• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 installed

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In one of the videos from Cedia, the Marantz guy said Cinema 40 is between SR7015 and SR8015. Here's the video:

Great question about 5.1 customers looking to buy a new AVR or upgrade. Essentially, you have to pay for all the features you have no use for and settle for a lesser product.

Someone needs to make a 7.2 high-end system with 200-300 watts for the LCR and 100 watts for the 2-4 surrounds and DAC quality out the wazoo especially for the LCR since we only need half of the DACs . It would put the 8015 to shame for $2,500-$3,000.

kmidst

Were you able to get the bass to sound better watching movies. I feel that the 50 sounds great for music but lacks a little in bass watching movies. To me it is just a very mild rumble and I'm using ml dynamos Any tips? I used the app to calibrate but did not change any bass frequencies.
Check in the setup menu, audio, Audyssey settings. Do you have the LFC turned on? The higher that is, the more it will try to adjust bass to keep it from resonating in the walls. That means it will attenuate it to an extent. Otherwise, check your level settings for subwoofer in the settings and check if you have an EQ active. Also check if Audyssey dynamic EQ is on, that can change it at a whim.

agalluppi3

When you say it's lacking bass, are you saying your speakers themselves aren't putting out bass or the sub isn't?
To my ears the bass was just a mild rumble now matter what setting I tried. There was no real punch to it watching movies. I reinstalled my old sony 1080 in the meantime while I wait for the x4800 and cinema 40 reviews. That old reciever has better bass respose then the cinema 50 I also had the x3800 and that was great for movies but lacked in music so I am hoping the 4800 or cinema 40 will be the balance I am looking for. People say go anthem but I just see the bugs frustrating me so I will stick with Denon or marrantz

ban25

To my ears the bass was just a mild rumble now matter what setting I tried. There was no real punch to it watching movies. I reinstalled my old sony 1080 in the meantime while I wait for the x4800 and cinema 40 reviews. That old reciever has better bass respose then the cinema 50 I also had the x3800 and that was great for movies but lacked in music so I am hoping the 4800 or cinema 40 will be the balance I am looking for. People say go anthem but I just see the bugs frustrating me so I will stick with Denon or marrantz
Audyssey will cut some bass out by default unless you add it back in via the app. I add a +6dB curve in MultEQ-X to improve bass response. I may drop it down 1-2 dB actually as I go back and forth on whether it's too much.

Also be sure to enable Dynamic EQ, as that will also increase bass response.

agalluppi3

Audyssey will cut some bass out by default unless you add it back in via the app. I add a +6dB curve in MultEQ-X to improve bass response. I may drop it down 1-2 dB actually as I go back and forth on whether it's too much.

Ok thanks for the tip. If I end up going with the cinema 40 i'll keep that in mind.

techsamurai

Yeah, thanks for sharing the solution.

You need the app for that and it costs $200.

Here's my opinion for Marantz in case they read this.

If the Cinema 50 is removing bass in an AVR during the calibration, then that's a bug and Audyssey is broken.

First, it shouldn't happen as the version of Audyssey (XT32) the Cinema 50 is using has been around since the SR6010 (7 models including the cinema 50) and I bet all 7 models had the same issue.

Second, if the app is the only way to correct it, then it should be free.

Third, why should every owner need to fix the curve manually?

Fourth, how many Cinema 50 owners will not fix it and get a substandard movie experience even though they paid top dollar?

What other models are doing that?

techsamurai

Interesting. How old is your Sony 1080? Is it the one I'm thinking of with the bump on the fascia? :)

Also interesting that the 3800 was better for movies than music. I had the same impression when I bought a Denon 15 years ago. I guess not much has changed even after the Sound United merge.

agalluppi3

Interesting. How old is your Sony 1080? Is it the one I'm thinking of with the bump on the fascia? :)

Also interesting that the 3800 was better for movies than music. I had the same impression when I bought a Denon 15 years ago. I guess not much has changed even after the Sound United merge.
the sony dnr-1080( about 3 years I guess) The 3800 also had hdmi control switching issues and the marrantz was flawless when it came to that. I did use the app as well for audyssey 32 and just could not get that bass right with the cinema 50 I have heard good things about the x-4800h so far thought. It could just be I needed to be a sound engineer to get the cinema's 50's bass response nice and tight. I did try and listened to reviewers as well but just could not get there:(

slacki

you added one 0 too much, at least for the android version, and for some tech-nerds the app is "free", if u know what i mean...

