sony's Spatial Audio and calibration works like a charm, sells like hotcakes, and everyone gets off their high horse.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get this - how can Dirac not integrate 1 sub fully? It's just silly. I could understand $99 and I still think it's exorbitant as that's the cost for a license of Windows 11 Pro. This is a 1 time setup for equalization. :)

Now we have to spend $350 for a license to integrate 1 sub? And someone integrating 4 is just paying $500?

This is just getting totally out of hand. Let's hope Sony's Spatial Audio and calibration works like a charm, sells like hotcakes, and everyone gets off their high horse.
I guess here "fully" would require phase correction. Even for 1 sub, you need DLBC to phase match the sun with the full range main speakers.

techsamurai

I guess here "fully" would require phase correction. Even for 1 sub, you need DLBC to phase match the sun with the full range main speakers.

What if you cross over at 40 or 50hz and don't use 20hz on your speakers? Is it necessary to use DLBC? It's not like my surround bookshelves or my center will be playing 30hz. Bass is great but Dirac should just integrate it for 1 sub.

I think they made a mistake charging $349 for 1 sub (if anything) - no one is going to try this without a perlisten single sub and no person with a perlisten sub will just have one Perlisten sub so it's a catch-22 :) The only people that will use this are people with multiple subs. They should be getting people to buy a $50 license for 1 sub, see the value (if any), and if they get multiple subs, then upgrade and pay $500.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What if you cross over at 40 or 50hz and don't use 20hz on your speakers? Is it necessary to use DLBC? It's not like my surround bookshelves or my center will be playing 30hz. Bass is great but Dirac should just integrate it for 1 sub.

I think they made a mistake charging $349 for 1 sub (if anything) - no one is going to try this without a perlisten single sub and no person with a perlisten sub will just have one Perlisten sub so it's a catch-22 :) The only people that will use this are people with multiple subs. They should be getting people to buy a $50 license for 1 sub, see the value (if any), and if they get multiple subs, then upgrade and pay $500.

Take a look of what they say about single sub in the link I posted earlier:

Building on the strengths of the existing Dirac Live room correction solution, Dirac Live Bass Control introduces an automated method for controlling the bass characteristics of a sound system at multiple listening locations. The solution comes in two versions:

1. Dirac Live Bass Control Single Subwoofer adds automatic calibration and filter adjustments for a single subwoofer towards the full-range speakers it supports.

So yes it is more about full-range speakers capable of deep bass. I think your point is valid but I suspect DLBC would benefit from 80 Hz (may be even 90 Hz to lesser extent) and below. So satellites and small bookshelves are probably fine without it. Would like to hear from @Flak so we don't have to speculate.

Thrill Killer

Wouldn't REW work too? The guy in the vidyo was saying that the dirac would be done on a laptop with mic attached. The measurements are taken. The put into a profile on the avr. Also said you could A/B between Audyssey and Dirac as loaded profiles. Can this be done with rew instead of dirac?

joeliu2003

Id appreciate it! Also - what does the «info»-button do? Does it show an overlay over whatever source you are displaying or does it completely change the screen?

Just following up on this - yes the info button displays as an overlay onscreen. Doesn’t completely change the screen. Works great
And shows useful info about channels of input source and processing type and active output speakers. I use it often

LouB

Was thinking of buying a PM8006 for 2 channel & keep my 9 year old Yamaha A/V amp for home theater. But now thinking maybe just getting the Cinema 50 ? I'm assuming the 50 will sound every bit as good (probably better with room correction) as the PM8006. For those that have the 50 is there manual EQ like a bass & treble function ? And how do like it for music only as that will be my priority of it's performance.

Helical

But now thinking maybe just getting the Cinema 50 ? I'm assuming the 50 will sound every bit as good (probably better with room correction) as the PM8006. For those that have the 50 is there manual EQ like a bass & treble function ? And how do like it for music only as that will be my priority of it's performance.
I recently got my Cinema 50. You have tone controls like you describe when room correction is disabled, although via the on-screen menu. I’m using preouts into active speakers so I cannot comment on the amplifier section. If it’s powerful enough to drive your speakers then I believe you should be getting better fidelity with the C50 over a 2ch amp because of the room correction. It’s my view that you really need bass correction for proper sound reproduction.

LouB

I recently got my Cinema 50. You have tone controls like you describe when room correction is disabled, although via the on-screen menu. I’m using preouts into active speakers so I cannot comment on the amplifier section. If it’s powerful enough to drive your speakers then I believe you should be getting better fidelity with the C50 over a 2ch amp because of the room correction. It’s my view that you really need bass correction for proper sound reproduction.
Thanks for the reply, I agree the room correction on the 5will get better sound than a PM8006 without it. But after reading this thread, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marantz-cinema-50-avr-review.40605/
There are few guys there saying they upgraded there AV amp with the 50 & really didn't notice any sound difference or improvement over there older amp. So if that's the case I'm thinking to just keep on using my Yamaha AV amp for home theater & get the PM8006 for 2 channel music and save a grand. My Yamaha sounds great with all video no complaints running 5.1 speaker set up, but it sucks for 2 channel music.

Zeb

Has anyone been successful in using HEOS to play higher than AAC 96kbps using Tidal? Or any way of playing proper hi res?
Thanks

18000rpm

Has anyone been successful in using HEOS to play higher than AAC 96kbps using Tidal? Or any way of playing proper hi res?
Thanks
I connect my Windows PC to the Marantz via HDMI. It can play up to 24bit/192kHz.

Andysu

Major Contributor
can the marnatz cinema 50 do Dolby format 04 , 4.2.4

NatX

DLBC just dropped for Cinema 40. No news on AV 10 and Cinema 50 just yet. Anyone tried it out?

1701736866454-png.3542492

slacki

its a joke that people that bought dirac live full bandwith and now want to buy multi sub do have to pay 499 whereas the bundle is for 799.
so those who bought early and took the early adopter risk are now punished for 49$. dont know but that feels very very wrong to me. i hope dirac gives those who bought dirac live in the early days some sort of cashback/reduction.

Top Bottom