• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 installed

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
its a joke that people that bought dirac live full bandwith and now want to buy multi sub do have to pay 499 whereas the bundle is for 799.
so those who bought early and took the early adopter risk are now punished for 49$. dont know but that feels very very wrong to me. i hope dirac gives those who bought dirac live in the early days some sort of cashback/reduction.

Dirac's pricing just feels wrong to me altogether especially for D+M owners who have already paid for Audyssey. Imo, they should be given a break or some length evaluation period to determine if the person likes it more than Audyssey.

NatX

its a joke that people that bought dirac live full bandwith and now want to buy multi sub do have to pay 499 whereas the bundle is for 799.
so those who bought early and took the early adopter risk are now punished for 49$. dont know but that feels very very wrong to me. i hope dirac gives those who bought dirac live in the early days some sort of cashback/reduction.
I sincerely hope so too. Maybe we can email them as there are bundle deals for the C40. Reading other posts, there seems to be staff of Dirac here. Hope they can chime in. USD49 is a lot of money when converted to other currencies…

NatX

Dirac's pricing just feels wrong to me altogether especially for D+M owners who have already paid for Audyssey. Imo, they should be given a break or some length evaluation period to determine if the person likes it more than Audyssey.
To be fair to Dirac, I don’t think they’re doing anything wrong: you can use Audyssey at no additional cost or chose Dirac as an add on. If anything maybe it’s D+M who you can persuade to sell just the AVR and processors without correction then let us chose which one we want?
Chances are they won’t though… too much invested in Audyssey already

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be fair to Dirac, I don’t think they’re doing anything wrong: you can use Audyssey at no additional cost or chose Dirac as an add on. If anything maybe it’s D+M who you can persuade to sell just the AVR and processors without correction then let us chose which one we want?
Chances are they won’t though… too much invested in Audyssey already

A fair and valid point! I think it's accepted that manufacturers have to offer some form of room correction although for smaller companies integration with DIRAC might be the better solution.

slacki

i have no problem in paying for Dirac as i think its worth it, even if its expensive. But i feel screwed if those who waited or buy now get a cheaper price than those who paid in the early days more. I asked Dirac and seems like there is maybe some sort of discount available.

Geronimo.USMC

Hi. DIRAC does offer a 30 day evaluation of the license.

slacki

dlbc was available for the cinema 40, now its gone. wondering whats wrong there.

kjb

You will get an email to the address that you used when buying. Log in to dirac.com with the dirac account and activate the license with the key from the mail.

EWL5

Did you Marantz guys get the same 30% off DLBC email that us Denon users got?

slacki

awesome, the dirac supported manually activated my license now - i assume thats some sort of "email got blocked" for whatever reason, because i never got an email.

slacki

when the avr (marantz cinema 50) has my workstation where dirac runs connected and the TV, then i see only the dirac calibration page on the AVR and not anymore the screen of my workstation, which means... i need to buy a laptop to be able to configure dirac? feels very wrong to me. why is the marantz in a "blocked state" and does not allow to switch input/output? i must change to "blu-ray" input because thats where my workstation is connected to which runs the dirac software. ...
this is so ridiculous, somehow some of the outputs are at -55db, even tho i set them at -20db for measurement. so i go back to volume calibration, and its really master set again to -55db wtf?! so i set it to 20, do a measurement and notice all the time a high drop, like *something* changes the volume on the marantz. all the fcking time. really, this feels so beta-software.
the marantz is blocked to switch input, but when my stupid TV turns off because of energy saving, the marantz of course also turns off, in the middle of measurement. bravo!
even more funny are the absolutely wrong translations in german. to abort a measurement it states "Über diese Messung", which means in german "about this measurement". Just one of many translation errors... does every receiver have its own version of dirac live or how comes that such hardcore translation problems exist 0o
my arendal sub1 goes nuts because of those measurements, it keeps going into standby, wake up, standby, wakeup, then... -> red LED blinking ;) arendal has enough of dirac

Last edited:

NatX

when the avr (marantz cinema 50) has my workstation where dirac runs connected and the TV, then i see only the dirac calibration page on the AVR and not anymore the screen of my workstation, which means... i need to buy a laptop to be able to configure dirac? feels very wrong to me. why is the marantz in a "blocked state" and does not allow to switch input/output? i must change to "blu-ray" input because thats where my workstation is connected to which runs the dirac software. ...
this is so ridiculous, somehow some of the outputs are at -55db, even tho i set them at -20db for measurement. so i go back to volume calibration, and its really master set again to -55db wtf?! so i set it to 20, do a measurement and notice all the time a high drop, like *something* changes the volume on the marantz. all the fcking time. really, this feels so beta-software.
the marantz is blocked to switch input, but when my stupid TV turns off because of energy saving, the marantz of course also turns off, in the middle of measurement. bravo!
even more funny are the absolutely wrong translations in german. to abort a measurement it states "Über diese Messung", which means in german "about this measurement". Just one of many translation errors... does every receiver have its own version of dirac live or how comes that such hardcore translation problems exist 0o
my arendal sub1 goes nuts because of those measurements, it keeps going into standby, wake up, standby, wakeup, then... -> red LED blinking ;) arendal has enough of dirac

Had the -55 and sub issue before. Both these behaviours existed before the U32 update. They aren’t really issues - they are there to protect the system. If a project is restarted midway through, volume calibration automatically sets master volume to -55 to prevent damage to the speakers. Another way to trigger this behaviour is when you click on the volume calibration tab even in a saved project.

As for the sub issue, the signal being sent to the subs is too low, I found this happens when I calibrate at too loud a volume. I just pick about 20-25dB above the noise floor and the signal that gets sent is all good. When I tried to measure at a difference of 30dB and above I ran into this sub thing once or twice.

Save your projects regularly. That worked for me. Don’t give up ;)

slacki

yeah, dont give up, thats the important one ;)
i finished all now and i guess the result is very good.
i am not sure if my last measurements where so bad or if they optimized something, but it sounds really better now than my measurements i had the last half year or so.
i'll see when i have time to get REW measurements. wondering why there is no linux version for dirac. i have a laptop with debian. would save so much trouble :>

NatX

yeah, dont give up, thats the important one ;)
i finished all now and i guess the result is very good.
i am not sure if my last measurements where so bad or if they optimized something, but it sounds really better now than my measurements i had the last half year or so.
i'll see when i have time to get REW measurements. wondering why there is no linux version for dirac. i have a laptop with debian. would save so much trouble :>
Bravo! That’s the spirit!

Love DLBC on mine. Didn’t redo a single measurement from before - just loaded the project and activated DLBC, chose most crossovers around 80Hz to prevent localisation of bass and saved it. Wonderful rumble!

Disclaimer: I always run Dirac on a laptop connected to the Marantz over LAN. Love Debian by the way, maybe repartition a small partition to run windows and Dirac? Would make life easier :)

After running Dirac + DLBC, I have 3 filters on my Cinema 50. Dirac, Dirac + DLBC, and Dirac Bass Management. With Dirac I can adjust levels after exporting to the AVR. With the other two filters, DLBC and Bass Management I can't adjust the levels afterwards. I don't want to change much, just bump the center a bit. I prefer the DLBC filter at higher volumes but at lower I feel the center is a bit to low. Is there a way to do this?

Top Bottom