If the Cinema 50 is removing bass in an AVR during the calibration, then that's a bug and Audyssey is broken.
why should it be a bug when the software measures your room is bad and fixes that by reducing bass? i also had this on my SR7011, i added +3db on the sub out and done, all works as expected, including punchy bass. looks more like a layer 8 problem to me.

agalluppi3

you added one 0 too much, at least for the android version, and for some tech-nerds the app is "free", if u know what i mean...

why should it be a bug when the software measures your room is bad and fixes that by reducing bass? i also had this on my SR7011, i added +3db on the sub out and done, all works as expected, including punchy bass. looks more like a layer 8 problem to me.
Yeah, thanks for sharing the solution.

Here's my opinion for Marantz in case they read this.

First, it shouldn't happen as the version of Audyssey (XT32) the Cinema 50 is using has been around since the SR6010 (7 models including the cinema 50) and I bet all 7 models had the same issue.

Second, if the app is the only way to correct it, then it should be free.

Third, why should every owner need to fix the curve manually?

Fourth, how many Cinema 50 owners will not fix it and get a substandard movie experience even though they paid top dollar?

What other models are doing that?
The audyssey MultEQ app is only $20 btw

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Agreed, not really a bug. I have to do the same with Anthem ARCG and Dirac Live too. Audyssey uses a flat curve for bass, it tuns out most people prefer a tilted target curve, especially those who don't listen loud enough.

agalluppi3

Agreed, not really a bug. I have to do the same with Anthem ARCG and Dirac Live too. Audyssey uses a flat curve for bass, it tuns out most people prefer a tilted target curve, especially those who don't listen loud enough.
For
So I just need to adjust the curve in the curve editor(bass) from the app setting to get a tighter bass repsonse? If thats the case I may go back to cinema 50 or up to the 40 I loved eveything about the cinema 50 other then the lacklucster bass(it was more like a rolling earthquake then a shaker to me) so I never felt like I got that movie theatre experience)

ban25

The audyssey MultEQ app is only $20 btw
Not slacki, but I was referring to MultiEQ-X, the $200 application for Windows made by Audyssey. The $20 mobile app is made by D+M and has some trade-offs compared to the PC app (albeit ones that one may find to be entirely acceptable given the price difference).

agalluppi3

Not slacki, but I was referring to MultiEQ-X, the $200 application for Windows made by Audyssey. The $20 mobile app is made by D+M and has some trade-offs compared to the PC app (albeit ones that one may find to be entirely acceptable given the price difference).
Oh gotcha. man that's a lot for an app. I didn't even know there was one that expensive. Sorry about that

ArturoKiwi

All is relative. Once upon a time, when the Adobe licence were permanet Lightroom cost were about 250€ and Photoshop 900€

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For

So I just need to adjust the curve in the curve editor(bass) from the app setting to get a tighter bass repsonse? If thats the case I may go back to cinema 50 or up to the 40 I loved eveything about the cinema 50 other then the lacklucster bass(it was more like a rolling earthquake then a shaker to me) so I never felt like I got that movie theatre experience)

You can definitely get more likable bass if you spend an hour or two tweaking with the app:

Last edited:

ban25

So you use an AVR with Windows MultiEQ-X? How does that work? Or is the AVR only in amp-mode?
It's just a Windows application that connects to your receiver over the network and allows you measure the frequency response from multiple positions and then adjust a target curve using parametric EQ. You can also import a target curve from REW. Once finished, the new room EQ is uploaded to the AVR and assigned to the preset you choose.

multeqx.jpg

It's just a Windows application that connects to your receiver over the network and allows you measure the frequency response from multiple positions and then adjust a target curve using parametric EQ. You can also import a target curve from REW. Once finished, the new room EQ is uploaded to the AVR and assigned to the preset you choose.

View attachment 259945
Another that I like is the fact there are two speaker presets on the Cinema 50. Preset 1 is an Audyssey curve with a few tweaks and I use preset two to play around with.

Helical

Could any owners disclose what the porthole is displaying/is able to display during use? For example, will it show which sound format is being played?

Also, I’ve read on certain sites that the front on C50 is made out of metal, however, others have said it’s made out of plastic. Could anyone confirm which one it is?

Top Bottom