• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 50 AVR Review

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When you add Direct fees, might as well buy an Anthem.

Sure, but that would be a matter of opinion, and people have different opinions. Some people may prefer not only Dirac, but also the bells and whistles that Marantz has. Some may not mind Audyssey either, now that it is very tweakable with the app.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A few simple requests to improve the measurements @thin bLue

index.php

You have high pass filter of > 10 Hz which is good. But then you have the FFT on the top right going down to 1 Hz. You should raise that to 10 Hz to match.

Second, please use 3 times averaging for FFT. It cleans up a lot of noise there while still keeping it fairly interactive.

Also, I use 22.4 kHz bandwidth because it comes "for free" in the ADC filter of AP at lowest sampling rate. You are using the correct AES filter but it limits measurements to 20 kHz which can help increase SINAD a bit depending on the device.

With above changes, your FFT will then look closer to mine, making it easier to compare.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Thank you for taking your time to provide such valuable information. Do you own that AP? It is a very expensive test instrument to own for a hobbyist, I wish I had one lol..
If you do, then are you going to measure more gear for us ASR members? I suppose even if you don't mind doing the work, shipping costs back and forth is a problem, and you would need many friends who would be willing to ship you their gear, but I have to ask..:)
I have gained fairly free and comprehensive access to this equipment, but to be clear, in terms of ownership it does not belong to me!
Of course, I'll keep reviewing!

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
If you feed the normal stereo signal and put the avr in multi channel stereo all amp channels will be fed and that is a normal use scenario of the avr. Good effort keep it going!
We'll try that method next time! Thank you!!
I'm not that familiar with using AVRs, so this kind of advices are very helpful.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have gained fairly free and comprehensive access to this equipment, but to be clear, in terms of ownership it does not belong to me!
Of course, I'll keep reviewing!
I can only say thank you. To you for measuring, and to whomever that allows you to use the tools too.

Hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on different gear and we can keep getting surprises.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
A few simple requests to improve the measurements @thin bLue

index.php

You have high pass filter of > 10 Hz which is good. But then you have the FFT on the top right going down to 1 Hz. You should raise that to 10 Hz to match.

Second, please use 3 times averaging for FFT. It cleans up a lot of noise there while still keeping it fairly interactive.

Also, I use 22.4 kHz bandwidth because it comes "for free" in the ADC filter of AP at lowest sampling rate. You are using the correct AES filter but it limits measurements to 20 kHz which can help increase SINAD a bit depending on the device.

With above changes, your FFT will then look closer to mine, making it easier to compare.
WOW, Thanks for pointing out an important point! As always, your help is greatly appreciated!
Now I can see Monitor/Meters Tab way easier and more accurate!!!!!
I thought I should use FFT tab for detailed manual settings and does not work on Monitors/Meters Tab on my SW Ver. Thanks a LOT!!!!!

스크린샷(341).png
스크린샷(342).png

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Noticed one more thing: :)
View attachment 254871

Is there a reason you are using -0.4 dB here? As you may know, I use 0 dBFS.
Showed little clippings for 0. So, I gave some advantages for them.
Set 0dBFS will show little worse numbers, I forgot to mention!!! Thanks!

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
I can only say thank you. To you for measuring, and to whomever that allows you to use the tools too.

Hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on different gear and we can keep getting surprises.
I'm seriously considering a high performance benchtop multimeter, and since it's going to be a personal purchase, then we might see some more interesting results!

Judging from my very brief sight, The beauty of measurement and standards is that review producers are not in competition with each other, but in a cooperative relationship where the more there are, the better the overall accuracy. And even better, there is a lot of passionate encouragements from people like you!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm seriously considering a high performance benchtop multimeter, and since it's going to be a personal purchase, then we might see some more interesting results!

Judging from my very brief sight, The beauty of measurement and standards is that review producers are not in competition with each other, but in a cooperative relationship where the more there are, the better the overall accuracy. And even better, there is a lot of passionate encouragements from people like you!
Science has the 'magical' capacity to provide understanding beyond ourselves, our languages, our politics, our ages...

For me, it has a part of pure selfishness: I want to upgrade the electronics of multichannel system. I believe in spend once, cry once. Reviews like this help me taking informed decisions and fair aims.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Science has the 'magical' capacity to provide understanding beyond ourselves, our languages, our politics, our ages...

For me, it has a part of pure selfishness: I want to upgrade the electronics of multichannel system. I believe in spend once, cry once. Reviews like this help me taking informed decisions and fair aims.
Thank you again for your warm comments!

NHL99

What was the conclusion, Panther-wise, regarding the new and design polished Marantz Cinema 50?

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
What was the conclusion, Panther-wise, regarding the new and design polished Marantz Cinema 50?
Well I really don't know about AVRs, But It looks SOSO to me! It's not particularly good, but it doesn't look that bad.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ok, if this allready comes with Audyssey, why would you pay extra for Dirac?
Is Dirac really better?

Iam also curious about the preout function. If using external amps the cheaper cinema 60 and cinema 70 come into play.

Deividas

Hi, all

sorry to be this guy who asks for pretty much obvious answer (for some), but can someone please tell me DAC SINAD for this?

I have Dneon 3700H for some time now, and I really love pretty much everything about it except for the horrible phone app. Regarding DAC SINAD Marantz always seem to underperfom compared to Denon for some reason. I am looking forward to do an upgrade to 3800H or Marantz Cinema 50 just for its looks (I know many find it ugly, I find it to be just simply beautiful). So I am wondering if DAC performance is the same this time around or is it still worse then Denon. My first post here :D

Brambo67

Hi, all

sorry to be this guy who asks for pretty much obvious answer (for some), but can someone please tell me DAC SINAD for this?

I have Dneon 3700H for some time now, and I really love pretty much everything about it except for the horrible phone app. Regarding DAC SINAD Marantz always seem to underperfom compared to Denon for some reason. I am looking forward to do an upgrade to 3800H or Marantz Cinema 50 just for its looks (I know many find it ugly, I find it to be just simply beautiful). So I am wondering if DAC performance is the same this time around or is it still worse then Denon. My first post here :D
Search in the reviews. You'll find the updated 3700 and 4700 have alternative DAC-chips. Same applies to 3800, 4800 and Marantz 50 (40 as well?) So from that perspective you will make a step back. Phone app for Marantz is similar to Denon apart from look. Denon 3800 is tested by Amirm and 'judged'; 'Not Recommended' due to worsened DAC-performance. Marantz 50 is 'measured' and has slightly better performance from figures perspective. So if you own Denon 3700 with AKM DAC, and don't need more than two subs, you will find 'upgrading' to be downgrading. Off course in real life you would be be the only person alive hearing difference between 87 SINAD and 97 SINAD. Only if you are looking for 'objective' notable (by measuring instrument) difference you definetely don't want to change.

Deividas

Thank you for the answer. I think you are right, even if Dac performance is the same, the only changes Im getting is ability to use two subs in "stereo mode" and Dirac (which is not yet available and costs a fortune). Thanks. The only alternative might be rumored Pionee recievers Lx 705, with independant subs and Dirac Bass control calibration, but its just a rumor for now

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, all

IMO, SINAD is a way to choose the best performing one given the features (including looks, size, power etc) you want. As long as the features, size, look,power you already have is enough I think there is no need to look for another one.

Top Bottom