• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Avr for kef reference 1 meta?

Uniqued

So I’m currently using a 4.1 system. will use more channels in the future. Depends on WAF.

Atm I’m using denon 1300x which only have Multeq xt... with Kef reference 1 meta as front, ls50 as surround and B&W DB1D as subwoofer.
I’m a slow upgrader, so I want an avr that will last and take the most out of my speakers, but with a tight budget.
I’m using the app for the denon, and managed to get great results, but I’m looking for more, and better bass management.

I was looking for recommendations up to 2000$.
After some research, my main contenders are denon 3800 and onkyo tx-rz50.

Looked also at denon 4800/marantz cinema 40 (which might be too pricey for me..here it's double the price! ) and arcam avr11..
They cost around 3,399$.
While the 3800 cost around 1,630$

I care very much about stereo performance!

is the 3800 still a good option?
Will adding a power amp in the far future will improve anything?
Am I missing anything not going with the cinema 40/denon 4800?

I’m 50/50 movies and music. (That’s why I made my dream make true and got the reference)

Thanks in advance

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would definitely add an external power amp at least for the 2 fronts and leave the surrounds to the AVR. Take a look at Purifi Eigentakt or Hypex NCoreX based amps from Apollon, Buckeye, boXem, Nord, etc.

OP
U

Uniqued

I would definitely add an external power amp at least for the 2 fronts and leave the surrounds to the AVR. Take a look at Purifi Eigentakt or Hypex NCoreX based amps from Apollon, Buckeye, boXem, Nord, etc.
so you think the 3800 is enough?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is one of the best measured AVRs, not that is is much better than an average DAC, but if you want to mix HT with music than this AVR is a nice compromise.
For 100% music uncompromised, than a separate DAC would be better, but then you would have to switch music <=> HT every time, maybe not so convenient.
Choices. :)

OP
U

Uniqued

It is one of the best measured AVRs, not that is is much better than an average DAC, but if you want to mix HT with music than this AVR is a nice compromise.
For 100% music uncompromised, than a separate DAC would be better, but then you would have to switch music <=> HT every time, maybe not so convenient.
Choices. :)
I saw that amir didn't recommend it tho?
I also own a wiim pro, that I could use to stream music.
is the denon 4800/cinema 40 worth double the price? is the end results that far from each other?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
so you think the 3800 is enough?
Only you can tell, because it depends on your listening habit and your distance from the speakers.

According to KEF, the ref 1 meta specs are:

Impedance: 4 ohm nominal, 3.2 ohm minimum
Sensitivity: 85 dB/2.83V/1m
Amplifier requirements: 50-200 W

Try an online calculator to find out what it tells you about power requirements:

So for sensitivity, enter 82 dB to allow for the lower impedance, as those calculators are normally based on 8 ohm impedance.

If the calculator shows your power requirements is low, say below 100 W, then the 3800, or Cinema 50 (if you can get it for the same price as the 3800) should be good enough, though I agree with Matias, that you should at least add an external power amplifier for the Reference 1 meta, if you want to have peace of mind, that is, getting the feeling that you are not short changing those relatively expensive speakers.

OP
U

Uniqued

Only you can tell, because it depends on your listening habit and your distance from the speakers.

According to KEF, the ref 1 meta specs are:

Impedance: 4 ohm nominal, 3.2 ohm minimum
Sensitivity: 85 dB/2.83V/1m
Amplifier requirements: 50-200 W

Try an online calculator to find out what it tells you about power requirements:

So for sensitivity, enter 82 dB to allow for the lower impedance, as those calculators are normally based on 8 ohm impedance.

If the calculator shows your power requirements is low, say below 100 W, then the 3800, or Cinema 50 (if you can get it for the same price as the 3800) should be good enough, though I agree with Matias, that you should at least add an external power amplifier for the Reference 1 meta, if you want to have peace of mind, that is, getting the feeling that you are not short changing those relatively expensive speakers.
thanks!
I'm not sure I understand how to use the calculator.
the room is 4x5 meters, listening from around 3 meters.

You think the cinema 50 is a better value than the 3800?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks!

You think the cinema 50 is a better value than the 3800?
If the price is the same, yes. If $300 more, no way, imo...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks!
Did it for you, at 3 meters, if the loudest you listen to is 10-15 dB below reference level, the 3800 has enough juice, but I would still recommed a 200W/350W 8/4 ohm rated amp for the reference one regardless.

Descartes

Major Contributor
So I’m currently using a 4.1 system. will use more channels in the future. Depends on WAF.

Atm I’m using denon 1300x which only have Multeq xt... with Kef reference 1 meta as front, ls50 as surround and B&W DB1D as subwoofer.
I’m a slow upgrader, so I want an avr that will last and take the most out of my speakers, but with a tight budget.
I’m using the app for the denon, and managed to get great results, but I’m looking for more, and better bass management.

I was looking for recommendations up to 2000$.
After some research, my main contenders are denon 3800 and onkyo tx-rz50.

Looked also at denon 4800/marantz cinema 40 (which might be too pricey for me..here it's double the price! ) and arcam avr11..
They cost around 3,399$.
While the 3800 cost around 1,630$

I care very much about stereo performance!

is the 3800 still a good option?
Will adding a power amp in the far future will improve anything?
Am I missing anything not going with the cinema 40/denon 4800?

I’m 50/50 movies and music. (That’s why I made my dream make true and got the reference)

Thanks in advance
For Reference One Meta I would use an external Purifi amplifier rather than an AVR either 3800 or 4800!
These speakers are outstanding and deserve better amplification.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For Reference One Meta I would use an external Purifi amplifier rather than an AVR either 3800 or 4800!
These speakers are outstanding and deserve better amplification.
Absolutely, just because one can use the 3800, does not mean one should.

Top Bottom